Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Tier 2 IT support questions/ your experience

So, I have an interview coming up for a tier 2 IT support position. (Desktop support). I was going through an IT staffing company, and when they sent in my application for Tier 1 support, the company said I was overqualified. So with that being said, they bumped me up to tier 2 support. Not really sure how I'm over qualified since I only have 10 months experience in tier 1 help desk support, and a Bachelors degree with no certifications. But anyways, I'm a bit nervous.

With that being said, I'm calling out to anyone who is currently in this role, or has had experience with this type of roll.

I'm curious as to what type of questions would be asked in the interview for this role, as well as what common problems I may encounter in the work place. I know that I would be dealing with a lot of networking, as well as other tougher problems, but I'd like to hear people's personal experience.

As I've said, I only have experience in tier 1 support, which is super basic (ie. I have a virus, internet isn't working, keyboard isn't working, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #2
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Tier 2 IT support questions/ your experience

Wish I had more for you here. I'm currently in a tier 1 position supporting proprietary software, so we're only sorta in the same ballpark here. In my situation, tier 2 checks to see if tier 1 missed any known solutions. If there isn't already a solution or fix in place, they do a lot of checking to see if it's a known issue that's already on tier 3's radar, or if it's actually a new/unknown problem that needs to be escalated. Wikipedia's explanation of tier 2 support seems to mirror this fairly closely.

D'you know what operating system(s) you'd be dealing with? That might be a good place to start brushing up or researching.

Hope there's a better response than mine soon, as I'd be curious to hear about someone's experiences. Best of luck!

edit: Here's a blog post with a brief description. Given your field, I'm sure you're quite proficient in Googling stuff, but hey.
http://joehertvik.com/help-desk-defi...vel-3-support/

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 08-17-2015 at 12:17 AM..
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

no certs? interview will be a waste of time. gg.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Wish I had more for you here. I'm currently in a tier 1 position supporting proprietary software, so we're only sorta in the same ballpark here. In my situation, tier 2 checks to see if tier 1 missed any known solutions. If there isn't already a solution or fix in place, they do a lot of checking to see if it's a known issue that's already on tier 3's radar, or if it's actually a new/unknown problem that needs to be escalated. Wikipedia's explanation of tier 2 support seems to mirror this fairly closely.

D'you know what operating system(s) you'd be dealing with? That might be a good place to start brushing up or researching.

Hope there's a better response than mine soon, as I'd be curious to hear about someone's experiences. Best of luck!

edit: Here's a blog post with a brief description. Given your field, I'm sure you're quite proficient in Googling stuff, but hey.
http://joehertvik.com/help-desk-defi...vel-3-support/
I'm not sure which OS' they'd be using to be honest. Staffing companies don't give me much information to work with haha. Do you remember how your interview was in terms of what they asked you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
I know right? How in the fuck am I "overqualified" if I have no certs, and barely any experience? gg lol.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
I'm not sure which OS' they'd be using to be honest. Staffing companies don't give me much information to work with haha. Do you remember how your interview was in terms of what they asked you?
I got a few brief questions about my previous job, and then a "when can you start?" They were understaffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Disagreed. Every interview is an opportunity to get a feel for interview questions, which is half of what Superfreak is asking about here. Plus, if their decision were as predetermined as you say, then why would there be an interview at all?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #6
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I got a few brief questions about my previous job, and then a "when can you start?" They were understaffed.

Disagreed. Every interview is an opportunity to get a feel for interview questions, which is half of what Superfreak is asking about here. Plus, if their decision were as predetermined as you say, then why would there be an interview at all?
Damn lucky you lol. Well, I can only hope for the best I guess. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
Izzy
Snek

I've never heard of this "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" labels for this kind of work. Has this been around for awhile?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I've never heard of this "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" labels for this kind of work. Has this been around for awhile?
Yes, but it mainly depends on the company. If its a huge company, then more than likely you will have these tiers, but if its a small business, you may only have a team, or even one person handling all issues.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

My previous place most definitely did not have "tiers," haha. I took some stupidly basic support calls, and while in the same role, I also wrote up a script that would make widespread changes to one of the most commonly used tables in our database. Going from a teeny-tiny company to a fairly large one has been eye-opening, for sure.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Just wanted to say, I got the job. Sup badman.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Izzy
Snek

Woop.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran