Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Health and Fitness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #341
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf
Default Re: Misc. progress thread

Bump with 290lbs bench. 10lb PR, rpe 9, 160lbs bw

Last edited by SCWolf; 12-21-2015 at 08:58 PM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #342
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

nearing 2x BW BP

that's like... elite powerlifter ratios
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #343
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I did a 245x8 bench, which puts my 1RM higher than chris's according to a calculator, but pretty sure last time I tried to max at 285 I snapped my shit up so fuck that.

I also weight 35 more lbs than him.

lol

Last edited by Reach; 12-26-2015 at 09:36 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2016, 03:30 AM   #344
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Today I started working out my muscles until they burn intensely instead of just doing several easy sets a day. Maybe I will see results after a year of this. (results as in more strength/bigger muscles)

30x15 curl ups with dumb bells then three hundred sit ups and finish with 50 push-ups and lay on the ground until I can move again to pursue other activities.

Edit: @SCWolf - burning sensation
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 01-3-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2016, 11:22 AM   #345
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Honestly muscle pain isn't necessarily something to strive for during a workout. While "pain" is subjective per person, it is in no way something you need to feel when working out in order to make progress. A burning sensation in the muscles during the end of your set is something totally common though, but I feel that's not what you're referring to if you're doing 300 situps.

The easiest way to tell you're doing the job is when you feel a swelling in the muscles you're working, otherwise known as a pump. Working out to muscular pain sounds potentially problematic.

Not trying to shut you down or anything, just hoping to make things a little easier.

Also if by pain, you meant that burning sensation I was referring to then disregard this completely.

Last edited by SCWolf; 01-3-2016 at 11:29 AM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2016, 06:06 PM   #346
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

300 situps

You should really make them harder for yourself. Doing 300 reps of something is really not very useful.

Unless you did like 15 sets or something, at which point well...good luck with that. My abs are usually dead after 5-6 sets lmao.
Old 01-3-2016, 07:06 PM   #347
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
300 situps

You should really make them harder for yourself. Doing 300 reps of something is really not very useful.

Unless you did like 15 sets or something, at which point well...good luck with that. My abs are usually dead after 5-6 sets lmao.
My abs don't tire out nearly as quickly as my arms do, that's why so many repetitions. By the time I make it to 200 I don't really feel any burn so I keep going until I do (which is around 300) but after 40 pushups my arms burn. When I do sets it takes double the time before I feel any burn. Should I start doing smaller sets or does it not matter considering how many it takes until I feel a burn?

gonna research how to make sit ups harder now ._.
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 01-3-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2016, 04:27 AM   #348
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

resistance training is about causing muscular microtrauma, which induces a growth process as an adaptation to stress.

unless you have been training for a while and are very good at recognizing when an area is undergoing stress, you will probably not get this desired stress response if you are doing 200 reps. you almost certainly need to be doing heavier shit than that.

this article is part of a series, but it touches enough on the subject: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011...abdominis.html
Old 01-5-2016, 05:53 PM   #349
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

About to my first deload week in almost 2 years AMA
Old 01-6-2016, 06:16 AM   #350
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My abs don't tire out nearly as quickly as my arms do, that's why so many repetitions. By the time I make it to 200 I don't really feel any burn so I keep going until I do (which is around 300) but after 40 pushups my arms burn. When I do sets it takes double the time before I feel any burn. Should I start doing smaller sets or does it not matter considering how many it takes until I feel a burn?

gonna research how to make sit ups harder now ._.
My only explanation here is that you're doing them wrong.

200 reps in a single set?

This sounds oddly familiar to a girl I know that once told me she also did 300 situps. I was like, lol, no. Anyway, she gets down to show me how she does them and I almost spit up my drink.

Rep quality matters infinitely more than rep quantity when dealing with body weight movements. You want to fully contract and engage your abdominals and minimize the usage of things like your back, your legs, momentum, etc.

Focus on doing crunches instead of situps for a bit so you can get the feel for what it should be like. Honestly, your abs should start knotting up after 10-20 repetitions if you're engaging them properly and fully. You want to squeeeeeze the abs. Put your hand on your stomach as you crunch and feel the muscle get harder, keep squeezing until it contracts fully and you can't squeeze them any harder. Try to get used to that feeling, let your mind connect with the contraction of the muscle. Slowly relax and then squeeze as hard as you can.

From my experience, many people will back off during a squeeze and stop short of where they should be contracting, because 'it hurts' etc. But that's the point. It should hurt and if you're contracting fully it should feel extremely difficult to complete the movement.

If you're doing it properly these should start to burn pretty quickly. That's what you want. Simply doing more repetitions isn't going to get you anywhere.

Last edited by Reach; 01-6-2016 at 06:18 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #351
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

biceps are pushing 16" but lats are so huge that my upgrade of shirt size is primarily due to chest circumference (mostly caused by lats) and my arms look tiny in the upgraded shirt size

big lat problems
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #352
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I was at 179lbs in october, down from 198 in july

up to 184. gonna try another push to get to 175 before figuring out what to do from there
Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #353
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

At least you seemed to maintain some of that weight you cut off which is good. I don't think it'll take you too long to get back down.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #354
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Started my cut on Jan 4th. NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS FTW

Naw, it was just a good time to start my cut. Planning a 3 month cut, start weight was 202...again, albeit leaner than last time I was 202 so I definitely put on a decent amount of muscle. Down to 197.5 already. Water weight is easy.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #355
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
At least you seemed to maintain some of that weight you cut off which is good. I don't think it'll take you too long to get back down.
working with food all day is a massive display of willpower and combatting urges to gouge my face in fried chicken
Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #356
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

i used to think i was really good at situps then i realized i was just using my legs to pull myself up. learned to stop using my legs and start using my abdominals and WOOOHHHH

anyways i think i am gonna start some sort of regular exercise routine, probably just something cardio until i can afford a gym membership (paying for something is likely to increase my motivation). i'm super sedentary right now

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #357
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
working with food all day is a massive display of willpower and combatting urges to gouge my face in fried chicken
#1 reason servers stay fat is the fucking free bread near the expo station, or whatever the restaurant's equivalent of free bread is
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #358
kommisar
Dark Chancellor

or as your own facebook post said, your inability to resist urges. in restaurants especially people eat like shit and will literally pack 3-4k calories without realizing it.

at least if I gain weight I can admit it's my own dumb fault haha. the first 20 pounds I lost weren't really difficult to lose but idk if that's a shallow thing to say because I know so many people that struggle with it.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #359
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I put a lot of stress on percentiles and the relative difficulty of doing things because I think both confidence and humility are counterproductive to neutral assessment of your abilities. If you know exactly where you and other people stand on something you can say, for example, "I am better than x% of people at this thing" and be exactly accurate.

Fat loss is objectively hard (in that only a small percentage of the population can successfully do it) but it's the most simplistic aspect of fitness. People's struggle with it doesn't change the relative difficulty of doing that.

Roughly 66% of gym members stop going 6 months after they buy their contract, so by definition anyone who goes after 6 months is in the upper 1/3 or above-average compared to them. It's not like showing up at a gym is hard; the average person just tends to have middle-of-the-road willpower and cognitive ability (hence the word 'average') and in a culture where the average allows for mediocrity, they're going to fall back into that.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #360
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

Check out my legs. I don't really work out but I've been walking about 15 miles a day for the past two days and I plan on getting in 30+ mile day shape. I've been eating like an animal

Think I could kick somebody's teeth in?
-JiZ53- is offline   Reply With Quote