Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222
Exclamation How To Get Accepted Into The FFR Community

I've noticed recently that FFR is expanding rapidly, yet the number of forum regulars shows a indirect relationship. One of the main reasons as to why this is occurring is due to the fact of the shunning on newbs. It is not entirely their fault as some users are new to forums and do not understand the best way to present themselves to a site. Note: Not all young users are unintelligent, so don't assume this. I've compiled a list that includes the main rules of the site, and expands and applies them into the current community's standards:

1. Read All The Forum Rules

This is a must-do. I realize that many new members don't read the stickies nor the announcements, but reading the rules is extremely important. It will give you a basic understanding of how the board operates and how you should behave. FFR has a fairly standard set of forum rules, but reading it won't hurt.

2. Does Your Post Contribute?

This is where a lot of new posters get burned. They find a thread, such as "DDR SuperNOVA". They think, "Wow, I like DDR", and decide to post in it. Before you do this, think to yourself, "Will my post contribute in any way to the thread?". Example: "Wow, I love DDR, it is so much fun". While this may be true, it doesn't really contribute to the purpose of the thread, which is discussion of the newly-released DDR machine in arcades.

An example of a model post would be something along the lines of, "Yeah, my arcade just received DDR SuperNOVA as well. I played it and enjoyed the song selection, even though I didn't like the new graphics". This post is clearly better. It contributes to the purpose of the thread by keeping the subject of the sentence DDR SuperNOVA (The topic at-hand), and giving your own personal opinion on the game, with pros and cons, that may affect others' opinion on said game. That is a worthwhile post.

3. Type Coherently.

I can not stress this enough. Even if you follow the above mentioned rules, but you type in such a way that makes you appear unintelligent, or just plain silly, your opinion and you will not be respected, and there is a chance you may be flamed. Example:"o, ddr suparnova is teh shiz yo, i played it this mornin, i din't lik duh gfx, but duh songs wer 1337!!!!!!". That, my new friends, is a very bad post. Although it does follow the rules, and contributes to the thread, it comes off as unintelligent, lazy, and hard to read.

An example of a coherent(or easily able to understand using correct English) sentence would be,"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, ranging from pop to IDM. I don't really like the new graphical style involved, it distracts me away from the gameplay, making it hard to focus". This post clearly states the intent of your opinion, while making it enjoyable to read, and explains in great detail, which leads me to my next point.

4. Use An Educated Vocabulary

Here at FFR, the more intelligent you present your opinion, the better it will be received. The example I gave in the last step:"
Quote:
"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, ranging from pop to IDM. I don't really like the new graphical style involved, it distracts me away from the gameplay, making it hard to focus."
is a great example of an educated vocabulary. Using intelligent adjectives adds a distinguished meaning to the noun. It makes your opinion look well-thought out, and will be received better by the reader.

Examples of an uneducated vocabulary include: netspeek(1337 Speak, 3117 Haxxorz etc) aim lingo(hey was ^, yt? brb, lol, g2g). Stay away from shorthand. Type everything out. Also, punctuate correctly. This makes a huge impact on your post, it signifies coherency and organizes your thoughts into easily separated ideas. Always capitalize where necessary, and use all periods, commas, and apostrophes.

5. Veteran Respect:

There are a lot of members who have been on this site much longer than you. They have earned their respect, and expect to be respected. Just be intelligent and all will be well. Common courtesy is all anyone needs.

In conclusion, I think this guide provides ample amount of practical advice to help you gain the respect of all of us here at FFR. Don't ever be afraid to post, as long as you follow these guidelines here, members will be thankful that someone new and intelligent has joined. They may praise you even. Most of us are cool people here, just respect the rules and FFR's forums will grow into something better than ever!

Last edited by Tps222; 06-7-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: How To Get Accepted Into The FFR Community

Edited for spelling.

Fishing for a sticky eh? Well you caught the big one.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
Silver_Brian
¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(o_°)/¯
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Except to noobs, this is just another sticky. What have we learned about (most) noobs and stickies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle-master
i now have another excuse to grow a dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
"i've seen your little boy's penis"
Silver_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

We'll find out how it goes.

It has a bigger "click me!" aspect to it than the other stickies.

~Squeek
Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter

Even though noobs don't read stickies, there are people that do and we forget about those people and tend to just remember the stupid posters over the ones trying.

Also this way there is no excuse for why people act idiotically. As a precident has been set.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

This should be titled "Common Sense" Which, unfortunately, a lot of newbs are lacking nowdays.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
xDdRmAnIaCx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xDdRmAnIaCx Send a message via MSN to xDdRmAnIaCx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222
"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I greatly enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, ranging from pop to IDM(jk). Although the newly-rendered graphics were not of my liking, as they distracted the senses away from the game, making it hard to focus".

