Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-3-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
XUioX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to XUioX
Default Public Speaking DD=

So next week on monday, my history class will be presenting our powerpoint projects on Africa. Really is this a big deal? Maybe it isnt... But for me? Its a HUGE DEAL!

Public speaking is one of the things i cannot do at all. Its practically one of my biggest weaknesses of all. When i get called up to present something infront of my class, i swear, i practically lose it. Basically what will happen to me is, when i walk up to the front, i first refuse to look at anyone in the class, next when im about to speak, my throat ties up in knots so its difficult to talk without choking, then i start to shake.

Today, i had to go up front and present a spanish dialog assignment with my partner... we were making a conversation in spanish, and we had to read what we wrote. After he talked, i almost lost it.. my whole head just went insane, then i started to speak, and i had to use everything i could to keep it together.. and luckily i just made it out of that. BUT, on monday, i have to do a 5 minute presentation, all by myself, no partners, in front of my class, and i dont know what im going to do. I need advice.

First, have you had any past experiences with public speaking that your not happy about?

Next, Have you overcome your fear in public speaking?

and lastly, got any advice for me?

AIM = Dylanxlol25
Feel free to add!
XUioX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
knuckles2224
Angel Island ♥
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Public Speaking DD=

Either embarrass yourself from going mentally crazy from public speaking
Or
You can just do it and get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrekusuof93 View Post
Knuckles you're just a rebel
knuckles2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

Do you have low self esteem?
That's a serious question, I don't see why you would have troubles in front of classmates you have probably known for awhile (grade 9/10??)
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
XUioX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to XUioX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekeb View Post
Do you have low self esteem?
Hmm... i guess i do have a low self esteem. The thing is, most of the time, i try not to talk when i dont need to talk, and i try not to draw attention. So basically its all a big shock when i have to speak.

AIM = Dylanxlol25
Feel free to add!
XUioX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
knuckles2224
Angel Island ♥
FFR Veteran

Just imagine that all the other students are like monkeys, maybe that'll be easier to talk then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrekusuof93 View Post
Knuckles you're just a rebel
knuckles2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Protip: Before you go up to speak and you're still sitting down, you should loosen and tighten your leg muscles to expend some of the nervous energy you have. Don't do it so hard that you hurt yourself though.

Also, I know it's cliche, but even out your breating. Slow down your heart rate by being calm and not taking quick, panicked breaths.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Practice talking in front of a mirror. Or get your family and friends together and read the speech to them first. That's what my Speech teacher said last year.
Old 10-3-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

i actually talk all the time during class, and don't have a problem with public speaking.
do you get nervous about being in front of your classmates? or making mistakes? or both?

Rehearse your performance in front of your parent(s). it builds confidence, but the one thing i always try and do is:

Don't think of your classmates as judgmental, look around at them during the performance and just focus on them being the same as your parents.

either way we all make mistakes
have fun with it

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
fido123
FFR Player

I have a speech impediment, I stutter a lot but have found ways to fix this. I remember in grade 8 almost in tears at the science fair because I couldn't talk at all because it was too nerve racking for me just knowing I was going to stutter and joke up and there was nothing I could do about it. Over the past two years I have recently came out of my shell a little and I found the best way to overcome my speech impediment and nervousness of public speaking is to really, be comfortable with how others view you as it is always better than you think it with a low self-esteem and for projects like these, understand nobody cares and nobody but the teacher is actually listening to you.

Last edited by fido123; 10-3-2008 at 10:34 PM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

I used to have this problem, until I realized the people watching my presentation don't even pay attention to it. I recommend going first if you have the choice, if you can't help but feel nervous get it over with.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

I have a few tips which worked for me when I was nervous in front of people.

1. Pretend no one matters, and no matter what happens you're always better than they are.
2. If you mess up, laugh and say 'dang' quietly outloud.
3. Expend energy before that class, run like a km or mile, whatever, as fast as you can.
4. Ask your teacher to randomly select you, so you don't know when your turn is. Request that you go first so you don't have anything to beat.
5. Make yourself all happy and pretend that your having a discussion with yourself.
Old 10-3-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
OrganisM
FFR Player

Practice in front of the mirror while fapping. It will make things so much easier when you don't have to get up in front of the class and masturbate while speaking.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-3-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
s0ulst0n3
<SPACE FOR RENT>
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via AIM to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via MSN to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Yahoo to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Skype™ to s0ulst0n3

Past experiences: As many people know, I am the lead singer and guitarist for a band, so nerves come pretty common for me. I have to go up on stage in front of a bunch of strangers and play music they may not even enjoy. It's usually either lose or win, but in one case someone requested we play Call Me by Blondie. Okay..I told him we didn't know the song, but he said he didn't care how horrible we played as long as it was decent. I mostly hummed it, since we all do listen to the song. Dylan and Nathan both listen to it frequently and play it so it wasn't a problem for them.

Afterwards, he started laughing, talking **** and just being unreasonable. He made everyone laugh at us and made a complete fool of us. I took it unprofessionally, and just left all mad.

Have I overcome fear of public speaking: Not completely, but I am way more confident than I used to be. Singing is worse than speaking in my opinion as people are looking for quality in your voice. Just for flat out speaking, I have overcome this in class presentations. I mean, it's not like they will care, right? It's for marks, not for impressing people (except for the teacher).

Advice/Tips: I recommend doing the best you possibly can. Look at the class and don't hide behind your paper. Being afraid can only get you less marks and embarrass you more. Why lose marks just because people are immature and rude? That is, if they are.

Another tip I recommend is to try to smile and look confident. Looking at everyone with your eyes closed is still alright at times, but it isn't something you should do frequently. Smiling, popping jokes, and arm gestures are the most important parts.

NOW! How to help you with your fear. Disregard all these things that will help your mark. Just think how they are thinking. When they look at you and see you standing up there, what is running through their head? Is it, "Haha, this guy is nervous as heck and can't talk worth ****". Or is it, "Wow, this guy can stand up there and do a great presentation without being scared! I wish I could be like that!". It's good to think in their position as it sometimes helps me. It makes me think..heck, I'm doing pretty decent, aren't I?

Some people find this works, but I personally don't. Look at the class, but don't look at them. Kind of cross your eyes and look at no one in particular. It may reduce your embarrassment if you aren't talking to anyone indirectly. This has never worked for me, but my friend Dylan it works for. I guess I recommend this, it may just be the fact I am weird! Heehee. x3

Lastly, practice! You will be way more confident when you believe in yourself! The only way to do that is to study the presentation. You should only be scared if you KNOW you don't have correct information. Stuff that will make people say, "What the hell is this? That's not right at all". That kind of stuff is something you should avoid. If you have all correct information, then read over your speech over and over. Do you know what you're going to say? Are you confident you won't forget? If you aren't too confident, it's not too late to study and memorize enough information for a 5minute speech since this is next week. Bring flash cards. Ones you can look at for a split second and remember what you were going to say immediately!

Always remember, marks are more important than trying to impress your classmates. I have followed this bit of advice and never got under 96% on any presentation in my life. It may be stressful at the time, but it should end quickly.

Oh, 1 more thing. Try to go as early as you can. I feel less humiliated if I go first and I have no one to try to top. The person before you may make a humourous presentation which could be hard to top. Some teachers mark unfairly in situations like that. If it's too late to go first, then don't mind this. Just go at your best, try to poke in some appropriate jokes, and know your facts!!!

I wish you good luck on your presentation, buddy.

~Soul
Old 10-3-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Everyone in class is going to judge you as a person from this report.

You better do good or kiss your social life goodbye.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Jesus soulstone that was a little unnecessary.

What you need to do is realize all you're doing is giving a report, it's not like you're at the presidential debate. And besides, in the end, it's gonna happen, try not to be nervous before hand because otherwise you'll build up to bad when it actually happens.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-4-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulst0n3 View Post
Behold the wisdom of a 13 year old child!
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote