Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
xNiX
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to xNiX
Default What motivates you in FFR?

I've been breaking from FFR for quite awhile - mainly been just a pure SM player for the past 5 months or so. I'd play it here and there never really took it as seriously as I did when I was still Ruguru aka Angie. What pushes you to increase your stats? Is it friends? Is it just your own determination? Is it other player's scores? I'm having a hard time buckling down trying to get used to this engine. Suggestions?
xNiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: What motivates you in FFR?

Rivals.

Engaging with other members of the community through skype, or other IMs. Keeping a competitive, yet constructive environment keeps me inspired to continue playing FFR.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
Engaging with other members of the community through skype, or other IMs. Keeping a competitive, yet constructive environment keeps me inspired to continue playing FFR.
Working on this as a matter of fact. I don't really have any rivals in FFR considering most of my rivals originated from SM. I'd love to have a rival, but as of now, I probably wouldn't make it too far. I'm very inconsistent in FFR, and most of my FMO AAA's are 1 run plays I got when I was extremely bored.

If anybody wants to add me on Skype, I don't mind.

Skype - mmmihc
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Scubasteve0110
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Honestly i just think its ranks for me, i just really like it when people see my name often, and go "oh i know that person". Like call of duty, everybody wants people to know who they are by being the best they can be and moving up the ranks
Scubasteve0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
xNiX
FFR Player

Ranks is a start for me I guess. If you look at my ranking and everything it really bites. X_X
But I'm hoping within at least a few months, I can transfer my SM skill over to FFR. I'm tired of being out of the loop.
Also, I'm already known for bullshit already. So I kind of fucked that up already.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Scubasteve0110
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well i can tell your rather good at this game already, you already have otaku speedvibe oni-____- sigh..lol
Scubasteve0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Banned
FFR Veteran

mostly my own determination. it's just something i'm really into at the moment. yes there are times when i get bored of it, so i'll decide to wreck SM, and after a while i get bored of that, so I go back to fiffer. if i get bored of both, i have a PS3, i skype, watch anime, etc.

just having a long list of things to do helps i suppose, but it could also hinder now that i think about it..
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve0110 View Post
Well i can tell your rather good at this game already, you already have otaku speedvibe oni-____- sigh..lol
I think I'm decent. I'm way better at SM and I am at FFR. Hopefully I can change that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by top View Post
mostly my own determination. it's just something i'm really into at the moment. yes there are times when i get bored of it, so i'll decide to wreck SM, and after a while i get bored of that, so I go back to fiffer. if i get bored of both, i have a PS3, i skype, watch anime, etc.

just having a long list of things to do helps i suppose, but it could also hinder now that i think about it..
I have other things I generally do like write, play piano, or play some other games that I used to play a lot back when I was younger; with that being said, I do have a lot of things to keep me busy; however, my problem I suffer now is keeping my focus on FFR. Maybe if I had more friends that were really into this game. I don't know.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

I have many other things I'm into besides FFR, but besides it being a fun game, I also enjoy increasing my skill at it. Maybe someday I'll AAA every song and win a tournament in the highest division? Might be impossible, but it's a long-term goal to shoot for. :P

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
alphanish
Confidence is key
FFR Veteran

The tournaments really motivate me, it makes me feel like I'm in a huge race or somethin. I... kinda wanna play f-zero now...

alphanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

No motivation?
Create realistic or fun goal.
Congrats, you now have motivation.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

most of the time I'll have a fishing pole tied to hat with a dildo on the line. that's my motivation.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
No motivation?
Create realistic or fun goal.
Congrats, you now have motivation.
Trying this too. When you wiped your account the first time, what pushed you to reAAA everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedolad View Post
most of the time I'll have a fishing pole tied to hat with a dildo on the line. that's my motivation.
Okay.
Old 02-1-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Used to be subin, now nothing really :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Nothing.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I probably unconsciously enjoy suffering to be still around I changed key setup/keyboard etc. and my whole perspective of the game slightly changed. Any changes to how you play can easily makes the game a lot more interesting.

OWA, let's be rivals~

..oh he ran away..

Last edited by Hakulyte; 02-1-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
LongGone
-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Playing through every (public) song and trying to AAA as many as I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

What used to motivate me in FFR -- I liked seeing my AAA bar grow, so I only played things to AAA them. I didn't bother playing a lot of higher level songs because I knew that once I was better the AAA on them would come easily. FFR turned into something of an RPG where the goal was to get a full AAA bar. Boy how fucking wrong was I. I got into StepMania and couldn't turn back after the first day after experiencing the superior engine, marvelous timing, and different parameters of what constitutes a "good" score.

In general, I really dislike FFR. Often playing will consist of only trying to AAA/FC songs once you reach a higher level. This is fuel for rage, mindblocks, frustration, and little to no improvement. I took this way too far personally, but I assume it affects almost all players to a certain agree.

The last thing that ever stopped me from switching from FFR to SM was the comfort of knowing all my scores would be recorded and ranked. Once I got past this and moved on to SM, playing became more enjoyable, leisurely, and I noticed immense improvements in short periods of time.

Additionally, with SM comes the comfort of not being "forced" into playing bad/unejoyable charts because there is no "pressure" to get your bars up. If you don't like something, don't play it. The amount of songs available on SM is effectively infinite, where FFR only has around 1,500, many of which are too easy to be worth playing for higher level players (or the other way around). Then there is always the option of stepping your own files which adds a new appreciation to the game and rhythm gaming in general.

Lastly, I feel that SM has a much higher skill-cap than FFR, and an a more complete skillset that can be worked on. Speed seems to be capped very high with top-tier players showing their abilities to combo 400 bpm streams. Accuracy also seems almost infinite with J7 and potentially higher, allowing top MA players to become near-metronomic. Unfortunately, this doesn't exist on FFR due to the fact that as very high speeds are approached, frames become mashed together, and speed mods beyond 2.25x are almost entirely inadvisable since the viewing window for FFR notes is much shorter. This prevents being able to read very fast patterns, with most top players effectively using about C600, whereas SM players often go up to 900 with distant. The perfect frame on FFR is too big, and being fast on FFR tends to be accompanied with inaccuracy in general. Paradoxically, it can also be harder, or more "luck"-based to PA since frames get unevenly placed and flash is very susceptible to lag -- even the slightest bit can subtly ruin a score. Not criticizing this, as it's kind of necessary for recording and to catch cheaters, just mentioning it.

No longer motivated to play here, but it was really fun while it lasted.

Hopefully that's not too biased and/or off-topic.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
OWA, let's be rivals~
lol if you're serious, sure...honestly, being in direct competition with subin helped me bust through a plateau I'd been stuck at for three years or so, so I wouldn't mind having another semi-serious rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
syite
Dreifach-Eins# 372.9
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to syite

Impressing myself. Pushing to get better at harder and harder songs with crazier skill types thrown in them. I guess my motivation is that wall I hit every time I improve a little bit.
syite is offline   Reply With Quote