psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default Re: 12th Official Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'm not saying this to be a fucking dick, but it's sure gonna come off that way: this is likely the last official tourney. It'd be nice to not lock content of the game behind something that will inevitably become unobtainable and reworked in the line anyways.

As for the color, honestly I've never really put any thought into it but it just feels like an irrelevant quirk of being good and noteworthy on the site which TBH at that skill, everyone likely knows who you are anyways.

Both of these in my book are nonproblems, or ones that have better solutions.

But restructuring to stay within 7 divisions sounds better anyways.
Where do you get that this is likely the last OT?
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 05:39 PM   #102
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: 12th Official Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'm not saying this to be a fucking dick, but it's sure gonna come off that way: this is likely the last official tourney.
lol why
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 05:56 PM   #103
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: D8 Deb8

My two cents is the top division should be reserved for the top 50 or so players
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 06:17 PM   #104
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm in favor of a D8 for this OT, but I feel like that's answering the wrong question. Love it or hate it, the division system needs to go. Why? Because it encourages holding yourself back, if you care about the prizes. Let's face it, anyone in D8 whose name is not SillyFangirl is facing a serious uphill battle, if not outright playing for second place, because they are effectively in "low D8". This is not a new concept, it's been a thing for as long as the divisional system has been. Anyone who enters a tournament in "low division X," especially in the higher divisions where improving skill quickly is more difficult, is basically screwed. But if these players, when nearing the top of their division just stop improving, play less, hold themselves back, and stay at the top of their division, they have a much better chance at a positive tournament outcome. FFR itself is a game about building one's skill, why do we have a system in place that actively punishes this?

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 06:37 PM   #105
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

it's natural progression of competition and past time for d8 given the skill gap of low d7 to high d7 since d7 was first made.

as to the late addition of d8 for this tourney it seems like a knee jerk reaction to the rato aaa which is a little late but it's still a reasonable decision. that monumental accomplishment only makes it more visibly obvious.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 07:39 PM   #106
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeLucien View Post
I'm in favor of a D8 for this OT, but I feel like that's answering the wrong question. Love it or hate it, the division system needs to go. Why? Because it encourages holding yourself back, if you care about the prizes. Let's face it, anyone in D8 whose name is not SillyFangirl is facing a serious uphill battle, if not outright playing for second place, because they are effectively in "low D8". This is not a new concept, it's been a thing for as long as the divisional system has been. Anyone who enters a tournament in "low division X," especially in the higher divisions where improving skill quickly is more difficult, is basically screwed. But if these players, when nearing the top of their division just stop improving, play less, hold themselves back, and stay at the top of their division, they have a much better chance at a positive tournament outcome. FFR itself is a game about building one's skill, why do we have a system in place that actively punishes this?
Homie, most of us have had the hardest files mindblocked for like 4 years now, there's a few people who have a shot at taking 1st LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 07:48 PM   #107
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtienneSM View Post
Homie, most of us have had the hardest files mindblocked for like 4 years now, there's a few people who have a shot at taking 1st LOL.
...Alright, maybe I chose a bad example. I can't say that I've ever had a mindblock on a file that meant the difference between an AAA and 12+ goods, but maybe it's different for you folks in D8. I don't know. But my point that the divisional system itself is counterproductive because it encourages limiting yourself still stands.

Old 08-4-2019, 07:48 PM   #108
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I have a lot of opinions about this, but as someone who stopped playing at high D6 and who doesn't even enter tournaments, I'm not sure how valuable my opinions on this topic are.

However, I want to say that I'm glad that there is finally a serious discussion about D8 given that it has unofficially existed for years.

Last edited by tosh; 08-4-2019 at 07:51 PM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 08:06 PM   #109
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

Quote:
...Alright, maybe I chose a bad example. I can't say that I've ever had a mindblock on a file that meant the difference between an AAA and 12+ goods, but maybe it's different for you folks in D8. I don't know. But my point that the divisional system itself is counterproductive because it encourages limiting yourself still stands.
I went from AAA'ing the intro of RATO to getting 7/8 goods and 2 misses now almost every time.

It's rough out here lmao. Idk if Luis or Shadow have ones as bad but some files are a menace when it comes to mindblocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 08:18 PM   #110
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

"Divisions are bad because sandbagging" is really just nonsense.

You know what's worse than the possibility that there are people near the top of a division who don't try to improve for -2 years- holding out hope for an Official Tournament they have a chance of winning? Nobody but the top 5-10 players on the site ever winning the tournament because we're all lumped together and a D1 player won't even bother participating if they have to compete against D7/8 people.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 08:24 PM   #111
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

arrow game is very skillset based, imo you cant call any one single player the #1 player because interestingly enough all the top players have different skillsets that theyre best at, attang chordjack/jack, jake stamina/hs, snover speed, etc

I think d8 is definitely and thing and probably needed for FFR but it requires more files at the 100+ level to accommodate D8 players

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 08-4-2019 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-4-2019, 08:45 PM   #112
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
"Divisions are bad because sandbagging" is really just nonsense.

You know what's worse than the possibility that there are people near the top of a division who don't try to improve for -2 years- holding out hope for an Official Tournament they have a chance of winning? Nobody but the top 5-10 players on the site ever winning the tournament because we're all lumped together and a D1 player won't even bother participating if they have to compete against D7/8 people.
I think this can be worked around given the right tournament structure. There's been many proposals for formats for divisionless OTs, and I know I'm not the first to suggest this.

And also, I could argue that this problem already exists, even with the divisional system. I'm currently right at the bottom of D5. My chances of winning D5 are zero. Not "virtually" zero, not "effectively" zero, but flat-out 0.00000%. There's simply no way I'll be able to close the skill gap between myself and players at the top of the division like axith, Riot, and Fluttershy in just a few weeks. If the goal of the divisional system is to create tournament ranges that anyone can win (which seems to be the primary drive to creating a D8 in the first place), I'd say it's not currently doing that. (And sorry if I'm coming across as bitter here, that's not my intention here.)

Old 08-4-2019, 09:19 PM   #113
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I think this can be worked around given the right tournament structure. There's been many proposals for formats for divisionless OTs, and I know I'm not the first to suggest this.

And also, I could argue that this problem already exists, even with the divisional system. I'm currently right at the bottom of D5. My chances of winning D5 are zero. Not "virtually" zero, not "effectively" zero, but flat-out 0.00000%. There's simply no way I'll be able to close the skill gap between myself and players at the top of the division like axith, Riot, and Fluttershy in just a few weeks.
yea man i agree im in d5 too and i just have no idea how ill win i think im gonna start practicing ffr like 2 days before the OT starts but maybe not
Old 08-4-2019, 09:31 PM   #114
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
There's simply no way I'll be able to close the skill gap between myself and players at the top of the division like axith, Riot, and Fluttershy
Yes there is. We see it nearly every tournament.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 10:07 PM   #115
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

Quote:
There's simply no way I'll be able to close the skill gap between myself and players at the top of the division like axith, Riot, and Fluttershy in just a few weeks.
like what poison said, i've seen people go up from D5 to top of D6 over the course of an OT. i don't think there's been one yet where a case like that hasn't happened.

edit: yes, i'll admit it's frustrating when people in my own division get sudden skill increases during OT, but at the same time it means that they put a LOT more effort in that i haven't seen.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal

Last edited by PhantomPuppy; 08-4-2019 at 10:09 PM..
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 10:15 PM   #116
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Who has won from the bottom of a division in the past? I can't remember anyone winning from the bottom of a division above D3.

And I actually wish there were records of the skill ratings of OT winners/high placers before and after the OT so we'd have hard numbers on this. Especially since then we'd be able to have "most improved" awards and such.

edit: So there actually were such stats last tournament, courtesy of Trumpet. Now if only I knew who won last time...

Last edited by RenegadeLucien; 08-4-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Old 08-4-2019, 10:31 PM   #117
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Oh, this is a thread.

I have not played in FFR in forever and have not read all of this thread...

...The demand for when D7 was made was done due to not just one person, but multiple players achieving scores and goals that, realistically, other D6 contenders could not hope to obtain.

I think right now, we still have a short supply of actual D7 players, thus I believe D8 should NOT be a thing at all. Least not until D7 faces the problem that D6 players faced. It has not come to that point yet.

However, I think, if there is absolutely a demand for a title, I'd approve. Just nothing to do with OT since, well... I really don't see a reason to make an entire division just because of ONE player...

I'm assuming it's because of that one player anyways, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

Last edited by Charu; 08-4-2019 at 10:32 PM..
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2019, 10:36 PM   #118
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*

Quote:
Who has won from the bottom of a division in the past? I can't remember anyone winning from the bottom of a division above D3.
Off the top of my head, OneHandNow (mi40) and YoshL are two players who catapulted waaaaay beyond their division over the course of an OT. Also lol a "most improved" award makes FFR feel like a Kindergarten class, personally ._.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy View Post
yes, i'll admit it's frustrating when people in my own division get sudden skill increases during OT, but at the same time it means that they put a LOT more effort in that i haven't seen.
lol sorry hahaha
Old 08-4-2019, 10:36 PM   #119
s1rnight
( ŻuŻ)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

my opinion is they shld make d8 whoever currently has a higher rank than user "samurai7694", cuz i rmemeber that guy being the best guy at this game on the site when i was here, and apparently some new super freaks from outer space have arrived, so that seems correct and symbolic to me

hello btw i havent been here in a while
Old 08-4-2019, 11:01 PM   #120
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Though, now thinking about it.

If the skill gap for D7 players is that much of an issue currently (as is said by some D7 players already), then why not just put the offending players that are just so beyond other D7 players placed in a "special" division (not d8), the catch is though they have to AAA every file D7 uses, otherwise they're out.

If players get all AAA's on every file in D7, make them play a tiebreaker on an alt engine that's harder than RATO. If they somehow AAA that as a tie, keep going until you literally have to use unfair DUMPS if you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote