(suicidaln00b) Piano no Tame no Ensou Kyoku「Hoshi wo Meguru Tabi」 -
(Scintill) Scherzo Op.4 -
(MarioNintendo) Tiger Rag -
(SKG_Scintill) Valse Op.69 No.2 -
(Scintill) Waltz for Zizi (arr. Heui Sung Kim) -
(Scintill) Wow Wow Wow -
(Kinx) 憧れの非日常 -

Pack status!! (we still need gfx)

(Please help us with graphics! We also need a pack banner. I will include a thanks.txt file giving credit for any contribution.)

With Wayward Vagabond's permission, I am bringing back the Piano Minipack of Elegance 2. Due to unfortunate circumstances, most of WV's own files were lost when his computer died, but luckily the submissions were saved.

Aiming for: Release before December 31st 2018

Previous thread: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=147399

Rules:
-The song must be piano focused. Just because there is piano in the song doesn't mean it's okay to submit.
-technical dumps are fine other dumps are not
-multiple difficulties encouraged but not required
-6key encouraged but not required
-No resteps from previous pack
-Unreleased files

The goal is to have 15-20 solid files and the pack will be released once the goal is reached.

Submit your stuff to pianominipack2@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 01-4-2019 at 11:58 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: (Reborn!!) The Piano Minipack of Elegance 2 [NEED GFX]

Accepted (but please consider the following suggestions):
Hoshi wu Meguru Tabi (suicidaln00b): This caught me completely off guard, beautiful chart!
75.263s: Consider adding a grace note to this jump (probably around 75.205s)
88.548s-95.382s: The 7 seconds of silence here feel like an eternity. Looking at the waveform of the song, it almost looks like two songs juxtaposed together (between 93.792s and 95.652s there's actual complete lack of song). I don't know if this is in the original song, but would you mind altering the song a bit? I will send you an edit I made in Audacity. I believe if you use that version it will make the song feel more dynamic. (note: I didn't modify the silence at 126.919s, this one is fine)
102.997s: While the other mines in the song are ok in my opinion, I feel this one is a bit heavy handed. I'd consider removing it.
105.279s: Consider adding a jump here to match the intensity from the previous jump
133.219s and 134.175s: Could be a different jump than (13), since both of them are different sounds that the (13) at 131.118s.

Conditional files:
If you do not send a version of your file with the following modifications, it will not be included in the final pack.

Persephone (MintApril): The file has very nice potential, but the layering and pitch relevancy are all over the place. The usage of jumps and jacks is overally inconsistent. This file needs a major rework.

Piano Sonata in A Major, K. 331 (Baq12): The file wasn't bad but this definitely needs a cut. there is just way to much repetition to warrant a 3+ minute file for it.

Madoka Pianoforte (Xelnya): The ending is strange, and the song is long enough. I'd consider a cut at 394s. Also, there are a couple strange ghost notes/jumps/hands that are too sparse to find and list. If you'd like, I can go through the song and make some quick edits and get your approval on a v2. I want this song in the pack!

Normal Battle (Pixl): Cute file but here are some things I'd like to see addressed:
* There's a lot of copy/pasted sections. Considering the song is only 1:28, you should be able to add some slight variations between similar sections
* Some jumps should be single arrows (e.g. 10.61s, 25.303s, 28.61s..)
* Watch out for pitch relevancy (e.g. 8.54s should not be the same arrow as above, but 75.368s should be the same note as 75.161s)
* In your oni chart, 62.75s (the difficulty spike), your patterns are always the same even when different notes are heard (e.g. the notes at 62.75s vs. those at 64.40s). This really kills your climax.
Normal Battle v2 (Pixl): I dug a bit deeper and I'm sorry to say I came back with a lot more things to say (that I believe also applied to V1). The bottom line is that I think you should polish your PR a bit more. My feedback from v1 still applies: I'm convinced you can make a version that both has good PR and variety. Hopefully, this feedback will give you PR tips, so all you will have left to do is add variety
* The heavy are oni charts are now indistinguishable, save for the fast trills. These are not different enough anymore to warrant different charts. I suggest you merge them: for half the trills, have the easier pattern, and for the other half, the oni pattern. This will create variety. If you want to keep them separate, make them more different, while keeping in mind the comments from v1
* 0.68s For PR, should be "212" instead of "121". This happens more than once.
* 8.54s, 15.17s, ..: The PR for this arrow is wrong (considering arrow above)
* Measure 11: PR is wrong, should do something like "2 123" instead of having an 8th jack. Applies more than once.
* 23.440s PR with arrow below
* 25.30s There should not be a jump
* 27.16s to 27.68s, there shouldn't be any jack here for PR. This mistake applies for similar bits every time in this section
* 28.61s There should not be jumps here
* 31.01s Should be a down arrow for PR
* 1m14.95s Note should be different than the one below
* 1m15.16s This should be "434" instead of "432"
* 1m18.26s to 1m21.57s This section is copy pasted from the one above, yet the notes are different. This should be reflected in PR.
* 1m23.75s Starting here, there should not be jacks anymore
* Unfortunately, 31.92s to 1m01s is still a complete copy paste of what we just played previously. More than 50% of a song that is 1m30s is copy pasted! You claimed this is to maintain PR, but the PR is not perfect to begin with.

Normal Battle v3 (Pixl):
Yes! That's much better, both difficulties. I'll put it in the pack in its current form. However, I still have a few concerns, if you are willing to send a v4. Not necessary, though.
*7.51s and the arrow right before it are the same, but according to PR the one at 7.51s should be lower (applies more than once)
*14.34s This triplet is the same as the subliminal one in 13.51s. I know for the (14)34 you picture the left arrow to be with the melody. However the triplet at 14.34s still clashes a bit.
*23.44s You misunderstood my initial feedback! This note clashes with 23.65s: different sounds, but same notes. I am not "flat-out wrong" Applies more than once
*27.27s Why is this arrow the same as the one above? This should not be a jack, it is clearly a different note. I also pointed this out in my initial feedback. Applies more than once
*31.10s Could be a down arrow because different sound than 30.89s
*1m15.58s This triplet was fine the was it used to be (the sound is descending on each note), why did you change it? In this section, triplets like 1m15.16s should be indeed be "323", but triplets like 1m15.58s should be "321".
*1m28.20s Food for thought: this is the last chord and it's the lowest in the entire song. It could be neat to end on a "(12)" instead of a "(13)". You could have that by doing "...(23)4(13)4(12)"

Ouverture (Kaho):
* Why no jumps on notes like 11.94s?
* Watch out for this this of jack (e.g. at 14.09s, 1(134)). This does not belong with the melody and should be avoided.
* 34.33s These holds are way too long. In fact, it would play much better if the holds were completely removed. If you REALLY want to keep the holds, at least cut them in half.
* 57.20s In this section, not all notes should be jumps. Only the notes where the melody is doubled should have jumps. Otherwise, it really feels like random notes.
* 82s: Remove this mine

Rejected files:

La tristesse durera toujours (Kaho): This song/file feels aimless... Nothing's happening in this file. It's the same thing over and over, we're waiting for the song to take off, and it never does. The steps are fine, but this sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other files from this pack.

Quote:
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 12-22-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Bless mn for taking over ����
Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

oh shit
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
Cataclysm-
FFR Player

PogChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoko_Katsura
Oh Minacious. I very much remember you, you sassy gal. >.>;
We always butted heads <3
An Open Letter Re: 2003
Cataclysm- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
* There's a lot of copy/pasted sections. Considering the song is only 1:28, you should be able to add some slight variations between similar sections
This would break PR in a lot of places
Quote:
* Some jumps should be single arrows (e.g. 10.61s, 25.303s, 28.61s..)
Fixed where applicable, however some of the mentioned jumps have a very significantly louder volume compared to the piano notes around it which imo justifies some of the jumps.
Quote:
* Watch out for pitch relevancy (e.g. 8.54s should not be the same arrow as above, but 75.368s should be the same note as 75.161s)
the 2 places you mentioned have similar issues, that PR can only go so far with 4 lanes, and I prefer to avoid "wrap around" PR if its only going to wrap for one note (which instead makes it look like I have totally wrong PR instead)
Quote:
* In your oni chart, 62.75s (the difficulty spike), your patterns are always the same even when different notes are heard (e.g. the notes at 62.75s vs. those at 64.40s). This really kills your climax.
Theres only 3 ways to make jumptrills ([12][34]/[13][24]/[14][23]) and since each type is assigned to a certain part of that melody relative to their own sections, theres not really anything I can do to change it up other than to arbitrarily randomize which parts of the melody get which type of jumptrill just because the melody went down on octave or w/e.
I'll be sending the fixed version of the file soon, thanks for feedback
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
This would break PR in a lot of places

Yes and no... A varied file with flexible PR will always feel better for the player than a monotonous file with perfect PR. At least, that's what I learned from experience.

Fixed where applicable, however some of the mentioned jumps have a very significantly louder volume compared to the piano notes around it which imo justifies some of the jumps.

It's forgivable imo if the first few occurence(s) are stepped correctly. If you show you understand PR right away, a change in patterns will not be seen as a mistake, but rather as a way to make the chart feel more varied.

the 2 places you mentioned have similar issues, that PR can only go so far with 4 lanes, and I prefer to avoid "wrap around" PR if its only going to wrap for one note (which instead makes it look like I have totally wrong PR instead)

Again, being strict about PR is good, but it should not become an absolute. You should never feel like PR limits you to make an interesting chart. Especially when using jumps: since you have 2 arrows moving at once, there's no way to tell which arrow is moving up or down. In short, PR feels way worse when two different sounding sections look completely the same. The global picture is important

Theres only 3 ways to make jumptrills ([12][34]/[13][24]/[14][23]) and since each type is assigned to a certain part of that melody relative to their own sections, theres not really anything I can do to change it up other than to arbitrarily randomize which parts of the melody get which type of jumptrill just because the melody went down on octave or w/e.
I'll be sending the fixed version of the file soon, thanks for feedback
I don't remember the file enough to address this, but I'm sure you'll come up with something good
Writing on mobile, answered in quote!

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 11-25-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Madoka Pianoforte I (Xelnya): The ending is strange, and the song is long enough. I'd consider a cut at 394s. Also, there are a couple strange ghost notes/jumps/hands that are too sparse to find and list. If you'd like, I can go through the song and make some quick edits and get your approval on a v2. I want this song in the pack!
I'm fine with this bar cutting the song. I'm pretty intent on this getting released as a whole piece.

I debated cutting it myself because the ending file-wise isn't super interesting, but from the perspective of trying to make a really good file, cutting it kinda fucks with it too much, considering what the intention of the author of the song was trying to do, and that it gives it a super nice wind down.

I'm also a huge fan of this anime, and the ost is my personal favorite so I'm partially of the mindset of more is better lol
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Ok, i can live with that. I'll send you something soon.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #10
Kalre
FFR Player

Cheers mariongenesis !

Also its Triangle the one i sent 3 or 2 years ago ? I had hope it was at least decent XD!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #11
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I'm pretty sad there won't be any WV files cause he lost em since he's my favorite stepper, can't wait for this tho I love pme1 alot

Wait a sec I don't even play anymore... Well I'm excited to watch Etienne or snover uprate the files to 2.0 and get ded lol

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 11-26-2018 at 06:11 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #12
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalre View Post
Cheers mariongenesis !

Also its Triangle the one i sent 3 or 2 years ago ? I had hope it was at least decent XD!
Yes, unfortunately it was rejected.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author

id sent wv a file for this ages ago on discord and seems you didnt end up getting it during this

you want it
Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #14
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elekton View Post
id sent wv a file for this ages ago on discord and seems you didnt end up getting it during this

you want it
Great! Please find it and send it to the gmail address in the OP.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
riktoi
FFR Player

my file finally got rejected thank you
riktoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Ok, i can live with that. I'll send you something soon.
i'm so goddamned glad people get this sentiment lately
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

I sent suggestions for Xel.

My plans for tomorrow-ish:
- Update the spreadsheet to have youtube links for each songs (for any interested artists)
- Look at Pixl's revision (confirmed reception!)
- Start a new file wooooo!

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #18
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Oh hell yeah, good shit for reviving this, MN. I'll be playing it definitely and posting scores when the time comes.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #19
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author

gonna rework another file to see if its good while at it
Old 11-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #20
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Finished posting links in the spreadsheet, please have a look and see if you can lend a hand.

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks