Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: why should we care about other people?

because reasons
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #22
Buta-san
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Buta-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JiZ53- View Post
It is obviously something that any group of people needs to be cohesive
Not any group of people are cohesive. There are many times you are stuck with other people you dislike, don't agree with especially working.
It's more obvious why people would care about other people.

Last edited by Buta-san; 12-23-2015 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #23
janetfdoss
Banned

Quote:
What good is it to care about the feelings or welfare of other people? It is obviously something that any group of people needs to be cohesive, but for an individual with no group, in a society as large as ours, what good is caring about other people?
It is very good to take care about others. At least i try to go with these thoughts.
Old 01-5-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Once again I'm late to the discussion. w/e

If you want an objective reason to care about other people, the most convincing practical argument that I can come up with is that it is simply objectively beneficial to cooperate with other people.

Take any economics 101 class and you'll understand this. If people specialized in particular jobs, they would collectively get more done. A basic math problem can demonstrate proof of concept on a micro-level. On a larger scale, it's much easier to observe through example: It's completely unfeasible and absurd to imagine that a single human being is capable of producing a modern computer from circuit components, let alone nature. Yet humanity as a whole has not only done that, but can also mass produce it on a level that makes it accessible for most any middle-class person.

Your entire life is inevitably going to involve interactions with other people, there's really no way to avoid it (unless you're absolutely committed to it, which will involve very heavy sacrifices). Even if you wanted to be a complete sociopath, it's still in your benefit to treat other people as objects that can work to your benefit if you know how to handle them. If you objectify and disrespect people, they're not going to be willing to work with you, so being able to empathize (or even put up a convincing facade) is a good skill to learn. This is something that most intelligent sociopaths generally realize and accept.

Unfortunately though, similar to the other thread, I don't think the author of the opening post actually cares enough about discussion, and really just wants to post vapid pseudo-philosophical cliches for attention.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 01-5-2016 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-5-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post

Unfortunately though, similar to the other thread, I don't think the author of the opening post actually cares enough about discussion, and really just wants to post vapid pseudo-philosophical cliches for attention.
what gave you this idea
Old 01-6-2016, 05:01 AM   #26
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Empathy is a real thing most people feel
Old 01-6-2016, 05:28 AM   #27
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

New thread topic

why do we think?
why must we all have different perspectives and not just think the same things regardless of our own personal experiences?

why are do we us?
Old 01-7-2016, 03:20 AM   #28
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

Quote:
Once again I'm late to the discussion. w/e

If you want an objective reason to care about other people, the most convincing practical argument that I can come up with is that it is simply objectively beneficial to cooperate with other people.

Take any economics 101 class and you'll understand this. If people specialized in particular jobs, they would collectively get more done. A basic math problem can demonstrate proof of concept on a micro-level. On a larger scale, it's much easier to observe through example: It's completely unfeasible and absurd to imagine that a single human being is capable of producing a modern computer from circuit components, let alone nature. Yet humanity as a whole has not only done that, but can also mass produce it on a level that makes it accessible for most any middle-class person.

Your entire life is inevitably going to involve interactions with other people, there's really no way to avoid it (unless you're absolutely committed to it, which will involve very heavy sacrifices). Even if you wanted to be a complete sociopath, it's still in your benefit to treat other people as objects that can work to your benefit if you know how to handle them. If you objectify and disrespect people, they're not going to be willing to work with you, so being able to empathize (or even put up a convincing facade) is a good skill to learn. This is something that most intelligent sociopaths generally realize and accept.

You somehow managed to write four inane paragraphs while completely missing the point of my question. If you had taken How To Not Be an Idiot 101, you might have learned that everything you wrote is completely wrong and that cooperating with people isnt the same thing as caring about people. Unfortunately though, similar to most of your other posts, I don't think you actually care enough about discussion, and really just want to post vapid pseudo-philosophical cliches for attention.[/quote]
Old 01-7-2016, 06:39 AM   #29
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I feel with the previous discussion we've somewhat arrived at a conclusion in regards to "why should we at least pretend to care about people?"

So that raises the question of "Why should we genuinely care as opposed to just pretending to care about people?" As I said earlier, addressing this is difficult. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that genuinely caring is less stressful and mentally exhausting than pretending to care in my opinion; pretending to care would involve creating, developing, and maintaining an entire life-long facade and that doesn't sound very fun to do.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 01-7-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

It depends on what each individual wants for themselves. If more people genuinely cared about others, the good coming from that would be a world with better morals which seems like a nice idea. Some people are depressed because they feel like nobody cares or nobody actually does care about them, so if you can care about someone you should for their sake, usually oneself feels good when helping others. Did I interpret your question right? .-.
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #31
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

Quote:
What good is it to care about the feelings or welfare of other people?
The good that comes from caring about people is that it motivates people to cooperate with each other, and then my argument above follows. I did in fact answer your question, I just assumed that this much was already obvious and I didn't need to explain it.

Quote:
...cooperating with people isnt the same thing as caring about people.
Semantics. If you were referring to "caring" as strictly an emotional response you should not have phrased the question the way you did. On top of that, you'd be proving my point. As strictly an emotional response, no one can make you care about anything [directly], so asking people to convince you to care is vapid and attention-seeking.

We can teach and influence people to care about stuff by explaining or demonstrating objective reasons that relates to things the person already cares about. This is why I phrased the response the way I did. It is a general blanket concept that gives everyone a reason to care about other people. If you actually cared to care about other people and learn something, you'd take the argument for what it is and relate it to your own reason to care and contribute to the discussion with meaningful responses. By being salty and snapping back at me you're showing that what you actually cared about was being part of a conversation and your own ego, regardless of content.

P.S. Thanks for the "your files suck" comment on my wall. I appreciate all kinds of feedback. ;P

Last edited by stargroup100; 01-13-2016 at 05:24 AM..
Old 01-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

I think we should care about other people because love nourishes the soul, and a man without love is a man with a tormented soul. I am not speaking of physical love, but of love that comes from the soul. love that comes from a desire to better yourself through the union with another, not parasitically, but symbiotically.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #33
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

This is a good question, as there are many answers.

One can argue we only care about other people because it makes us feel worthy, or better. This in a way can be looked at as rather selfish, as we are only doing it because it makes us feel better.

Another way to think about is just because humanity, for the most part has raised us to be compassionate, and care about others. This may not always be genuine, but for the most part, myself and the people whom I choose to surround myself with do that very thing; we are compassionate, and truly do care about others. In a way this makes people like us vulnerable as we can be easier to take advantage of by those who "act" like they care.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #34
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

Quote:
I think we should care about other people because love nourishes the soul, and a man without love is a man with a tormented soul. I am not speaking of physical love, but of love that comes from the soul. love that comes from a desire to better yourself through the union with another, not parasitically, but symbiotically.
word salad

define soul
what you just said literally means nothing

all you wanna do is listen to yourself talk. if you already have an answer [to your shitty question], why are you "quizzing" us?

Last edited by stargroup100; 01-16-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Old 01-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #35
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

Quote:
word salad

define soul

all you wanna do is listen to yourself talk. if you already have an answer [to your shitty question], why are you "quizzing" us?
I predicted this response from you. Perhaps you should learn to think figuratively. I see no point in discussing this with somebody so hostile. It's ironic that all of your responses to this thread have been meaningless to me and have provided no insight to the topic. This combined with the pretense of your stance are why I do not see any reason to care about your posts or discuss this topic with you. If you do not know of the soul, I suggest you read some philosophy.

Last edited by -JiZ53-; 01-16-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Old 01-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #36
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
word salad

define soul

lmao best post in this thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #37
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

Quote:
I predicted this response from you.
you have to be near my level first

Quote:
Perhaps you should learn to think figuratively. I see no point in discussing this with somebody so hostile. It's ironic that all of your responses to this thread have been meaningless to me and have provided no insight to the topic. This combined with the pretense of your stance are why I do not see any reason to care about your posts or discuss this topic with you.
it's not ironic, it's because you're stupid

Quote:
If you do not know of the soul, I suggest you read some philosophy.
***** you can't even define philosophy without a dictionary

Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #38
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

Quote:
you have to be near my level first

it's not ironic, it's because you're stupid

***** you can't even define philosophy without a dictionary
the childish nature of your responses in this thread seem to indicate that you are an individual dealing with a lot of frustration. I hope that you can find something to ease your troubled mind. I guarantee that directing your frustration at me is futile. you are like a child, imagine that I am your mother, here to soothe you.

now stargroup100, have you had anything to eat today? we all know how baby gets when he hasn't had his num-num. here suck on this pacifier, mommy is going to go in her room and read big kid books
Old 01-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #39
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

lmao the contradictions you make jiz are prime

Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #40
-JiZ53-
FFR Player

where did I contradict myself?
Closed Thread