Old 11-9-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Lucid Dreaming

Hallucinogenic drugs completely unlocked my mind as far as my sleep pattern goes.

Because I know what reality is and what is total bull****, when I go into deep sleep, during the cycle where your body releases DMT, I have wildly vivid, completely alternate reality dreams. My photographic memory helps me remember every single dream I have, and it's quite wild the things your brain can create in the span of about 15 minutes.

As far as lucid dreaming goes, I can hardly ever induce myself into a lucid state, unless I'm in an environment where I need to "turn off" externalized function. It's really difficult to explain, because the only time I can do it on command is under the influence of mushrooms.

I just wait until I have the ability to get fully comfortable and rested 'til I sleep and it causes me to enjoy my nights so much more.
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
sameoldbloodrush!
FFR Player

I've only had one lucid dream and it was so weird. I've tried to read things and do it again, but it's so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite- View Post
That's what she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles2224 View Post
They sentenced him 300 years cause this is sparta.
sameoldbloodrush! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:59 PM   #23
tangomango
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I've had a few accidental ones, but I was not exactly able to control what was happening. It would usually happen when I was dreaming something totally ridiculous.

I would be like "Wtf, this can't be real", but I would always end up thinking "lol w/e" and going along with the rest of the dream.
tangomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:04 PM   #24
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender5 View Post
Hallucinogenic drugs completely unlocked my mind as far as my sleep pattern goes.

Because I know what reality is and what is total bull****, when I go into deep sleep, during the cycle where your body releases DMT, I have wildly vivid, completely alternate reality dreams. My photographic memory helps me remember every single dream I have, and it's quite wild the things your brain can create in the span of about 15 minutes.

As far as lucid dreaming goes, I can hardly ever induce myself into a lucid state, unless I'm in an environment where I need to "turn off" externalized function. It's really difficult to explain, because the only time I can do it on command is under the influence of mushrooms.

I just wait until I have the ability to get fully comfortable and rested 'til I sleep and it causes me to enjoy my nights so much more.
What's hallucinating like? I've always wondered, but I just don't have the balls to take drugs that'll allow me to. Like LSD or Shrooms.

On topic; whoever brought up the idea of maintaining a dream journal is absolutely correct. Taking daily notes of what you dream of definitely helps enable lucid dreams. It also has to be something that you're constantly consciously thinking of. I've had a countless amount of lucid dreams, they're fun.. flying through walls, jumping off buildings. I personally think the most euphoric feeling experienced during a lucid dream is the moment you realize you're dreaming.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:15 PM   #25
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

So basically..

1. Make a dream journal that you keep track of after every dream that you remember.
2. Notice some patterns of things that are weird.
3. Train yourself to notice these things while dreaming
4. Lucid Dream

right?

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:19 PM   #26
leonid
I am leonid

My favorite method to know whether I'm dreaming or not is bending my fingers back.

If the fingers bend so well they touch the back of your hand without any pain, you are dreaming.

Another good method is to try to breathe with your mouth and nose shut.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:22 PM   #27
[TeRa]
FFR Player
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

A while ago I came across Robert Monroe while searching for lucid dreaming, OBEs, and sleep paralysis type stuff, interesting to say the least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_-PDqQ9bM

I also found out about alternate sleep patterns, mainly this: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720
Due to only having 30 or so minute naps, you pretty much fall straight into REM sleep, it makes dreams easier to have/remember, which I would imagine would make achieving lucidity easier. You pretty much optimize your wake time, but you'll need a nap every like 6 hours or you'll be exhausted. I dunno if there are any real health hazards or benefits to this though.

Anyways, I was able to remember my dreams usually 3-4 days out of the week, I tried to make reality checks pretty much a natural reaction but I never got far with that, I wanna get back into this because it's pretty interesting and would be awesome to have a sense of control over.

Last edited by [TeRa]; 11-9-2010 at 07:34 PM..
[TeRa] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:33 PM   #28
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

So why would you want to be a Lucid dreamer? Just a question to ask since that hasn't really been addressed in this thread (at least, not clearly).

I mean I myself am able to know when I'm dreaming since they're usually bat**** insane in many aspects, lol.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:34 PM   #29
leonid
I am leonid

For me, it really helped me getting idea for various creative activities.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:35 PM   #30
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

dang didn't know there were so many lucid dreamers on ffr
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
LilyPichu
FFR Player

Lucid dreaming is great. Lately I've been having more sleep paralysis (and the awareness of it; don't know what it's called) more than lucid dreaming though, and that sucks because I'm not free to do whatever I like. I mean, I know I'm dreaming, but I can't move and I can't transition to actual dreaming.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #32
spartanumaw
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TeRa] View Post
A while ago I came across Robert Monroe while searching for lucid dreaming, OBEs, and sleep paralysis type stuff, interesting to say the least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_-PDqQ9bM

I also found out about alternate sleep patterns, mainly this: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720
Due to only having 30 or so minute naps, you pretty much fall straight into REM sleep, it makes dreams easier to have/remember, which I would imagine would make achieving lucidity easier. You pretty much optimize your wake time, but you'll need a nap every like 6 hours or you'll be exhausted. I dunno if there are any real health hazards or benefits to this though.

Anyways, I was able to remember my dreams usually 3-4 days out of the week, I tried to make reality checks pretty much a natural reaction but I never got far with that, I wanna get back into this because it's pretty interesting and would be awesome to have a sense of control over.
I have been doing the 30 minute nap deal since i was about 7 because of what i believed to be insomnia. I am now 19. These 30 minute naps make it so I fall into The REM state consistantly. If your wondering about health effects, I am physically in great shape. I do not recomend this though. I have lost almost all perception of time. I never know what day it is,ever. It has blended my days into one, rarely will i ever get that "next day" feeling.

EDIT:
Also some of my favorite reality test are:
Touching fire
Cell phone checking
clock watching
car stereos noise levels
underwater breathing<---never do that one on purpose
We have doomed the Wolf not for what it is, but for what we have deliberately and mistakenly perceived it to be.. the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer..Which is in reality no more than a reflexed image of ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubin0 View Post
Yeah good things happen for me when I'm not lurking on FFR too. It's called life.

Last edited by spartanumaw; 11-10-2010 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Also:
spartanumaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #33
basicdrummerman
rusty old fart
Event Staff
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I've gotten stuck in a lucid dream before. Tripped me the hell out. Every time I would go to do something, say open a door, as soon as i would grab or touch it i would realize that i was actually laying on the couch and found myself laying back on it. That just kept happening over and over. As cool as it was it started to freak me out because i couldn't seem to wake up from it no matter how hard i tried. I always ended back on the couch into another dream. I have become more successful since then, given it was my first one. I have really started to gain more and more control over my lucid dreams, and they are starting to really become something amazing. Personally i really enjoy them, even with that first bad one.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #34
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The only lucid dream I recall was awesome because I somehow could solve any situation through ridiculous means. I was going up a glass elevator in a mall, and it got stuck. I somehow thought it was perfectly ok to jump right through the glass window; I did and the glass just shattered like that. Realizing it was a dream, I also couldn't care less about my body's impact on the ground - as a result, I only felt a thump; my limbs didn't crumple, it didn't hurt, and I didn't die. I could only imagine how much more terrifying it would be if I was in realization of a dream in which I had no control over, but luckily, my only experience I recall was a fun one for sure.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #35
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

A friend of mine made a lucid dreaming mask awhile back let me see if I can find the link.

Found it: http://cloudenema.blogspot.com/2009/...ming-mask.html

He says it works alright.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #36
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPichu View Post
Lucid dreaming is great. Lately I've been having more sleep paralysis (and the awareness of it; don't know what it's called) more than lucid dreaming though, and that sucks because I'm not free to do whatever I like. I mean, I know I'm dreaming, but I can't move and I can't transition to actual dreaming.
Sleep paralysis is terrifying. At least the first time you experience it. I've lost count of how many episodes I've had. Sometimes I would have two, maybe even three episodes in one night alone. I'm so used to them, I've developed enough energy to slightly tilt my body back an forth during an episode to snap myself out of it quicker. It's terrifying not only because you're unable to move, but also because of the hallucinating you may experience (both audio and visual).

I've only hallucinated visually once, and it wasn't' that scary because I wasn't even aware I was hallucinating, I thought I was dreaming. But the audio hallucinations are very frightening.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #37
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
So why would you want to be a Lucid dreamer? Just a question to ask since that hasn't really been addressed in this thread (at least, not clearly).

I mean I myself am able to know when I'm dreaming since they're usually bat**** insane in many aspects, lol.
Lucid dreaming is mainly for control. When you can control your dreams, you can have fun. While you could certainly sit in your chair and imagine an entire scenario in your head all day, it isn't automated like a dream is -- there's no feedback from your own brain. Being able to control your dreams is, at its core, a way to interact with your own mind -- a brain playing with itself. But it's really what you make of it. You can use them for fun, or meditation, or keeping nightmares at bay.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
dang didn't know there were so many lucid dreamers on ffr
Everyone can also control their tensor tympanis too >.>

Everyone but me that is.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
Blue Bird
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Blue Bird

I remember I had a dream once, where I fell into some quicksand, and was unable to get out. A group of friends were about half a mile away from me, and I tried crying out for help to them, but they were unable to listen. So I slowly sank into the quicksand until I was completely underneath it.

Next thing I know, the dream sort of did a "reverse", and I was back to a few moments BEFORE I fell into the quicksand! o.o So then I went to the group of friends which were half a mile away, and asked why they didn't come help me. They said they didn't hear me, and after I explained to them what had happened, they asked how I got out of the quicksand. And here is the part I VIVIDLY remember from my dream. My exact words to them, were:

"Oh, because since this is a dream, I was able to go back in time to just before I fell inside the quicksand, and avoid it."

When I woke up and thought about it, I nearly shat myself. From inside of my dream, I KNEW it was a dream, but I wasn't able to just do whatever I felt like doing. I simply did what I had to do.

To be able to do anything you want inside of your dreams, is something I think we all wish we were capable of doing when we go to sleep at night. =p Maybe one day we will have a better understanding of how our minds work, and be able to do awesome things, such as extracting a visual representation of our dreams (even though that concept is more farfetched than time-travelling).
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
So I slowly sank into the quicksand until I was completely underneath it.

Next thing I know, the dream sort of did a "reverse", and I was back to a few moments BEFORE I fell into the quicksand! o.o
I would die and wake up.