Although you do use a nice vocabulary in that sentence, the grammar of the last sentence is a bit off, which threatens the coherency of that post.

"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I greatly enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, ranging from pop to IDM(jk). The newly-rendered graphics were not of my liking, as they distracted the senses away from the game, and made it hard to focus".

Thanks,

NiK

xDdRmAnIaCx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

After re-reading that, I see where you are right. Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDdRmAnIaCx
Although you do use a nice vocabulary in that sentence, the grammar of the last sentence is a bit off, which threatens the coherency of that post.

"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I greatly enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, ranging from pop to IDM(jk). The newly-rendered graphics were not of my liking, as they distracted the senses away from the game, and made it hard to focus".

Thanks,

NiK
Wrong.

The correct way to say this is:

"I played DDR SuperNOVA yesterday. I greatly enjoyed the diversity of the song selection, which ranged from pop to IDM (jk). The newly-rendered graphics were not to my liking, as they distracted the senses away from the game, making it hard to focus[b]."

The original "ranging", as the predicate of a dependent clause, refers back to the subject of the main clause, "I". I assume that the intent is for it to refer to the prepositional object "song selection", which intent is easily accomplished by the demonstrated correction. Furthermore, Nik introduced an error (the last comma should not be there) and subtly changed the meaning of the sentence, as in the modified sentence the graphics made it hard to focus, whereas in the original sentence the distraction of the senses away from the game made it hard to focus.

-fs

Last edited by flamingspinach; 04-23-2006 at 06:45 PM..
flamingspinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
Kles
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Kles Send a message via MSN to Kles

Spelling and grammar are for pussies.
Kles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Renommus
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Renommus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kles
Spelling and grammar are for pussies.
You can talk, with your good spelling and grammar.
This song from KR ver O2Jam.Is All mixing some insane brb stylish hardcore and pain song. Step is All dificalts in very very hard pain. and,ZK stylish steps and Keyboard step. Oni step is 2500note over in Death Step. Oni step is very very danger....128th note runbles and green pain step!!!
You can Pass Oni step?? Hardest in pain step.

Have a Enjoy!!!!
Renommus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Kil-
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Kil-

You haven't even begun to affect Tps's horrific "grammar". A more productive effort would be getting him to stop typing various "sentences" and to start communicating through a crude system of grunts and hand gestures.

Last edited by Kil-; 04-23-2006 at 07:25 PM..
Kil- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

umm...
One of the main reasons as to why this is ocurring...
occurring

...into easiler separated ideas...
easily... separated...

Always capitalize where necesarry, and use all periods, commas, and appostrophes.
...necessary ... apostrophes

...to understand using correct english
(Capitalize the 'E')

and explains in great detail. Which leads me to my next point.
(Not a sentence, which is not a noun)

Is a great example of an educated vocabulary.
(continuation of previous sentance, is should not be capitalized)

And I don't know how many times you forgot to but a space before opening a bracket.

...but I appreciate the effort. Really. I'm just trying to make a good thread more... credible.

Last edited by Squeek; 06-8-2006 at 09:11 PM..
alainbryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Made most of the changes. Not going through for all the checks on the spacing.

~Squeek
Old 06-8-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainbryden
umm...
One of the main reasons as to why this is ocurring...
occurring

...into easiler seperated ideas...
easily... seperated...

Always capitalize where necesarry, and use all periods, commas, and appostrophes.
...necessary ... apostrophes

...to understand using correct english
(Capitalize the 'E')

and explains in great detail. Which leads me to my next point.
(Not a sentance, which is not a noun)

Is a great example of an educated vocabulary.
(continuation of previous sentance, is should not be capitalized)

And I don't know how many times you forgot to but a space before opening a bracket.

...but I appreciate the effort. Really. I'm just trying to make a good thread more... credible.
sentence
separated

also, MrESqueek, while you're at it, could you edit in my corrected version of the example sentence too?
Old 06-8-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
plasmix
FFR Player

Um this topic is pretty useless. There are only two ways to be accepted into this community.

1. Make good simfiles.
2. Be witty.
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
FluorescentArmy
Forum User

Send a message via AIM to FluorescentArmy Send a message via Yahoo to FluorescentArmy

Quote:
I've noticed recently that FFR is expanding rapidly, yet the number of forum regulars shows a indirect relationship.
Shows AN indirect relationship
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #18
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

this is a thread

it is made of irony and bickering

Quote:
3. Type Coherently.
<3
Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #19
CL_BLAZZE
Banned

wow
CL_BLAZZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
Tps222
FFR Player

Wow, I do have terrible grammar. Although it has improved significantly since the original post was made, I am having trouble with the size of my sentences. I seem to use to many commas, and in the wrong places. I appreciate the effort everyone made to scrutinize and correct my laughable grammar, and I say that without sarcasm.