Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-7-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Probability distribution

Consider a spherical quantum mechanical system's radial wave function of n>1 with radial symmetry. Despite having a spherical harmonic multiplier, if there is a node in the radial wave function, there would be one or more 0 probability density point.
Like so. (0s of 2s, 3s, 2p, 3p)

since they are radially symmetrical, or at least proportional to the spherical harmonics, there would be a 3 dimensional surface that envelopes the nucleus with a 0 probability density on that particular surface. On either side of it the probability density exhibits non-zero values (possible to have same electron observable on either side of that zero probability surface.

Is the motion or position of such quantum mechanical entity or charge density not continuous. I know it is supposed to be a standing wave and it is not restricted by classical mechanical parameter as much as I would like to think.

Here is the real problem. If we consider an electron in a bounded state with a nucleus it is not out of the scope of this question to consider the electron as a highly localized charge density in space that behaves like a wave. if such wave were to cross the node, it would somewhat make sense to never having 'physically' arrived at the specific node, however that would require me to consider that the charge density, if observable as a 3 dimensionally colored area, still has to skip over the probability node. Since nothing can go superluminal in it's own frame of reference it must have had to disappear from area 1, wait a certain amount of time (time it takes to cross the surface) if it were to not exceed the speed of light.
How can such wave function be normalized as 1, and do I have to think of it as charge density leaving the dimension and coming back after a frame of time? Since even space is quantized surely there should not be a gradient of existence even if the entity is purely a wave?
I did refer to my professor about the properties of a bounded electron, it should not be considered as a classic mechanically physical entity, but electron charge should be able to be viewed as point based and should still be limited by speed of light?

Last edited by Renevatia; 03-7-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Renevatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm
Default Re: Probability distribution

I'm sure your question makes sense to some people. I don't know if I'm one of those people, but here goes.

In short, yes. Electrons can and do "jump" from one orbital to another without traversing the intervening distance when they absorb or give off quanta of energy. However, this does not break relativity's restriction on superluminal velocities because from a probability standpoint, the electron could have been up in the excited state the whole time and just then gained the energy to stay up in the higher shell.

The tl;dr version of my answer: Quantum mechanics is weird as FUCK.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

this explains why my skill jumps are random, yeah.
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

The suggestion of teleportation would happen only if p=0 is a non-defined area of space (like an open ended cylinder) so as to never be able to ever move around it.
I'm definitely not versed at all in this field, but I'm envisioning areas of probability=0 as spherical-ish, closed areas that are completely bound within the p>0 area of the electron.
I guess it doesn't even have to be completely closed either, all you need is 1 p>0 pathway for an electron sphere.

If there do exist some totally distinct electron clouds, then I'd say electrons are never shared between those clouds. But of course, since atoms don't really exist as separate, unique individual entities, there's probably always another atom's electrons to jump to first before jumping to, say, the other side of it's own atom.

Last edited by Cavernio; 03-19-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote