Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: interesting punch force comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
no, bench press still has a huge correlation
Huge compared to what ? Playing ffr ? Please elaborate.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #22
hkdk
FFR Player

I'd rather get punched by the guy at 1:34 instead of 1:05 in OP's video haha. Seems like any change in height during the punch greatly reduces the force read by the machine
hkdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #23
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
arch0wl
You can curl a dumbbell all day and get strong arms, but there's no exercise to strengthen the defensive aspect. The skull bone will still be less than a centimeter thick. Would you walk across a 1cm thick bridge?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #24
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Huge compared to what ? Playing ffr ? Please elaborate.
The average correlation between bench and punch force in that study is around .731, meaning that 53% of the variance in punch force can be accounted for by 1 RM Bench Press.

That is a very significant correlation in and of itself, you don't need to compare it to anything else to recognize that it is significant.

Though given that all of the correlations in that study are very large and in the same range, a simple interpretation is to assume a factor analysis would reveal a single underlying variable that accounts for the majority of the variance in all of those measurements. You could call that the general strength factor, which is just a statistical way of saying that if you take any reliable measurement of someones strength, it will be highly predictive of their punch force (and if those correlations are in any way accurate and reliable, strength would be the single largest predictive variable of punch force).

Last edited by Reach; 08-29-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #25
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

I feel like questioning correlation between upper-body strength and the force it can produce is kind if unnecessary

This is fun to read though
Old 10-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
I feel like questioning correlation between upper-body strength and the force it can produce is kind if unnecessary
yes and no

it's not necessary for people who have trained bench to any major degree. it becomes obvious past a certain point.

it's necessary for the general public who thinks bruce lee can defeat the mountain with his fingers or something
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #27
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
The average correlation between bench and punch force in that study is around .731, meaning that 53% of the variance in punch force can be accounted for by 1 RM Bench Press.

That is a very significant correlation in and of itself, you don't need to compare it to anything else to recognize that it is significant.

Though given that all of the correlations in that study are very large and in the same range, a simple interpretation is to assume a factor analysis would reveal a single underlying variable that accounts for the majority of the variance in all of those measurements. You could call that the general strength factor, which is just a statistical way of saying that if you take any reliable measurement of someones strength, it will be highly predictive of their punch force (and if those correlations are in any way accurate and reliable, strength would be the single largest predictive variable of punch force).
Solely based on experience (15years of martial arts) I have only rarely seen someone big throw a stronger punch than someone relatively smaller (talking about body and muscle size here) with better technique. That being said, the studies linked in this thread are only about raw strength and doesn't show how much punch training the people have.

Now your point; you say there'd be a common factor to strength... Like what, their muscle fibers size ? You'd probably be right. But thing is, if A, B and C have a common factor F, and D needs all three to happen, then there's nothing special about neither A, B or C. (Say A is bench press 1RM, B is squats and C is abs strength, F is your factor (w/e it is) and D is output punch force for example).

You can say all you want about how bench press has strong correlation, cause it's true, but that's pretty intuitive and the fact that many other things/exercise have a correlation as strong or stronger than it makes it totally uninteresting.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
SpaceGorilla
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i think it's simple enough to say that greater mass = greater force and higher strength is essentially your ability to move that mass at higher speeds
so it makes sense that someone who works out (bench increasing chest,shoulder mass + higher strength) would have a higher punch force

br2pac

play this ^
SpaceGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Solely based on experience (15years of martial arts) I have only rarely seen someone big throw a stronger punch than someone relatively smaller (talking about body and muscle size here) with better technique. That being said, the studies linked in this thread are only about raw strength and doesn't show how much punch training the people have.

Now your point; you say there'd be a common factor to strength... Like what, their muscle fibers size ? You'd probably be right. But thing is, if A, B and C have a common factor F, and D needs all three to happen, then there's nothing special about neither A, B or C. (Say A is bench press 1RM, B is squats and C is abs strength, F is your factor (w/e it is) and D is output punch force for example).

You can say all you want about how bench press has strong correlation, cause it's true, but that's pretty intuitive and the fact that many other things/exercise have a correlation as strong or stronger than it makes it totally uninteresting.
Well, as a fellow martial artist, I would like to clarify the point I think you're trying to make; the difference between pure strength of the punch in terms of newtons of force vs how much the punch hurt. These studies only measure pure force, but technique can make two punches of the exact same force feel radically different, which is probably why the line gets quite blurry.

As for the common strength factor, it was just a guess I haven't done the factor analysis myself, but I would suspect that yes it's muscle fibre size. Given that measuring strength is an indirect measure of muscle fibre size and any given exercise will measure this to some extent, it would explain the data.

And I would argue it's actually a very interesting finding, even though it's obvious.

I would argue though that it's very interesting because of the size of the correlations. They're so significant that if the general factor between them is muscle fiber size (which I suspect it is), it would mean that if you wanted to improve athletic performance in any sport where force of impact is relevant, the single most important variable of the athlete you could improve would be muscle fiber size. Which is extraordinarily relevant in modern sports given the overwhelming amount of steroid abuse (or even...necessity?) happening among elite athletes. This is question at the core of many new sports e.g. crossfit, or MMA etc.

Last edited by Reach; 10-22-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #30
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Well, as a fellow martial artist, I would like to clarify the point I think you're trying to make; the difference between pure strength of the punch in terms of newtons of force vs how much the punch hurt. These studies only measure pure force, but technique can make two punches of the exact same force feel radically different, which is probably why the line gets quite blurry.

As for the common strength factor, it was just a guess I haven't done the factor analysis myself, but I would suspect that yes it's muscle fibre size. Given that measuring strength is an indirect measure of muscle fibre size and any given exercise will measure this to some extent, it would explain the data.

And I would argue it's actually a very interesting finding, even though it's obvious.

I would argue though that it's very interesting because of the size of the correlations. They're so significant that if the general factor between them is muscle fiber size (which I suspect it is), it would mean that if you wanted to improve athletic performance in any sport where force of impact is relevant, the single most important variable of the athlete you could improve would be muscle fiber size. Which is extraordinarily relevant in modern sports given the overwhelming amount of steroid abuse (or even...necessity?) happening among elite athletes. This is question at the core of many new sports e.g. crossfit, or MMA etc.
I can agree with this. Thx for taking the time to elaborate
Old 10-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #31
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGorilla View Post
i think it's simple enough to say that greater mass = greater force and higher strength is essentially your ability to move that mass at higher speeds
so it makes sense that someone who works out (bench increasing chest,shoulder mass + higher strength) would have a higher punch force
I don't really know much about this subject, but I would think that this would be false. Bruce Lee had an incredible punch force and he was not very big at all.

Pretty sure he wasn't really benching regularly either.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 10-23-2017 at 12:17 AM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #32
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

exactly. Bruce Lee was ninjaku. like in FFR, timing, accuracy, and speed results in more points, more force. lee was renowned for doing 1 finger pushups. where the bench press is a great chest exercise, a pushup has more freedom of movement and can stimulate other key areas in the arm. very important when considering punches. punches are also limited to the amount of force the hand, wrist, forearms, elbow, and shoulder can withstand as well which is why I recommend using hand grips to strengthen hand, wrist, and forearms; and resistance bands to work elbows, triceps, biceps, and all that. ya never know when you might have to fight a grizzly bear or a tiger or something so ya gotta be ready.
these things are $8 a pair at wal-mart, $3 at the five below discount store and will increase your finger, hand, wrist, and forearm strength by 700%

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 10-23-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #33
Wandaicest
Banned

Default interesting punch force comparison

You do not have to respond to them, you dont have to read them. You make that choice and must expect backlash just as the person who would put up something opposing Christianity must expect opposition.
Wandaicest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #34
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandaicest View Post
You do not have to respond to them, you dont have to read them.
Good advice
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #35
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

i saw this thread on the sidebar and was like "holy shit is arch back"

fucking spambots ruining my evening with disappointment

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #36
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
"holy shit is arch back"
lmk when the day comes so i can ban myself from this site staff
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #37
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
lmk when the day comes so i can ban myself from this site staff
he's permabanned for being a chud, no need to worry about him coming back lol
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #38
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
he's permabanned for being a chud, no need to worry about him coming back lol
no its bc raeko is using her overarching site powers as admin to mastermind some conspiracy against him and turning the site staff against his true intellect!

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #39
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
no its bc raeko is using her overarching site powers as admin to mastermind some conspiracy against him and turning the site staff against his true intellect!
no its cause choob is a big choobler
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #40
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
overarching site powers

over arch

is it my bed time
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote