psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default Re: 12th Official Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
why not just set a baseline for what d8 is? like, at the current moment, every single person in D8 is level 100+ on FFR, what if D8 is just level 100+ lol
Because right now what I need to do is get the files ready to go or there is no tournament. I said I would be working on that, and what would come with going into D8 but no one has any patience.
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 08:29 PM   #22
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

i mean for the tournament, just stick everyone whos lvl 100+ and in d7 into d8
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 08:31 PM   #23
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

if u did that then evil smoke, josemba, matthia, zoobin, OWA and smartdude would go to d8 then d8 would have 12 ppl and d7 would have 22
Old 08-3-2019, 08:31 PM   #24
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

It's not as simple as all that. Not everyone's bothered to even try on some files. We don't just go "oh they're this level this is where they go"
Old 08-3-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

u could just consult with someone whos familiar with current top players and stuff, like for example everyone in etterna knows nate... fair enough though, i see what you mean
Old 08-3-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
u could just consult with someone whos familiar with current top players and stuff, like for example everyone in etterna knows nate... fair enough though, i see what you mean
We aren't at that point yet.....

It's been said numerous times and it's at the beginning of the thread. Placements get finalized just before the tournament starts, we have a team for this who checks through ranks individually and we have discussions on people who may be coming from things like OSU!

The initial placement with the ranking system is solely to give us a place to start from rather than having to do several pass-throughs during division placements.
Old 08-3-2019, 08:44 PM   #27
Shxfted
Godly
FFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

There is no good baseline for D8 on this game yet imo because there's a lack of files to even judge what the cutoff should be. Hard to judge a division cutoff with this small of a sample size of files. Though if I had to decide on a cutoff right now, it would at the very least be level 101, which still feels a little low honestly (edit: but those level 101 players are almost guaranteed to win D7 if they were the highest level there, there's already a huge gap between 99/100/101).

Last edited by Shxfted; 08-3-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Shxfted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:00 PM   #28
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

anyone with a top 10 score on 102+ should def be with in the entry of the d8 threshold imo
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:17 PM   #29
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

i mean the discussion of D8 being a thing has been going on for years. with how far into FFR we are now, it seems counter productive to even make a D8 at this point, especially considering the OT is less than a week away.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:30 PM   #30
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy View Post
i mean the discussion of D8 being a thing has been going on for years. with how far into FFR we are now, it seems counter productive to even make a D8 at this point, especially considering the OT is less than a week away.
The tournament start date really isn't all that relevant for the most part. No matter what the people in D8 are competing against one another whether it be in D7 or in D8. Initially, I did it with silly in there as kinda a joke but then was hearing people who were relieved to see it and now I've got a bunch against it.
Literally no matter what I do someone's gonna be unhappy.
Old 08-3-2019, 09:32 PM   #31
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy View Post
I think a D8 in the future is probably a good idea if people are progressing in the game past our wildest expectations and there's a serious range of skill in D7.

I also think that maybe if just shouldn't happen right now before the OT, especially if the cutoff is in question and there's probably no prep to accommodate another division.

If anything, this tournament should show us where all the D7 players land score wise and help us determine where the cutoff is.

So, I'm in favor of pausing this discussion for the time being. Cut Pyschoangel a little break, get back on topic with the hype, and come back afterwards with some up to date numbers to continue the D8 Debate

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
Literally no matter what I do someone's gonna be unhappy.
Eh, when it comes down to it you're the one making the calls, you should do you and internet whining aside I'm sure it won't tear the community up

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 08-3-2019 at 09:35 PM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:36 PM   #32
Pizza69
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

It seems to me like D8 would be a good idea if and only if the pool of 100+ files in FFR expands significantly. This tournament will help a bit with that, but a 100+ batch like Goldstinger suggests would be what we really need. I agree with the idea of D8, but implementing it with the tourney starting in a week seems like it may be a bit... messy.
Old 08-3-2019, 09:38 PM   #33
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

I can make it go, either way, it really doesn't matter to me I'm not directly affected by it in the tournament. What is affecting me is that I'm spending a lot of time in these discussions that come up and it takes away from what I do need to get done so I do appreciate the cut some slack and get back to hype part haha.

If staff wants to go ahead and have a discussion about it and see if they can find a cutoff that makes sense I'm fine with that too, I just want to make sure I prioritize what I absolutely NEED to have done. Cause if we have a D8 I can just have them play the same songs as D7 for this tournament as they'd have been playing them anyway and adjust better for future OTs.
Old 08-3-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Also, I mean no disrespect I appreciate the input of the community, however, I'd really like to hear more from the people who are actually directly affected by the change. Believe me, I can easily pull off adding a whole other division with little time if I need to.

Last edited by psychoangel691; 08-3-2019 at 09:41 PM..
Old 08-3-2019, 09:42 PM   #35
V-Ormix
Banned

it seems like silly fan girl is now the first person to truly translate an ffr equivalent accomplishment as to what d8 really is - its been very convoluted across the gambit of skill sets people possess and the nature of optimizing different game engines for ideal performance with a player that also happens to be particularly determined with his skill and configuration.

the bar is real and ffr is kill

edit: what im im getting at is d8 needs no more proof of concept to be implemented as anyone who would potentially be apart of it likely has discussed with peers about it's existence certainly outside of FFR - D8 can't be ignored any longer

Last edited by V-Ormix; 08-3-2019 at 09:46 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:42 PM   #36
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
I can make it go, either way, it really doesn't matter to me I'm not directly affected by it in the tournament. What is affecting me is that I'm spending a lot of time in these discussions that come up and it takes away from what I do need to get done so I do appreciate the cut some slack and get back to hype part haha.

If staff wants to go ahead and have a discussion about it and see if they can find a cutoff that makes sense I'm fine with that too, I just want to make sure I prioritize what I absolutely NEED to have done. Cause if we have a D8 I can just have them play the same songs as D7 for this tournament as they'd have been playing them anyway and adjust better for future OTs.
Word. Ya should just open the thread on this in the mod section, get back to the prep and just check in like day before to see if you have a D8 to run or not lol. Let the other staff worry about it if it's taking up too much time.

For my part I can make this my last post on the matter until after the tournament.

Old 08-3-2019, 09:48 PM   #37
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

My last thought on this actually I haven't said it in here because there's no way to actually do it on the dashboard. I was thinking of making D8 cumulative scoring amongst the few that are there. I honestly think that would be the BEST way to handle it if we're having a D8, especially since it's so few people.

One way I could do this is just not set elim numbers in that division and just keep track manually of the cumulative score.
Or make the whole OT cumulative, that's an option as well.

Edit: I almost want to make the OT all cumulative, I'd mentioned it earlier to AJ because we're under 300 signups this is the lowest I think we've ever had and yes I know there's still time but I don't imagine it climbing much higher. But he said then it becomes more a league than a tournament, lol.

Last edited by psychoangel691; 08-3-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Old 08-3-2019, 09:53 PM   #38
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

The possibility of being eliminated makes things pretty hyped though, but I get where you're coming from

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 08-3-2019 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Grammar matters
Old 08-3-2019, 09:54 PM   #39
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I beat rob's Odd22 and Metro can I has d8 pls ? c:
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-3-2019, 09:54 PM   #40
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

Quote:
One way I could do this is just not set elim numbers in that division and just keep track manually of the cumulative score.
Or make the whole OT cumulative, that's an option as well.

Edit: I almost want to make the OT all cumulative, I'd mentioned it earlier to AJ because we're under 300 signups this is the lowest I think we've ever had and yes I know there's still time but I don't imagine it climbing much higher. But he said then it becomes more a league than a tournament, lol.
we can always create a poll for this. just a suggestion.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote