Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default True Super Metroid Player Now

So I got back out my Super Nintendo and played the most classic game ever - Super Metroid. I decided I'd try and do some sequence skips/tricks. I was successful in a few things, like getting the Energy tank in Brinstar without the Highjump boots by having the enemy strike me and knock me up into the tank. Once back around to the main part of Brinstar, I was able to get a couple of middle upgrades early by wall jumping.

My first sequence skip I managed was to beat Kraid without entering Norfair. I walljumped to get the spacer early, then used bombs to get into Kraids area. The fight was a bit tougher than usual because if you got knocked down, you'd have to walk jump to get back up to shoot him in the face.

My next skip kind of backfired on me. I got the wave beam early (wall jumping), and went down and knocked the big red boss into the lava (forgot his name). When I kept going, I forgot I needed the powerbombs to get the grappling hook. To get back up the long shaft, it required a lot of wall jumping. I had to get the Ice beam and the powerbomb anyways to progress, so I'll have to plan better for that next time. (I had tried to get the first powerbomb early, but that's really tough to pull off).

Going back and playing this game has been a great experience. I love how the developers left in these skips for people who have played the game before. I watched and amazing video of someone running the bosses in reverse order - just the idea of going through lower Norfair without the Varia Suit is insane. Replaying the game is bringing back a lot of nostalgia.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: True Super Metroid Player Now

Makes you wonder if they designed the game for sequence breaking.. If you look at similar metroid style games like some of the GBA castlevanias, the sequence breaking is still there but it's not nearly as in depth.

Can you mockball though? ;p
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Nice man The crazy amount of different ways that you can play that game is a big reason why I speedrun it. Soooo many different ways to get around every room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
When I kept going, I forgot I needed the powerbombs to get the grappling hook. To get back up the long shaft, it required a lot of wall jumping. I had to get the Ice beam and the powerbomb anyways to progress, so I'll have to plan better for that next time. (I had tried to get the first powerbomb early, but that's really tough to pull off).
You actually passed right by some power bombs on the way to grapple that you could have gotten! If you have hi-jump and speed booster you can just run and jump up to the red door in the top left of this room. Might even be able to do it without speed booster, I don't remember. You have to wall jump off that tiny ledge most of the time though, so keep that in mind.

Do you plan on streaming it? I'd be down to watch Always interesting to see how newer players get around and discover various things.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I haven't tried a full out speedrun, but I'd consider trying it. I'll try that trick - I saw a video of someone using the speedboost there.

Edit:// I have not pulled off the Mockball trick, looks very tough to do

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 02-10-2017 at 12:58 PM..
TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
demonllama6124
im your grandpa!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to demonllama6124 Send a message via Yahoo to demonllama6124

At one point, I managed to 100% the game in under an hour. I cannot remember for the life of me how to do it anymore and would need to watch videos again. SM is still one of my all time favorite snes games and I'm glad I have it complete in box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
OP, WTFBrandon & demonllama6124

Only Men here with Manly Man hairy legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
leonid, please shut the fuck up before I make you.
Help decide which game I should play next. Trying to beat all my games
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...47#post4489647
demonllama6124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
I'll try that trick - I saw a video of someone using the speedboost there.
You don't actually need full speed to get up there. Having speed booster just gives you higher jump height if you get a small running start. Running up that little hill from the spawner is more than enough to get a height boost to get up to the ledge.