Old 02-1-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Twiznitch
FFR Player

Default Hitting a Ceiling

Hi! I've been playing FFR off and on since I was in middle school, but in the past year I started playing more seriously. My issue is that I seem to have hit a ceiling. I always assumed I was mediocre since I could do up to the 40s-50s difficulties while still hitting atleast 75% of the notes. Although after placing in division 1 in the current/last tournament, and placing low in the division both times, I've realized that I'm not awesome at FFR. Which is fine, but no matter how much I practice, it seems like I'm no longer improving. I've felt this way for a few months, and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue early on? Are there better ways to go about improving/playing FFR? I've always played the game as is without changing any settings.
Twiznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Fallaise
FFR Player

Default Re: Hitting a Ceiling

Just raise the roof ��
Fallaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Happeh
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Happeh

just keep playing songs you haven't played before! EVEN THE ONES THAT ARE WAY HIGHER THAN WHAT YOU USUALLY PLAY!
Old 02-1-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Antori
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

people usually use scroll speeds in 2.5-3 range and set the frames to 55, those tricks help abit, play around with the offset to see what works for you, play on the downloadable version cause it runs smoother than browser, if you want to train your accuracy play easy songs and aim to get AAAs and if you want to train speed play super dense songs or play on rates, keep playing everyday until you get a skillboost and remember to have fun

Antori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

2.5-3 scroll speed definitely needs to be worked up to I think. If you're on 1.0 now, try 1.5 and get used to it before you go higher.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I know I played at 1.8 back in the day when I was a D3 index player, so 2.5 and over isn't as important. I feel like you just need to mix up the easy and hard stuff. Play sessions where you try to get AAAs and then others where you just try to go for an FC.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
Fallaise
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik View Post
I know I played at 1.8 back in the day when I was a D3 index player, so 2.5 and over isn't as important. I feel like you just need to mix up the easy and hard stuff. Play sessions where you try to get AAAs and then others where you just try to go for an FC.
I don't know why people think speedmod factors peoples abilities to play, I still use 1.8. Just find a comfortable speed that suits you as an individual and do your best.
Fallaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Twiznitch
FFR Player

I normally only play songs that are too hard for me over and over until I get them; then move to a harder one. Also are the default button mappings a problem? I've tried changing them, and that will be a big learning curve for me, but if it helps I can try to learn other bindings. My main issue isn't that my hands aren't fast enough, but my brain has issues processing the notes coming at me after a certain speed. I'll try upping the speed like a few of you mentioned. Thanks everyone, and if there's anything else you think might help let me know!

Last edited by Twiznitch; 02-1-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Old 02-1-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
qrrbrbirbel
FFR Veteran
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I like treating it like any workout regimen. Start by stretching with easier songs, then go up to songs that are slightly uncomfortable, go back down to easier (but not as easy as your warm up), and finally back up to hard songs.

Familiarizing yourself with the patterns in http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=115282
Lots of good material for growing in there.

Also using song rates are good for slowing down songs you're having trouble with (as well as speeding up favorites that become boring with your growing skill)

And of course the most important part is not giving up.
Old 02-7-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
Twiznitch
FFR Player

Just wanted to update everyone, and say a big thanks! I can't explain it, but I upped the scroll speed to 2.0, and I immediately started playing better. Even songs I was having issues beating my scores on in 1.5 are immediately jumping in score on my first try now. I'll work up to 2.5, but I'm definitely getting better now.

Thanks again everyone!