Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #81
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Quitting smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo_Saur_ View Post
Then so be it. It really does not bother me, I guess since pretty much all my family has un-healthy habits. It's either, obesity ( working on my part of that), drinking, smoking, drugs. I guess I've grown immune to the fact that what I am doing is killing me slowly? Though, much of my family has these problems, many of them live past the average expiration date.
Your opinion would be different if you could better understand the implications of those consequences.

Every time you smoke you develop thousands of mutations in your body, and every harmful mutation further damages your metabolism, increasing the rate of malfunction. You're not only subjecting yourself to every physical illness you could possibly imagine; you're also throwing away your youth. As your biological youth fades away you'll only grow exponentially more ill, until you die. Young adulthood is considered the biological prime for a reason - it's the standard we would all live by, if our bodies would properly maintain themselves for an infinitely sustained period.
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #82
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

I work at a drag strip, which I always have in the back of my mind someone is going to wreck and I just don't want that to happen. That's really the basis of my fear. On top of that, I have the authority to kick someone out, ban someone. I'm not ready for that type of authority. I know it doesn't sound stressful but it really is.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #83
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

That's probably where your higher level of stress is coming from. You're feeling bad about making decisions that people may find unfavorable.

If think about it this way - police officers are an authority that have to enforce the law. If you're caught doing something that's against state or federal law for example, they still have to take action even if they disagree with it. You cannot be blamed for doing your job - if someone is performing poorly, then they should expect to be kicked out in the first place.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #84
fido123
FFR Player

It's different when you're policing the same group of people every day though. People form opinions of you personally.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #85
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
It's different when you're policing the same group of people every day though. People form opinions of you personally.
This is what I am more concerned about. We have basically nothing but local racers, and a few big events with people coming from all over. I don't want to be looked at as, " a douche bag" all the time. I try and explain it's not my fault the head above me made the call. Most of the time, they take out their anger on me.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #86
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo_Saur_ View Post
This is what I am more concerned about. We have basically nothing but local racers, and a few big events with people coming from all over. I don't want to be looked at as, " a douche bag" all the time. I try and explain it's not my fault the head above me made the call. Most of the time, they take out their anger on me.
Get a different job? ): Sounds harsh.
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #87
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
Get a different job? ): Sounds harsh.
I can't get a job until I finish my obligations with the one I have now, which is like three more races. Two this weekend and one next weekend. When I return back to Memphis, I have a job lined up at Gamestop or Costco. Even then, I'm sure my worries wont leave the back of my head. I don't like leaving a place where everyone considers me an asshole. When I move back, I'm going to have to use my money wisely, so I may be FORCED to stop smoking. Rent, Car, Insurance, Phone, and food will all hinder my abilities go out and spend any money I really make. Right now I have 2 grand saved up from this summer, and I hope to save more.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #88
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

they taste and smell like ****. they make you look trashy. i would rather live in a concentration camp than be with a smoker.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #89
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

What kind of concentration camp?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #90
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

the kind where you inhale zyklon b instead of nicotine
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #91
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'd rather take a loaded 22 to my own brain than sit in a room breathing the same zyklon b you're so close minded.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #92
xealix
One Among The Fence
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xealix

Addiction is addiction, and honestly it really is not something that should be judged. If one smokes it may not be as much their choice as you think it is. I give props to any person who takes the time out of their life to really sit down and make the decision to really try and put down an addiction like smoking, or any kind of drug for that matter. Yes it may have been a dumb choice to start, but that is a choice that was made by the person at hand. I have seen my friends going through hell and back to try and quit some of these things and I am proud to see anyone who has the courage to stand up to an addiction.

As for you Emo_Saur_ I really hope you can get things sorted out. I really know what it is like to feel that way, the feeling like you are being looked down upon for your choices can really get to you. Whether it be by co-workers, friends, family, or even people you don't know. Maybe some time away will be just what you need.

I will use musical lyrics for my siggy.
"In the cradle we are helpless, but on our feet we are fatal" - The Dear Hunter
xealix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #93
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Even though it's completely disgusting and I have NEVER once in my entire life contemplated poisoning myself just to 'look cool', I always try to be tolerant around my friends who smoke and it's never really a problem.
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #94
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

atleast you're open to the idea that people do it, and while you may not enjoy it much you don't let it get in the way of friendships.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #95
xealix
One Among The Fence
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xealix

That really is the way that every person should be. It is not anyone's choice to make other then the one who is doing it. You can disagree, but really allowing it to change your relationship with that person is stupid. If they decide to quit or you can convince them too good but never drop their friendship over the habit. Unless of course it gets to be a problem that effects your life as well as theirs. Variables in there I suppose.

I will use musical lyrics for my siggy.
"In the cradle we are helpless, but on our feet we are fatal" - The Dear Hunter
xealix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #96
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Honestly I don't know if I could LIVE with a smoker. I could probably make it work but there would need to be ground rules and limitations. Just keep it on the patio and clean up your ****. I used to know three people who lived together and I would hang out at their place all the time. They were all heavy smokers and it was ****ing disgusting.
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #97
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I never smoke inside, I always smoke outside.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #98
wwwJ4mmYcouk
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well im on my 7th day now, still going strong! Thanks for all the advice, if i need to i will use some of it.

The reason i want to give up is obviously health reasons, mainly as i play football and i noticed i am 'puffed' out (excuse the pun) before a lot of my friends. I want to be back to feeling fit again.

Also money, at £6 every 2 days for 20 ciggarettes, id rather treat the girlfriend, or actually have money at the end of each month rather than scrape by!

Good luck if anyone else is trying to quit smoking.

Μήπως πραγματικά πνιγεί;
wwwJ4mmYcouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #99
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

Congratulations on trying to quit. At least you are recognizing that your addiction is a problem and you are taking the step to quit.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #100
Andrew Mitchell
Banned
FFR Veteran

internet addiction thats a tougher nut to crack.

Who here, could stay away from the computer for 1 month without thinking "i am away from my computer"

not many i reckon
Andrew Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote