Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #41
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Nice try, Peta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
some of them smell too so................................
but so do some people
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #42
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

racist
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

yeah canadians
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #44
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

oh
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #45
Banned
FFR Veteran

also the fact that pikachu is holding a team plasma sign
i lost it
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie
If PETA just took it down a few (well, maybe a lot of) notches and focused on this issue in a different way I'd totally be on board with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
Like, say, how the official games do it? Just wondering.
No, I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of the PETA game. Pokemon encourages the idea that animals are a commodity that exist solely to benefit humans. And while none of the Pokemon trainers treat their Pokemon cruelly, they are still traded/sold and forced to live outside of their natural habitat. PETA figures that Pokemon normalizes this treatment of animals to kids, and they find this treatment to be inherently wrong.

Again, I think they went about this campaign in a totally ridiculous way and targeting Pokemon specifically is a bit crazy (what about the pet industry in general?). I still understand what they are trying to say, though, and I think it is an important conversation to have with kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

PETA must be all excited over the raid at marineland the other day lmao
Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

incoming dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
PETA is probably the organization i hate the most in this world
really? out of all the completely ****ed up organizations in this world, you chose PETA?
here are some more reasonable options:

that's the taliban flag, fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballa48 View Post
Making pokemon (fake animals) fight is wrong, but it is okay for the pokemon to attack the trainers?
well if you slap the shit out of a dog and it bites you, that's your fault, whether your dog is supposedly disciplined or not. also making REAL animals, such as pitbulls or roosters, fight each other is actually illegal because it IS wrong. do you think if pokemon existed and people started making them fight each other, do you think our current government would put an end to it? (hint: michael vick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
PETA probably does more to hinder any legitimate movements towards better treatment of animals than any other organization on the planet.

They are not respectable.

They would be a funny joke if they didn't actually believe their own tripe.
...how? why? and what tripe? explain yourself, lest yr postings be deemed nothing more than just smearing propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
Kids do need to be taught that animals aren't objects and to treat them kindly but what the hell does that have to do with Pokemon?

I mean I guess Pokemon does sort of normalize the idea that animals are a commodity but it is so obviously fictional that even small children could never believe that this was an OK thing to do to a real animal. If PETA just took it down a few (well, maybe a lot of) notches and focused on this issue in a different way I'd totally be on board with it
I'll get one idea out there, perhaps using pokemon to battle eachother can be likened to pitbull fighting or cock fighting, and the later mini-game aspects of breeding in Pokemon can obviously be likened to animal breeding in real life.

Let's not forget that breeding practices took place among slave owners and black slaves a few hundred years ago. There was a really bloody war over it and then a civil rights campaign to make African Americans equal citizens, and yet there are still vile racial injustices every day in our country. Imagine the severity in countries which still allow slavery.

For some reason you all think that PETA is attacking Pokemon. This is not the case. PETA is using it as a platform to address real life animal injustices while entertaining kids and saying "Pokemon" instead of "pets/animals."

You all obviously refuse to even fathom these ideas from the PETA perspective or any other than your own. It makes me sick. I don't subscribe to anything related to PETA, but it seems quite irrational when there's so much hate revolving a informational flash game. Property damage is one thing but there is no foul in this animation.

Let's not argue that humans are any different than animals, because that's wrong. Let's also not argue over whether or not animals attack or eat each other in the wild, because they are usually isolated from human activity in those cases. What you argue about is foolish and ignorant to the points that PETA actual present to us which deserve critical discussion.

-the ideas that animals have been coerced (in the case of pets) or outright forced (in the case of livestock) and bred into our society, whose economy treats them as a product rather than a conscious being
-the ideas that animals, just like a human (also an animal) wouldn't, don't like being experimented on or killed
-the idea that the typical pet owner is abusive towards their pets
among a few others (these were the ones that I agree with)

I'm intrigued that they chose not address the idea that the meat industry accounts for a significant percent of carbon emissions.

tl;dr quit being childish, PETA isn't attacking pokemon, they're using the popular trademark as a platform for their agenda as a means of youth outreach. some of you choose to hate things for unspecified (i'm assuming unfounded) reasons and should stop that.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #49
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

It's not that we're making fun of the platform that PETA's using, it's just that it feels like their point gets somewhat diluted by the fact that they make no effort to associate the message with animals. Thus, the message falls on deaf ears and hecklers.

I understand what they're trying to convey, but if they want to get the point across to a wider audience, maybe a little less subtlety will help.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #50
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

Aldentron, are you ****ing serious?

Just do a google search for "PETA kills animals" -- enjoy. Or even just skim the wikipedia article on PETA. Have you even bothered to read anything about PETA other than PETA's own website? You don't subscribe to anything related to PETA? -- I call BS!

I'm all for animal rights -- that said, pick a sane animal rights organization -- almost any of them besides PETA will do.

The only one being childish is PETA, with their outrageous tactics. People look at PETA, see their outrageous tactics, immediately paint all animal rights organizations with the same brush, and precisely zero progress is made.

Let me put it simply -- the problem with PETA isn't some Pokemon parody game. The problem is they frequently go to extremes to make a point, but then do hypocritical things like, oh, see that google search above.

Literally if PETA did not exist, more progress would be made towards animal rights.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #51
retching oesophagus
(^._.^) =^-ω-^= (^・o・^)ノ
FFR Veteran

Thank you guys, this game is had me rofling from start to finish, and the free video got me a few chuckles as well.

Pokemon were not made for our entertainment, when will we realise?!.
retching oesophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #52
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
cock
Hehehheheheehhheeehhehehehehheheeh

supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #53
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Arntonach > Aldentron

It's not PETA's cause that's worthy of scorn and ridicule: I had the opportunity to talk with one leaflet-wielding activist and he admitted that the work of people like Temple Grandin was quite admirable. Even his handout urging people to go vegan for one day a week in order to reduce consumer demand for processed meats made a fair amount of sense.

However, where PETA becomes a laughing stock is the lengths to which they go to sell their side of the story. Calling fish "sea kittens" was another instant classic, as well as the quite risqué "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" ad campaign. Too often one encounters the parody first, which causes them to laugh, before they decide to dig down to the message they're trying to send.

And yes, I do realize that the phrase "humane slaughter" is an oxymoron.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #54
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

They probably play pokemon under their covers at night so no one will find out.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #55
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Too bad gameboys aren't backlit.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #56
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

neither are Peta's arguments lololol
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #57
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
neither are Peta's arguments lololol
what.
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #58
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
Aldentron, are you ****ing serious?

Just do a google search for "PETA kills animals" -- enjoy. Or even just skim the wikipedia article on PETA. Have you even bothered to read anything about PETA other than PETA's own website? You don't subscribe to anything related to PETA? -- I call BS!
When I google "Peta kills animals" it takes me to petakillsanimals.com
From there, I go to the About page. This is what it says:
Quote:
PETA Kills Animals is a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the full range of choices that American consumers currently enjoy. In addition to malicious animal-rights activists, we stand up to the "food police," environmental scaremongers, neo-prohibitionists, meddling bureaucrats, and other self-anointed saints who claim to know what's best for you.

Our blog provides valuable information about these activists, and analysis of their activities. If you would like to sign up for this e-mail service, click here. CCF's other websites include AnimalScam.com, CSPIscam.com, PhysicianScam.com, and the award-winning ActivistCash.com*.
If you go to the CCF website and read about them, their mission becomes more obvious. It is a website operated by two men who get paid "by restaurants, food companies and thousands of individual consumers. From farm to fork, from urban to rural, our friends and supporters include businesses, their employees, and their customers." Deduct your own conclusions, but I know what fancy bullshit looks like when I see it.

And no, I don't subscribe to PETA. I see eye-to-eye on a multitude of things they preach, but I do not support them. I am my own voice for veganism and humane treatment of animals and need no organization. I do my own research too, and that's how I know whether or not I'm reading some ****ing PAID-FOR PROPAGANDA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...R2dR_blog.html

@ Arntonach most Pokemon are directly based off of real animals. Pikachu is a mouse, charmander is a salamander, squirtle is a turtle, etc. and the examples I gave are common house pets.

@ igr "Terrible lengths?" I think you are holding PETA to a higher standard than every other ad agency that makes terrible commercials. Geico recently aired a series of commercials with a pig literally screeching the entire duration and a very minimal amount of actual information, why is there no "Nice try, Geico?" The fact of the matter is that some people cannot discern real information vs. real sources and choose to have a bias against PETA, although they are no better or worse (depends who you ask) than the CCF which I spoke of earlier.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #59
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

From the wikipedia article:

"PETA opposes the no kill movement, and, according to a Newsweek report, euthanizes an estimated 85% of the animals that end up at their shelter."

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/27/p...uthanasia.html

Come on dude. Is it really that hard to figure out?

If you actually care about the animals, then support no-kill shelters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_kill_movement Support animal rights groups which actually care more about the animals than about making a big controversial scene. But don't support PETA.

I think you may have your heart in the right place but you really should consider carefully if you want to align yourself with PETA. Consider that they are controversial even among vegetarians and vegans. Please think about why that is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #60
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
@ Arntonach most Pokemon are directly based off of real animals. Pikachu is a mouse, charmander is a salamander, squirtle is a turtle, etc. and the examples I gave are common house pets.
I understand, but if they wanted to get the message across, they should address it instead of using fancy metaphors.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote