Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games

Old 03-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Altivu
FFR Player

Default Converting/Combining BMS music folder?

Hello, I admit now that this is going to be somewhat of a drive-by post as I do not play FFR anymore, but I was wondering if perhaps someone could quickly help me with something semi-related seeing as how there are a lot of stepartists here.

So I've ran into a few folders containing a bunch of fragmented .wav, seeming to be snippets of the instruments to the song (ex. .zip files found here.) I'm assuming that you normally load this into IIDX/similar music games and it'll convert it for you, but is there anyway to convert this into listenable format outside those means?

Thanks for any help; sorry if this question has been asked before, as I don't even know how to begin searching for answers.
Altivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Converting/Combining BMS music folder?

A few people have asked me this question, and so I'll just copy and paste the response:

Quote:
There is a program to convert the bms files to .wav (and then to .mp3). Download the BMX2WAV software here: http://childs.squares.net/program/bmx2wav/index.html (it's bmx2wav101020.zip)

Open up bmx2wav.exe. The program will open, but the language is in Japanese (and if you don't have the proper language pack, it'll show up as gibberish).

The first text box is the input. Find the .bms file in the song's folder (could also be .bme or a few other formats).
The second text box is the output, so just choose the folder you want the .wav file to end up.
The bottom right button is the processing/OK button. This will convert the .bms/.bme file into a .wav file.

Please note that each song's folder should have all of the potentially hundreds of sound files inside, usually as .ogg or .wav. The .bms/.bme file MUST be in the same folder as all of the other sound files in order for the program to work.

Sometimes you may get an error in the conversion. Unfortunately I haven't translated them. There are two kinds of notifications you might get; one of them says something about a sound file too large to be divided (idk what that means). The other one though will tell you that a particular sound file that the .bms file requires is missing*. Sometimes you can't do anything about it, but other times you might realize that the .bms file is not in the same folder as all of the other sounds, so move the file to the proper location.

Also note that there'll often be many .bms files in one folder. They just correspond to different difficulties, just like Stepmania would have several difficulties for one song (but would fit all in one .sm/.dwi file). It usually doesn't matter which one you choose. Sometimes though, different difficulties will actually sound different. For instance, the hardest difficulty may sound more complex than the easier difficulties. The difficulties are often notated as: Beginner (B), Light (L) or Normal (N), 7keys (7k) or Hyper (H), Another (A), and Black Another (BA) [from easiest to hardest difficulty].

Hope this helps!
*I've found out that missing sound files are often due to the files having incompatible file names, namely uncommon characters and symbols. The files are usually indeed present, but their names need to be changed in order for your computer to recognize them. This also means that the main .bms file needs to be edited in notepad, as the corresponding file names are also listed there.
Considering how BMS is of Japanese origin, coming across characters your computer fail to recognize is not uncommon.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Altivu
FFR Player

Default Re: Converting/Combining BMS music folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
snip
Ah. Thank you so much for the quick response. I had actually stumbled across that program searching for "bms to mp3" or the likes, but didn't realize that program was meant for the folders, and not just singular .bms files.

Thanks again bmah!
Altivu is offline   Reply With Quote