Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Rubin0
FFR Player

Default Fable III

I would have bought it already but I'm holding out for my birthday. Any reviews?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Fable III

I've never played fable II so I don't know how it compares. Visually it looks like the same graphics engine as the first one. Not that the graphics are an issue since they are pretty good.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

I got it and I'm really enjoying it thus far. I'll post more about it later but if you are thinking about getting it then I suggest doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

I liked Fable I, but I really despised Fable II. I'm going to hold out until IGN reviews it.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Rubin0
FFR Player

Really? I loved Fable II. I especially thought the dog aspect really made the game. It brought a level of humanity that I haven't seen in other games.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

The dog didn't matter to me; it was a nuisance, sometimes. It felt like a gimmick.

I just read IGN's review (didn't know they had it up) and it got a good score. But with a few upcoming titles I'm more excited for, I think I'll let this one sit on the backburner for a while. Fable I and II's campaigns were very short-lived and the post-game didn't really exist.

I don't want to drop the money for a title that will have a 20 hour campaign.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

I liked Fable I and II. The dog aspect in 2 was okay, it was cute and liked how it changed with my appearance. But you sort of get attached to it, like any companion. I want to play III but...I don't know. I'm waiting for AC: brotherhood before this.

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Bill Kaulitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Well, the problem with most people and Fable is they think it's so short because they want to rush through the storyline like omfg quickly. Which my friend did, and now he's regretting the consequence of doing so cause he's about $1 MIL in debt in his game.

You should take your time in a game like Fable 3 to really enjoy it. It does get a bit repetitive if you're someone that plays more than 2 or 3 hours a day... Which is my limit so it's fine for me. Take advantage of the other things you can do. There are a ton of sidequests and you don't need to continue the main quest once you've gotten all the required things done. Finish all the side quests first and do stuff. Buy shops and real estate to keep cash flowing in. You'll need it. It's not as much gold as you would get doing jobs like blacksmith, lute hero or pie making but it becomes really helpful once you buy a lot of things.

I really enjoyed Fable 2 even though the storyline was just really crappy. However, Fable 3 so far has a more three-dimensional main character (he/she actually TALKS and has FEELINGS omfg) and I think it's really good so far. Of course the moral choice thing is still in effect. I'd ignore it if you're an achievement whore on the 360 cause there are quite a few you need to be evil for. Unless you were into that stuff in the first place.

I also really like the fact that they made the villagers and the hero look a lot more attractive. And leveling up a female hero doesn't make her look like a hideous butch, bulky monster.. which is a plus for me.

Probably the only negatives so far is that if you choose to buy houses, you have to constantly repair them so they don't fall into disrepair and the tenant in your house stops paying you rent. Also, you can only equip one type of magic at a time or combine 2 kinds of magic to create something different. There's also no real health bar so it's pretty hard to tell when you're right about to die or just lost a lot of health because the screen's edges change to a red color. I find that really annoying cause I'm wasting potions too often.

One cool thing I really liked was the ability to marry people on XBL. Better than the villagers imo. Marrying a villager is a waste of time imo, they can only give you presents and you constantly have to keep paying them money every day in the game for upkeep or whatever. Marrying another hero on XBL is different though. No upkeep to be paid and you both share the money that a player makes while playing together online. Not entirely sure what other benefits there are to that, I'll have to do some reading up on that.

Overall it's definitely an improvement from the second game. I'm really enjoying the storyline but also taking my time in the game. So far I've put about 14 hours into the game and I haven't reached the "middle" of it which is when you become the king/queen of Albion.

Imo, it was worth my money.
Old 11-2-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Rubin0
FFR Player

My BIGGEST problem with Fable II was that my female character looked like a woman on steroids. WHY???

Anyway, I ended up getting Fable III for my birthday, and I almost didn't go to class today. I am a side quest addict so I will probably have a lot of game play...I also don't mind replaying games to see what I might have missed the first time....wow loser.
Rubin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

My butch female was the best thing ever.

I hate feminine heroes.
Old 11-4-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Rubin0
FFR Player

I finished the game last night and for some reason I didn't like it at all. I'm going to try to replay it because I think I missed a lot of important factors that might have taken away from my gameplay. It seemed to be lacking something that Fable II had but I haven't really put my finger on what it is yet.

Also, for other Fable players, at the end of the game there were still two cities that I could not travel to. Anyone know why?
Old 11-4-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

To access those cities you need to 1 find them, and 2 unlock something to do stuff with them. Just play the game again and you should find something if you go looking.

Also, I'm still on my first game, but I can't wait for my second game. If this is anything like the last one, then I'll probably play through 4 or 5 times.

Quote:
Old 11-4-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
thechild
FFR Player

For anyone else who has beaten the game, I have a question. Due to being in so much debt in the end keeping my all promises, I now I have no civilians in my Albion. They're all dead. Only guards and quest givers are still alive. Anyway to bring'em back?
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-4-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

I do not know about bringing people back, I don't think there is a way.

The ending was pretty cool. I don't want to give any spoilers or anything away so I'll just say this. It made "See the Future" really make sense from Fable II.

Now for a short break before I start over with another character.

Quote:
Old 11-4-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
flashpantss
Party Hard
FFR Veteran

Personally, I think fable III is awesome. I loved Fable I and couldn't complain with Fable II. The only downside is the story can be short, if you only do the main quests, plus i hate the aiming system (pistol,rifle) in Fable III.
3RD in Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 in D5A
Best AAA's= Frictional Nevada (FIRST FGO) Kyrie (ONI Get), Eradication, Of Course you Need and nEed and neEd and NEED ME, Cinnamon Roll (FIRST TO AAA)
flashpantss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Rubin0
FFR Player

I got aggravated for a number of reasons...this time my dog was pointless. I liked how when he got hurt in the last game I had to give him medicine or the town's folk called me a monster for not caring...it also slowed him down if I got tired of him following me. I didn't like that I couldn't have affairs with other people while I was married and I especially didn't like how people that were in love with me (prior to me getting married) didn't get jealous when they saw me making out with someone else. I didn't have a clue about the weapon upgrades but that was partially my fault since I'm a little slow.

Sometimes I felt like the game was written by a bunch of 18 year old pots heads...some of the humor, while funny, was too often and overkill. Also, is there no way to have protected sex when you make your female character have lesbian sex? Is there no chance for STDs? I guess I didn't experiment enough to find out.

I hated that I couldn't move my family into the castle....seriously wtf. I'm ruler of the freaking game and my family can't live in the castle. Okayyyy.

My BIGGEST problem is that I felt like I was playing two seperate games....and not in a good way like when you are playing Oblivion and playing the Dark Brotherhood side quest (because that's fkng awesome)...I felt like anything social I did or anything with my family was so completely out of the way of the actual game whereas I didn't feel like that with Fable II. Nothing in the game flowed for me. I feel like they had too many people working on too many different things. While someone mention that they thought the Dog in Fable II was gimicky...I thought this entire game was gimicky...with very little heart. Sure, Fable II had it's problems, but I saw dollar signs floating around this game and very little emotion.

****I will be adding more as I think of them.

Last edited by Rubin0; 11-5-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Rubin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-6-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Bill Kaulitz
FFR Player

Is this game worth playing?

♪ ♥ ♥ ♪

Bill Kaulitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-7-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kaulitz View Post
Is this game worth playing?
Yes

Quote:
Old 11-7-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
Rubin0
FFR Player

Yes, Bill. I'm just ranting and raving because I was expecting a lot of things that weren't given to me...like a challenging game. Otherwise, it's fairly entertaining.
Old 11-8-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

I have to agree with you Rubin. I just got to the middle of the game so I've put about 24+ hours into the game now. Haven't finished yet but I plan to by the end of this week or sometime in the next few days. It got really addicting for some reason. I really, really like the story more than the second game now. It's great, but still seems rushed. Now that I am queen of Albion it seems like there aren't that many quests left to do.

There are a lot of things that I just really dislike about this game though, gameplay wise. I hate that when you interact with villagers, you can't CHOOSE what expression you want to do. It randomly choose one for you based on the category. It's just... ugh. Another thing is the Relationship quests, they are extremely annoying and repetitive. Oh, and that brings me to another annoyance. The Side Quests where you have to do something evil, for example, assassinating someone... I REALLY hate that they placed the bots for those missions out in random places in front of A LOT of people and you can't interact with the person you have to kill. At all. I got so annoyed with it the last time, I spent probably 5 minutes trying to push the bot as far away from Brightwall as possible so I could kill him in the forest.

I also hate that there is no black dye. There's white and gray, but no black.

The map is another annoyance. I wish I could somehow access the map without having to go into The Sanctuary every time. It gets really annoying because I look at the map pretty much half the time I'm playing. Other than that, The Sanctuary is pretty cool. It's definitely a lot better than the menu in Fable 2.

I have a slight issue with the sleeping though. Like you can't have your hero rest for more than a day. THAT gets really annoying when I'm trying to buy furniture and waiting for the shops to refill. I also don't like the shops in general. I don't know what moron thought it'd be a great idea to physically put items in the shop to choose from rather than an easy to access menu with potentially 3 or 4x more items than what can fit in a single shop. Really, really hate that.

There's really not much variation in clothing or weapons actually, which is disappointing. Probably, at most, only 12-16 outfits and only 4 types of weapons: rifles, pistols, swords, and hammers. The only cool thing that makes up for the lack of weaponry is the ability to upgrade your weapons to make them better and look cooler. Especially the Hero weapons.

Oh and the hairstyles are just as bad as the ones in Fable 2, but there's not as many as there were in Fable 2. I at least wanted to be able to have dreadlocks on mine again, that was a really cool hairstyle. And the dyes... are just so disappointing. Utterly disappointing.

The game is good and very addicting but I just wish they hadn't changed it so much. Dyes were fine. Interaction with villagers was fine. Stores were fine. Houses were fine. I think they just changed those things for the hell of it, which was a really stupid thing to do.