Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-5-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Having a ranking for certain "types" of playing

EDIT: not a ranking per-say but I mean more so a progression tracking system of sorts

I have an idea that might be hard to implement, I'm still trying to think of how I could implement it, but basically:

1. Somehow flag songs by what type of song they are, gameplay wise (e.g. a song like "Purple" would be a stream song, "Purple Drank" would be primarily burst, slight stream/js) etc.

2. Once songs are flagged, rate a player in different "disciplines" - e.g., you would have a rating in stamina, a division for speed, jumpstream, jacks etc..

The main problem is flagging songs, unfortunately the only way I could see to do it would be manually... My idea is to make a custom engine where when you finish a song, you can check boxes on the song and submit your review - I'm really not sure of a more effective way to rate songs, it's seems like it might be difficult to do it programatically too with how the FFR engine works :/ (maybe it might be possible, gotta look more into it perhaps).

It's probably not something that would be too worthwhile, but I think it would be cool to see how I am progressing in terms of different patterns, and what to practice/work on I'm not really interested in a highscores or leaderboard, just more so a progress tracker kind of thing. If anyone thinks this would be interesting/has ideas on how to implement/rate songs, pls respond.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 09-5-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Having a ranking for certain "types" of playing

This has been suggested for years, and I think that it needs to be a crowd-sourced project to work. 2-3 difficulty consultants scouring every file for what kind of patterns it has will take 5ever. I would love to see a rating system as well as OWA's pentagon meter idea implemented, but yea, it's hard to get off the ground.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 09-5-2016 at 11:56 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I really want to do it, yeah manually rating probably wouldn't be worth it, unless it was just after a song or something so its not just monotonous, I could definitely modify the R3 engine to do it quite easily, but I doubt people would use the engine because it wouldn't save scores :/

Doing it with a song parser is alot easier said than done too.. look at osumania, I think it just rates songs based on NPS or density or something lol.

I wouldn't be opposed to manually doing all the songs at my level though to be honest, maybe I'll make it a goal to FC all the 60-70 songs, surely there'd only be like 150-250 songs or so at that range.. All 2000+ songs though, yea right :/
Old 09-5-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Update: sorry to double post but I have some stuff to show, and want to get this to the recent posts..

So far, I've made a custom engine that, upon completing a song, prompts you to rate the song you just played based on a couple things:

Currently it 100% works, prompts you after every song to rate it and successfully writes + saves onto a server lol

Some issues/features I'll probably end up adding and fixing:

*Add KeyboardEvent listener so you can either navigate the menu/submit ratings without having to use mouse.
--> Thinking about it now, I think a good way to implement think could be that pressing your keybinds (A, S, K, L etc) causes it to cycle through the ratings, and you could press space to submit or something.

*Perhaps add a flag for current play session so that it doesn't prompt you to rate a song if you have already rated it.
--> simple implementation, it is matter of iterating through _gvars.songData[], an array that holds the unique songs played in the current play session to check if the song appears there.

*I want to put a checkbox on main song select page to set if you want to allow the logging popup to come up.
-->could make it so if the box to hide it is checked, add a new button to the song results screen to open the popup_menu instead of auto popping the box up.

- At this point the engine would be fully functional - the only issue however is that there is something in it that doesn't allow it to run at all in Flash Player 9.. I have looked a bit for what is is but can't figure it out. Personally, if I can't run it in flash 9 I won't bother playing with it, and if even I don't want to use it.. yea.. Priority is to get it to run in Flash Player 9. Personally I think its something to do with screenshots or fullscreen, might look into trying to remove these

That brings me to the discussion - would anyone use this to help gather data? If so, any features you'd want? Perhaps more ratings? I was contemplating adding stamina or something.

I'll probably eventually start adding random other things like having custom menu colors lol, I guess to add more of an incentive to use it (at the moment, it can't save scores, so I've changed it to just completely skip the login screen and play as a guest).

EDIT: random thing I thought of but I should probably save the score/accuracy

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 09-5-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Old 09-5-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
RenegadeLucien
FFR Veteran
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
maybe I'll make it a goal to FC all the 60-70 songs, surely there'd only be like 150-250 songs or so at that range..

I think it's more on the order of 500 songs in that range

RenegadeLucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-5-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

yep, did the search, that's 407 songs to FC

at least if you do those, you'd be done with 20% already!
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote