Old 10-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Beret
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Beret Send a message via MSN to Beret Send a message via Yahoo to Beret Send a message via Skype™ to Beret
Talking First FFR HEader

This is my first attempt at a FFR Header... is it good all together?

Just click on my name and view my FFR profile
Beret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
P0pp3t M4st3r
FFR Player

Default Re: First FFR HEader

Critique:

1) take out the little person, because that just made me say "wtf" out loud lol.
2) make it more abstract by layering in photoshop.

there's my advice because right now, it looks on the beret/10 scale
P0pp3t M4st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
SnS
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I like it, except for the FFR in the corner and that picture on the right. Get rid of those and it'll look better. Otherwise, splendid job.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Beret
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Beret Send a message via MSN to Beret Send a message via Yahoo to Beret Send a message via Skype™ to Beret

@P0p Just because you say "Wtf" doesn't mean I haves to take it out & abstract? Have you noticed this is a grunge theme? =/ And Photoshop? Do you even know what you you're talking about?

@SnS Then they'll be dull and empty, which is not good.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

learn to take criticism.
There's no need to defend yourself. People are just giving you their opinions. (Which imo you should take at heart. It's better than getting "lol that sucks", and they do have a point.)

ps. you asked for criticism in the first place. If you can't take criticism, don't ask for it.

As for my criticism.
The image doesnt feel as a whole. It feels like you've taken images, that have nothing to do with eachother, and pasted them in the document.
I'd suggest to make it a single theme, with images of that theme, and make it flow as a whole.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
boondocks77
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Ahahahah everytime Spit posts in this sub-forum, it's either to own someone, or post actual graphics.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
The image doesnt feel as a whole. It feels like you've taken images, that have nothing to do with eachother, and pasted them in the document.
I'd suggest to make it a single theme, with images of that theme, and make it flow as a whole.
agreed
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Beret
FFR Player

@Spit I'm merely remarking at their crit and my reasons for the actions they don't see fit on my design. I do want crit, what I don't want is pompous assholes trying to sound like they know something about design.

Images? I only count the plane, and that's only 1 image. Pasted? Does that plane look like it was COPY & PASTED? Obviously I've edited with desired effect, simple? No.

That person however is not an image, it is a graphical persona of my online entity. It is me, it fits seeing at the FFR profile is about ME.

@Boon GTFO of my thread and don't spam it because you've apparently never seen somebody get owned.

@Mak Don't state whats already been stated, that's just spamming... and that means GTFO.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

Yeah I agree with SnS. Those pictures seem like they don't belong there. You don't need something in every part of the header. I'm sure it will look fine without those things there.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beret View Post
@Spit I'm merely remarking at their crit and my reasons for the actions they don't see fit on my design. I do want crit, what I don't want is pompous assholes trying to sound like they know something about design.

Images? I only count the plane, and that's only 1 image. Pasted? Does that plane look like it was COPY & PASTED? Obviously I've edited with desired effect, simple? No.

That person however is not an image, it is a graphical persona of my online entity. It is me, it fits seeing at the FFR profile is about ME.

@Boon GTFO of my thread and don't spam it because you've apparently never seen somebody get owned.

@Mak Don't state whats already been stated, that's just spamming... and that means GTFO.

Wow, what's your deal?

You're header sucks, I was Quoting For Emphasis on what Spitfire said.

Make a good one, then come here.

Don't make a thread, in which you are asking for opinions, and turn around and cry because people say it sucks.

edit: lol at MooMoo

Last edited by makdaddy; 10-26-2008 at 03:47 PM..
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Quote:
Ever think they DO know what they are doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beret
You're making it sound like this image is perfect. If you thought it was perfect, why would you ask for criticism in the first place?

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that it's an image.

Quote:
Neither have you, Mr. PMS.

Quote:
Actually I agree, but don't tell him to GTFO, that's rude.

All in all, they're no reason to be such an ass dude. Listen to what they're saying, and take the criticism like you're supposed. Perhaps you should make these said changes, and in doing so, you would improve the overall quality of your banner. By no means is it perfect, and we're trying to fix it.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but mine is better

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
x After Dawn x
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

It's good, but if I were you, I'd get rid of that image on the right or make it more opaque because it...just doesn't look right where it is right now.
Drink for forget you are retard and this bring you more retard.
Just take nicotine patch lol
x After Dawn x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Beret
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdaddy View Post
Wow, what's your deal?

You're header sucks, I was Quoting For Emphasis on what Spitfire said.

Make a good one, then come here.

Don't make a thread, in which you are asking for opinions, and turn around and cry because people say it sucks.

edit: lol at MooMoo
My header sucks? Good god man, have you seen your own? It's not even aligned properly. Not to mention the fact you have a black gradient background which won't let you read any text what so ever :/

You need to learn design better. Cry? Do you see me cry? I've asked for opinions, I'm not turning them away, I'm just replying to them. You = fail.

@Moo moo

Yes I do know what I'm doing.

I never stated my header was perfect. I just want people's opinion on it.

Actually it is a pixel.

Actually I have Mr. Drama queen

He deserves it

---

I am listening, I know what they've said. Yours is better? 1) Cyan blinds the eyes. 2) your header is VERY low quality and does not blend in at all nor does it fit your bright and blue theme.

PS: This is what it looks like without images:
Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

This is what I mean by you not being able to take criticism.
You ask for criticism, and as soon as you get criticism you go: NO THAT'S A LIE, IT'S PERFECT AS IT IS!
well, newsflash, it isn't.

It is far from perfect actually. There's no overall theme. The images/fonts/text have nothing to do with eachother and clash with the overall look of the pattern. And its basically a mash-up of your background pattern put in the banner, with a bad cut out of what is supposed to be a plane, random stuff and fonts added.

Yes, even your "graphical persona of your online entity" clashes with the pattern. It's a pixel drawing(which is an image btw) of you while the pattern is kind of baroque-ish. Pixel drawings are all blocky/pixelated, while baroque style images are fluent, and with lots of tiny tiny details. They don't fit together.

As for the other people's criticism. You can either ignore it, or use it. I suggest using it cause it's the people's opinion. If the people do not like your concept/design, it IS possible that there is something with it. But there was never a reason for you to go off at them like that.
Be humble and try to understand people's opinions (cause they might actually have a valid point), and take criticism like a man/woman.

Also, other people are allowed to agree with anything that has been said. (ex. makdaddy) Agreeing with someone is basically like a vote. If alot of people agree with the criticism, it means something is definetely wrong and should be adressed first. Let people have their opinions in a thread where you ask for opinions. Else you'll just be a big hypocrite.

You made me do this btw. I WAS trying to be nice. But now you've unleashed the design criticism-nazi in me.

PS. I know what I'm talking about. I've studied for this.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 10-26-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
MechDreams
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hmm, after seeing both your current header, and your header without the images, I think the header without the images on the left and right would work better, since there is more focus on your name, and the contrast between the grey and bright orangey color looks more interesting.

What you could do for the new banner, is maybe make your name, and the little image by it larger, very slightly. Maybe, if you added that smokey effect that is behind your name throughout the banner, it'd give a more interesting texture, since you stated that without the images, the banner may look dull and empty.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

The guys is annoying and the FFR in the top doesn't look like it fits.
Take the gold from your name and incorporate it in some other way so it compliments the name. For instance, you could add a thin, gold border around the image. That would do the trick.

BTW, everyone you said doesn't know what they are doing makes graphics. Good graphics for the most part too. You are a newb at graphics. That is why they were trying to help.

EDIT: Combine what I said with what Mech said for the ultimate fix-up.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonkey54 View Post
BTW, everyone you said doesn't know what they are doing makes graphics. Good graphics for the most part too.
Just an addition to this.
Even if someone can't make good graphics, he can still have great knowledge of what is wrong and what is right, in terms of art or design.
Even people that know jack about art are entitled to their opinion. And if someone knows jack about art/design, and they tell you it looks wrong, it generally looks wrong.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
Beret
FFR Player

Quote:
The guys is annoying and the FFR in the top doesn't look like it fits.
Take the gold from your name and incorporate it in some other way so it compliments the name. For instance, you could add a thin, gold border around the image. That would do the trick.

BTW, everyone you said doesn't know what they are doing makes graphics. Good graphics for the most part too. You are a newb at graphics. That is why they were trying to help.

EDIT: Combine what I said with what Mech said for the ultimate fix-up.
Gold border? Then it would break the background because the banner BG and regular BG are the same.

Newb? Tell me, how do you know how long I've been doing graphics for? Do you stalk me?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Quote:
Gold border? Then it would break the background because the banner BG and regular BG are the same.

Newb? Tell me, how do you know how long I've been doing graphics for? Do you stalk me?
Then do this. Make the border on the top and sides of the banner. Then, add the border to the sides of the background. Then it all flows together.

And I know you are a newb at graphics because if you weren't, you would know how to take constructive criticism.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Just an addition to this.
Even if someone can't make good graphics, he can still have great knowledge of what is wrong and what is right, in terms of art or design.
Even people that know jack about art are entitled to their opinion. And if someone knows jack about art/design, and they tell you it looks wrong, it generally looks wrong.
Thank you.
That is a very valid point.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #20
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Quote:
Then do this. Make the border on the top and sides of the banner. Then, add the border to the sides of the background. Then it all flows together.
I'm thinking the bottom of the bg as well for the gold border.

Also, my banner wasn't even made by me, it was made by Tater_Tot. It's terrible I know, but it has meaning to me, cause it was made for me without my consent.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote