Old 03-3-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
m3t4kn1ght
I have a calico cat
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to m3t4kn1ght
Default Hand positioning

Honestly, I've never been able to get a decent hand positioning that isn't completely frustrating. I'm not sure what's the easiest for you guys, however whenever I am playing I don't have a 100% focus as I'm constantly shifting hand placement during songs and sometimes even cancel out a song to try and reposition everything.

In my mind I'm also focussing on the hand placement while I'm playing and I truly want to get rid of it. I haven't been able to get a skillboost in a few years, also because of this.

My current position is spread AS;' usually resting the back of the palms. elbows rested, trying for straight back. Nothing really seems to help, I've tried lifting my hands above the keyboard, which greatly improves my accuracy and speed, however I keep missing keys or double hitting them. which usually ends me up with an even worse score.
Old 03-3-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Casey2069
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Hand positioning

I just lay in my bed with the keyboard on my lap qw []
Old 03-3-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Sanjixcon
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

its all preference my dude, but what i did is pull off all the keys except the ones i use to play so i can easily move my setup wherev whenev. taking all the keys off helps with not getting ur fingers trapped between keys as well.

recently i've been playing around at the top of the kb stuff like QWOP, ERIO, 1290 ect. It feels more comfy then AS;' imo bc ur wrists are quite as angled. I tend to slip forward not backward on my keys so playing at the top helps control that somewhat.

Also what helps me when my fingers are just feeling hella weird is to smoke lol then i forget all about my hands and just hit the keys to the music.

A staggered setup might feel more comfy to u... like AZ/' instead of AS;' personally I could never get used to it but some ppl like it.

gl meng, if u play everyday after awhile it should come naturally to u. i think.

Last edited by Sanjixcon; 03-3-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Sanjixcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

In my prime, I used to do QWOP as a spread setup.

Nowadays, I've been doing CV23 (Numpad) whenever I get the urge to play FFR these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I used to play index but recently started AS56.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
alphanish
Confidence is key
FFR Veteran

i used to use weio but my middle fingers would ache after a while in that position. i just sorta put my fingers in the comfiest position above my kb keys and used whatever keys were underneath no matter how weird they seemed so now i use dvnk. also i moved the kb around a bit. i usually like it slanted to the left.

alphanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

rgko concave crew
Old 03-3-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

I used to use sdkl but along with using wasd on other games my s, d, and sometimes a key are pretty f'ed. Use zx./ now.

I used to "I can't get a comfortable spot for my right hand at all", all the time, but since I started using my laptop I've had to deal with awkward positions a lot more. I still sometimes get the feeling but I find it helps if you really try not to think about your hands while you're playing. Kind of like when you think about your tongue in your mouth and it feels really big and can't find a good position for it, or like when you start overthinking your breathing pattern and it feels like you're breathing manually. I usually just have shower thoughts while I play and let muscle memory take over and if I start actively thinking about my hands, they feel weird.
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4kn1ght View Post
I've tried lifting my hands above the keyboard, which greatly improves my accuracy and speed, however I keep missing keys or double hitting them. which usually ends me up with an even worse score.
When you lift your hands you have to use muscles you weren't using before so it's normal to have some issues at first. You should be fine if you keep your forearms and hands parallel to the ground at a height in which your fingers reach the keys from their neutral slightly curved position.

Another thing you should try to work with is chair height regardless of your chosen posture.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

My skill has always improved slowly, but I've either done ghkl or fgjk, depending on the keyboard (if it resgisters a quad)

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Kawaii025
Fake D4
FFR Veteran

I'm weird cause I use WROP... Never been able to play without a key between my left index & middle.
Highest Blackflag: Survive (60)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (68)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (63)
Otaku Speedvibe [Heavy] unlocked 03/04/15 - On The Origin of Species (Evolution) (50)

Highest AAA:Case Closed (58)
Highest Blackflag: Survive (58)
Highest Booflag: Fill Me Up With Snacky Happiness & Suit Up (55)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (72)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (67)
Kawaii025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
Sanjixcon
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
MrPoptart
"Kind of like when you think about your tongue in your mouth and it feels really big and can't find a good position for it"
I know exactly what u mean. If the tip of my tongue isn't pressing against my right front tooth while i'm playing I lose my concentration.

Last edited by Sanjixcon; 03-3-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Sanjixcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2018, 02:09 AM   #13
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

My left elbow rests on the desk beside the keyboard, my right upper arm is wedged in between my body and the edge of the desk
Even when on a couch and typing right now my left arm is angled beside the laptop and my right arm is resting on my tummy
Don't know which situation caused this positioning
So, if I can get comfortable with this kanji of arms, anything is viable
Don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2018, 03:51 AM   #14
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
My left elbow rests on the desk beside the keyboard, my right upper arm is wedged in between my body and the edge of the desk
Even when on a couch and typing right now my left arm is angled beside the laptop and my right arm is resting on my tummy
Don't know which situation caused this positioning
So, if I can get comfortable with this kanji of arms, anything is viable
Don't worry about it
dont forget the fact that you use middle and ring finger lol

also regarding hand pos, my saying is always: wrists up, ass up boi
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2018, 04:14 AM   #15
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

I lay on a bed looking like an L with my laptop on my bed using ASKL lol. if im out, I use a table

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
SICKOVENOMOUS
FFR Player

I use the same combo key set, if ya been playin 4 years, then try using a different key set, you'll find ur good hand positioning later on ig

-_- star star star star.
dl: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8jkcsk0t2...20%27.zip?dl=0
SICKOVENOMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
m3t4kn1ght
I have a calico cat
FFR Veteran

Thanks for the tips guys! I actually think I can make some minor adjustments now and see how this works for a while. Never really thought of proper hand placement and posture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjixcon View Post
its all preference my dude, but what i did is pull off all the keys except the ones i use to play so i can easily move my setup wherev whenev. taking all the keys off helps with not getting ur fingers trapped between keys as well.

recently i've been playing around at the top of the kb stuff like QWOP, ERIO, 1290 ect. It feels more comfy then AS;' imo bc ur wrists are quite as angled. I tend to slip forward not backward on my keys so playing at the top helps control that somewhat.

Also what helps me when my fingers are just feeling hella weird is to smoke lol then i forget all about my hands and just hit the keys to the music.

A staggered setup might feel more comfy to u... like AZ/' instead of AS;' personally I could never get used to it but some ppl like it.

gl meng, if u play everyday after awhile it should come naturally to u. i think.
haha bloody oath man, I have had moments that smoking made me kinda zone out and let muscle memory do its work, however I end up having trouble reading faster patterns sometimes. or staring at a screen of upscrolling arrows without blinking just feels weird and trippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoptart View Post
I used to use sdkl but along with using wasd on other games my s, d, and sometimes a key are pretty f'ed. Use zx./ now.

I used to "I can't get a comfortable spot for my right hand at all", all the time, but since I started using my laptop I've had to deal with awkward positions a lot more. I still sometimes get the feeling but I find it helps if you really try not to think about your hands while you're playing. Kind of like when you think about your tongue in your mouth and it feels really big and can't find a good position for it, or like when you start overthinking your breathing pattern and it feels like you're breathing manually. I usually just have shower thoughts while I play and let muscle memory take over and if I start actively thinking about my hands, they feel weird.
aye mate it's literally like this. I think I've always kinda had that annoying overthinking of things. I even get the moments where midway into a song my pinky starts feeling weird curved and I try to adjust it to a comfortable position whilst trying to focus on the song. often resulting in boos.

Last edited by m3t4kn1ght; 03-5-2018 at 02:50 PM..
m3t4kn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4kn1ght View Post
I even get the moments where midway into a song my pinky starts feeling weird curved
Yes, exactly. Freaken pinky man. I'll curl my left so that it's curled but sticking up slightly above my other fingers while I'm playing, and then I'll realize that I'm holding it in this awkward position really hard and try to relax it a little. Then it just feels out of place and I can't focus on anything else for the rest of the song.
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
m3t4kn1ght
I have a calico cat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoptart View Post
Yes, exactly. Freaken pinky man. I'll curl my left so that it's curled but sticking up slightly above my other fingers while I'm playing, and then I'll realize that I'm holding it in this awkward position really hard and try to relax it a little. Then it just feels out of place and I can't focus on anything else for the rest of the song.
Hahaha I literally have to stop playing whenever this occurs. I just can't ignore it. Especially when your pinky touches a key ever so slightly, and you're reminded of the fact it's just dangling there akwardly. completely thrown of for the rest of the song.
Old 03-9-2018, 07:14 PM   #20
mono15591
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I was going with df l; until today because my l; hand always feels uncomfortable so im trying df 89(num pad) feels funny but a little more comfortable.
mono15591 is offline   Reply With Quote