Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #41
fireking550
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fireking550
Default Re: Damn School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
The problem is that I'm actually right, so good luck trying to win that one, Sisyphus
I see no proof that your opinion is anymore legitimate than mine except for the fact that it was what you have been taught by fellow people. Facts are only opinions people think they can prove, these "facts" often change usually once or twice a decade, very few things can be claimed as facts, this isn't one. So what proof do you have, that you are any less stupid than you say i am?

Big Time Boston Fan, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, beat that line-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
New mission: I will attempt to get "Meep" banned from my school, as well.
fireking550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

ya man the average fact changes like twice a year, so by being wrong about everything you can clearly see i'm just AhEaD oF tHe CuRvE
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #43
fireking550
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fireking550

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr61 View Post
ya man the average fact changes like twice a year, so by being wrong about everything you can clearly see i'm just AhEaD oF tHe CuRvE
Never said that, I never said I was right, its my opinion, and i don't feel like arguing what is right and wrong. What i said is what makes his any more legitimate than mine?

Big Time Boston Fan, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, beat that line-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
New mission: I will attempt to get "Meep" banned from my school, as well.
fireking550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #44
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Because you're wrong
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #45
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

Teachers get upset when you're smarter than them. This is the outcome.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #46
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

lots of pathological liars itt
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The fact that TD isn't posting his essay or at least PMing it is suspicious. Are you sure you wrote your own essay, or are you just trying to figure out a way to get out of plagiarism?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #48
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

I wouldn't recommend posting the essay here or anywhere on the Internet on the chance it could be indexed by Google, picked up and added to one of these anti-plagiarism sites, and then, later on, a school official could find the match as "proof" it was plagiarized (despite you being the author).

Fireking, there is a difference between facts, opinions, and beliefs. Facts never change. If something is genuinely a fact, it remains consistent, constant, and correct, always true. Opinions may be truthful or they may not. Generally speaking, opinions have little correlation with facts. Beliefs are similar to opinions but are often treated as facts despite the chance they may not be truths. Many people confuse facts with beliefs. They are not the same thing.

Mr. Rubix, you're a pretty smart guy. IMO, the rhetoric of only the retarded disagreeing with you was a bit haughty. Let your words or actions speak on their own. There's no need to be arrogant is there?

TD, though you are in the right (presumably, unless you've just been lying to us all), sometimes you need to pick your battles carefully, tactfully, and strategically. You will have to decide if it is better to continue to fight this or if it will be better to concede to the new assignment. You must consider what will be long-term beneficial.
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #49
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
I wouldn't recommend posting the essay here or anywhere on the Internet on the chance it could be indexed by Google, picked up and added to one of these anti-plagiarism sites, and then, later on, a school official could find the match as "proof" it was plagiarized (despite you being the author).

Fireking, there is a difference between facts, opinions, and beliefs. Facts never change. If something is genuinely a fact, it remains consistent, constant, and correct, always true. Opinions may be truthful or they may not. Generally speaking, opinions have little correlation with facts. Beliefs are similar to opinions but are often treated as facts despite the chance they may not be truths. Many people confuse facts with beliefs. They are not the same thing.

Mr. Rubix, you're a pretty smart guy. IMO, the rhetoric of only the retarded disagreeing with you was a bit haughty. Let your words or actions speak on their own. There's no need to be arrogant is there?

TD, though you are in the right (presumably, unless you've just been lying to us all), sometimes you need to pick your battles carefully, tactfully, and strategically. You will have to decide if it is better to continue to fight this or if it will be better to concede to the new assignment. You must consider what will be long-term beneficial.
1. Who cares if they find the essay on the site? He could easily log in and prove it's his own account.

2. I do let such words/arguments speak for themselves, but on this forum, it's enjoyable to me because I can still be correct and, at the same time, flame the hell out of someone without it being ad hominem (that is to say, still addressing the argument relevantly). It's a surefire way to see how someone detracts from an argument they aren't really confident in themselves.

3. This is true, but if I were in his position, I would rather piss pine trees than to be punished for turning in my own work. If I work hard on something, I'll be damned if a teacher thinks it's too advanced for it to be my own. In this case, TD went from failing a course to supposedly pulling an A+ quality paper out of his ass. An analogy to FFR here might be if, say, someone had trouble FC'ing CIA Rave but was suddenly able to AAA FGO's. In such a scenario, odds are someone else played the file for him (or he cheated), but my point is that the paper was apparently way above what TD was normally capable of. This is why I am asking to see the paper (and have done so many times ITT), which I doubt will ever happen. I am suspecting that he may have plagiarized and is just trying to find an out -- otherwise he would have posted it here.

Last edited by MrRubix; 12-18-2009 at 01:25 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #50
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

It's not so much a problem of a school official finding it posted here as it is a school official using one of these anti-plagiarism sites, and the site used coming back saying the work was plagiarized, where it comes to this conclusion because it found it via, say, google or similar. The danger is that the school officials will likely consider any such anti-plagiarism site to be perfect and flawless, and the final word, and posting anything online allows the possibility for it to be indexed and later used for comparison.

He could PM the essay but runs the risk of whoever he PMs it to posting it somewhere indexable. There is a trust issue there.

It is also true he could be lying and he could have plagiarized. Unless I have substantial evidence of this, I will give him benefit of the doubt.

To answer your third point, there is such a thing as an underachiever. This would be someone who frequently performs well below his/her ability. This isn't so uncommon as you may think and there are a variety of reasons why someone may underachieve (stress, depression, lack of ambition, etc...). They may feel the effort isn't worth the results and thus not try. Or they may otherwise be discouraged. Or lazy. Or have no interest. Or many possibilities.
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #51
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Sure, there's always the possibility. Regardless, I just think that if the work is original, show beyond a reasonable doubt. Hell, have a discussion with the teacher about the paper's content. If it was truly original work, then it should be easy to articulate the relevant ideas and points.

A teacher who just rejects someone's work for being "too good" is taking a pretty big risk otherwise.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #52
TD_Diarrhea
FFR Player

When I get back from school I'll send you the paper rubix
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #53
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

after reading through this thread and having the assistant principal flat out tell you that it wasn't your work because your not an A+ student, i would hold your ground no matter what. just as rubix is saying, if you know your wrote the essay, properly citing your sources and whatnot, there is no excuse for what the assistant principal is doing. and you should not cave into that authority when you know you are not at fault. stand strong. ffr is behind you on this one. and im curious as too what rubix says after he reads the paper. hope things work out for the best man

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote