Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-4-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
potasium56
FFR Player

Thumbs up Adding FFR To Steam Free To Play

Man, wish this game had more players!!!!, has the FFR devs ever think of adding this game to steam free to play section for added publicity? since they now have a stand alone client.

Thinking doing so would get more people playing ffr and have more players in multiplayer

Last edited by potasium56; 04-4-2018 at 01:08 PM..
potasium56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8
Default Re: Adding FFR To Steam Free To Play

yeah, that would be great!
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

*drunk ramblings*

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 06-14-2022 at 07:53 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

*drunk ramblings*

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 06-14-2022 at 07:53 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
potasium56
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
hmm that would be cool actually also they should integrate steam leaderboards and achievements etc and make the game good first

edit: im tellin ya all, the only way to make this game popular is to like, encourage people to become long term players, you need to emphasize da fukkk out of the improvement aspect of it, make top 15 scores apparent, make it so every time u get a new top score shit flashes and pops up and its like "OMGGGG YOU GAINED RANKSS!!!!" and stuff, add like, some "suggest me a song to play based on my current top scores n shiet xD" button, etc etc. people need instant gratification and flashy colors n stuff to encourage them to become dedicated players, its like osu, farming for PP etc makes the game popular and encourages people to get really good because its fun.
Yeah, that too. But to even add it to steam free to play section would dramatically improve the games player-base 10 fold. Obviously the devs would have to create or outsource a ffr game trailer for steam, but shouldn't be to hard. Then write a captivating game description listing the features and why people should play aka competing in the leaderboard ect....

Last edited by potasium56; 04-4-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-4-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
just consider this, the average new FFR player has literally no idea who any of the top FFR players are, but like, new osu players are like "OMG RAFISS!!! OMG COOKIEZIEE!!!!" etc. wheres the motivation to git gud at? they probably dont even know the main point of the game is to git good, like dangggg
"OMG DOSSAR!!! OMG ETIENNE!!!"

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

possible overflow of mashers and fakers but that doesn't really matter too much :/. really annoying though
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
potasium56
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMaple8 View Post
possible overflow of mashers and fakers but that doesn't really matter too much :/. really annoying though
Yes its possible, but who knows how many solid players we will also get in return.
Old 04-4-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Velocity
Doing the wrong thing the right way since 2010.
Site and Game Administrator
AdministratorRetired StaffDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I won't say much about it, but a steam version is planned but I'm running into technically issues with how the game interacts with steam, with things like the overlay and notifications. On top of that, there isn't any clear instructions/tutorials for new players to get into the game or how to player and honestly the settings menu is completely overwhelming for most players as well.

Because of the small screen size of the game, steam notifications take up a large amount of screen space when they appear and the overlay is way too small to be usable. It also breaks when the overlay itself opens and doesn't appear to be closable in any reliable way.

Things are still in testing for fixes to these issues, so an update on it will come at a later date. Work is still going on a new version of the site that has a lot less issues for things like real time rank updates and leaderboards that don't take 10+ seconds each time, along redoing a lot of the site navigation to be clearer for new players and returning players.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
its like osu, farming for PP etc makes the game popular and encourages people to get really good because its fun.
osu is literally the most boring rhythm game I have ever touched, and farming PP when the system isn't obvious is just shit. The fact anyone likes that system confuses me a lot. I have zero idea how it works, or why it even matters other than people assigned it a meaning.

Back when I played FFR heavily, the only thing I wanted was to get higher in the leader boards and win tournaments. I ended up beating out people in some rankings because some players are lazy and skip files in the game, because they're bored with easier files. Which is cool and all but I guess they're missing out. A lot of the easier files in the game are the best crafted IMHO. I used to hate July as a file, but fuck does it do a good job of being a simfile, and for teaching.

Games like this function strictly on a ranking board, and immediate rewards. If you can't get into that, sadly there's not too much to do. Achievement tokens are a great step we took, but skill tokens still need LOADS of work. It still makes zero sense that we reward players for playing "badly." It makes no sense to tell players to play a file and get a precise score that involves ignoring notes, where it's not explained to you on the skill token page how to even do it. Or how about the skill token that requires a score of 0 to unlock? The skill token that involves a reference to a glitch, that no newer players know or care about? Nice historical nod, but that doesn't do much for a new player. We have a wiki for history.

There's fucking work to be done. But it's still despite all that, better than the PP system ever will be. I can at least explain why people think / thought these systems were good. I'm not stupid in that some people see the fun in playing files in a different way, but it's still stupid to classify it with the more instant reward types.

Quote:
just consider this, the average new FFR player has literally no idea who any of the top FFR players are, but like, new osu players are like "OMG RAFISS!!! OMG COOKIEZIEE!!!!" etc. wheres the motivation to git gud at? they probably dont even know the main point of the game is to git good, like dangggg
Knowing who the top players are, isn't important. The issue is our lack of tourneys / strong events, but with the site how it is, I'm not complaining, just saying it's a thing that'd have to change with an influx of new players. (And I predict it would.) Nothing going on currently spawns competition, and even then, if you're a person who likes to post your "good" scores, often you're considered annoying, or ignored in the scores threads.

I think FFR is a game that could VERY EASILY benefit from steam integration, but the issue then becomes: steam is a shit hole, good luck getting noticed. Our game needs work. We have a great game team, it can be done. It could go well.

Long part of my post short: It'd be neat especially since FFR Air is now a thing. But just, if we do this, PLEASE let's try to fix our player rewards and stuff a bit while we're at it if this is gonna be a thing.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I won't say much about it, but a steam version is planned but I'm running into technically issues with how the game interacts with steam, with things like the overlay and notifications. On top of that, there isn't any clear instructions/tutorials for new players to get into the game or how to player and honestly the settings menu is completely overwhelming for most players as well.

Because of the small screen size of the game, steam notifications take up a large amount of screen space when they appear and the overlay is way too small to be usable. It also breaks when the overlay itself opens and doesn't appear to be closable in any reliable way.

Things are still in testing for fixes to these issues, so an update on it will come at a later date. Work is still going on a new version of the site that has a lot less issues for things like real time rank updates and leaderboards that don't take 10+ seconds each time, along redoing a lot of the site navigation to be clearer for new players and returning players.
ofc velo ninja's me a bit

you jerk

but holy shit this is news
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
potasium56
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

Its good to know, you actually working on it. Sad to hear your having issue with it and hope to see the steam version this year......?

I also agree, the game isn't really newbie friendly. Im kinda new, and learned the in game settings via the forum and the kind community gave me some pointers.

Wounder if you are able to add a mouse hover help tip for each settings in the options menu explaining their function, as an example if you hover your mouse over framerate: a small window shows with the explanation and once you move your mouse it disappears.

Anyways,

good luck with the developing

Last edited by potasium56; 04-4-2018 at 03:41 PM..
Old 04-4-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Steamy news there

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
skill tokens still need LOADS of work. It still makes zero sense that we reward players for playing "badly." It makes no sense to tell players to play a file and get a precise score that involves ignoring notes, where it's not explained to you on the skill token page how to even do it. Or how about the skill token that requires a score of 0 to unlock? The skill token that involves a reference to a glitch, that no newer players know or care about? Nice historical nod, but that doesn't do much for a new player. We have a wiki for history.
Here we go again (could probably make another thread on this tbh, one's overdue). I don't think antiskilling is necessarily a bad skillset to request of someone trying to prove their mastery of this game through skill tokens. Is there an overabundance of anti-skill tokens? Yeah probably. Should they be removed entirely? I don't think so.

I think as we are moving closer and closer to R^3 exclusivity, changing some of the STs that require a fuckload of averages to require a fuckload of amazings instead would be a welcome change, since the 1-frame requirement is maintained. On the other hand, requirements like Nanairopanda v2 and Destiny v2 are unique and interesting enough to keep their slots (IMO), but PLEASE be more transparent with what actually needs to be done for tokens like Destiny v2 as it is not immediately obvious that you need to dodge all the up and right arrows (as mentioned by Xel in his post). Without this transparency, some of these requirements are simply unapproachable.

One thing that I think is an absolute must is some sort of difficulty sorting for skill tokens. If you look at the first 10 alone, you can approximate the skill level required to complete them:
Code:
Spontaneous Hydroxide v2 - D2/D3
Dazzling Destiny - Anyone who can mash without failing
Hellbeat V2 - D3
Idol - D1
First Try - First week player
UNknown Girl - D2
Gaussian Blur 2 - D4
BB Revenge - D1/D2
Spinning With You - D3
Manhattan Sapphire - D3
These 10 alone vary in skill range from D0 to D4 and this pattern continues throughout the list. The ability to sort these by relative difficulty would be a nice feature and make skill tokens more approachable for newer players.

It becomes a question of whether or not the devs feel like a skill token rework is something worth doing. I'd be happy to participate if such a project were to be approved.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Oh and something needs to be done about credits too.

k bye

Old 04-4-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Spontaneous Hydroxide v2 - D2/D3
You need to be d2/d3 to AAA a 9?

Easiest way to -basically- difficulty sort skill tokens: List them in order of most people who have it to least.

Last edited by devonin; 04-4-2018 at 06:22 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

it's a synth file yo. Many D1 players don't have the ability to AAA anything, let alone a blue note *ahem* masterpiece like that.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 04-4-2018 at 06:35 PM..
Old 04-4-2018, 06:41 PM   #18
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Would be nice if D1 were actually that low. It might mean I had any chance whatsoever to make it past a round or 2 in d2 where I've been stuck for years despite being a D1 player. :P
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
hi19hi19
lol happy

Reading this thread makes me laugh

Hey guys remember when skill tokens came out and I told Tass that their implementation was absolute fucking ass for new players and then he ignored me and now everyone agrees skill tokens have been needing a rework for the past 10 years?

Hey guys remember when I said we need a better tutorial/onboarding for new players and more accessible easy levels?

Hey guys remember when I was technically part of the dev team and I made a bunch of simple wireframes for changes with suggestions like adding a way to search for songs and putting a "play the game" major call to action link to on the homepage and then years later the devs that remained (bless ur hearts btw) actually decided these were probably good things to do

Hey guys remember when ThirdStyle was supposed to be this big revolution of online 4k VSRGs and had a bunch of skilled coders and great community members backing it then made many of the same boneheaded design decisions FFR has and then it died too

Its almost like this game was designed in 2003 by someone who had absolutely no idea how to design a game and still retains all the shit design decisions a decade and a half later
Newsflash FFR's UX is shit and that's why the game is dying, even if it were added to Steam some core features are such absolute garbage to use that being on Steam wouldn't help, if you think otherwise fight me

Last edited by hi19hi19; 04-6-2018 at 02:38 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Newsflash FFR's UX is shit and that's why the game is dying, even if it were added to Steam some core features are such absolute garbage to use that being on Steam wouldn't help, if you think otherwise fight me
I thought it died because Flash on Win7/8/10 is god awful and stutters no matter what you do.

Least that's what did it for me.

AiR made it better (but it happens still, just rarely now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote