Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default Do you have a religion?

DO NOT FLAME RELIGIONS HERE DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT

I used to think that the more "intellectual" someone was, they are more likely to not be of faith; however, some of the smartest people I know are religious and have some pretty cool reasons for why they are. So yeah, wanted to know if y'all are religious or not, and why?

I don't. I've tried a couple times, but I don't think religion's for me. I think religious people are pretty kickass though.. well.. the ones that aren't pricks, but there's non-religious pricks too.

DO NOT FLAME RELIGIONS HERE DO NOT DO NOT

promoting forum activity oooweeee
night yall
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Old 11-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Technically not, my mind tends to support a blend of Zoroastrianism and Buddhism. But I'm not keen on calling it God.

Oh you asked why.. Well, fables aside; I can't decisively reject them. Zarathustra had the right idea, Gautama was able to filter the crap people were struggling to grasp and make things a little more accessible. It's not about worship or afterlife, trying to grasp comfort to satiate my own mortality. No, it's about perfection and happiness. Understanding and improving. Embracing that which guides us on our journey while identifying, reflecting and rejecting any construct that can hinder our sense of peace. The path was understanding who I am, and what it takes to let myself grow. Just be real, be true, be you. Always give yourself as much information as possible, you deserve the right to make an informed decision as much as any. Most importantly take care of yourself, you are the most important thing you have. Nothing holds true value outside of the value you see in it so keep on being you, no one else knows how to do it for you.

Last edited by Moria; 11-30-2017 at 01:46 AM..
Old 11-30-2017, 01:32 AM   #3
the sun fan
FFR Player

No, but honestly, I kind of miss it sometimes.

In a way I wish I was religious, but not to the extent that I would make that kind of change, but rather in the way that I think I miss being younger.

On a related note, seeing that quote of myself in Moria's signature clashes quite well with what I actually fuckin think so that's a good laugh at 1:30.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

Thankfully not.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I’m still claiming to be a Christian but I feel like that it just helps me cope with reality. It’s hard to explain but when I started to really become s believer, I noticed that it made life have more meaning and I didn’t feel so lost.

I am writing this post while drinking so im having s tough time elaborating.
AND watch anime.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 AM   #6
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

I am an open minded person but my religious preference is occultism, fanaticism, and zealotry
Old 11-30-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
I am an open minded person but my religious preference is occultism, fanaticism, and zealotry

An open minded zealot? Are you sure?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 AM   #8
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Haha, yes. I have long had a keen reverence for life but sometimes can be quite fanatical with religion.

I often pray with others in churches, pretty chill.
But my personal prayers are occultic and sort of druidic.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:11 AM   #9
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I don't have a religion but I have a "If god exists, he doesn't care" stance

Proud member of Team No
Old 11-30-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

No you don't understand, the whole quote was an oxymoron. A zealot is single-minded and obsessively inflexible when it comes to the faith they've placed in blindly following others. Someone with strict standards and little tolerance for contrary ideas or opinions. A fanatic. So uh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
ftfy

Last edited by Moria; 11-30-2017 at 03:14 AM..
Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 AM   #11
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Raised a Southern Baptist, much more of a Taoist at this point; still identify as a Christian although I'm by nature a pretty shitty person so I'd be the worst example you could find of one.

The Taoist philosophy comes from 15+ years of Tai Chi and while I must confess I was indoctrinated into Christianity I fully believe that there's really no drawback to living by the core principles Jesus outlined --- regardless if your feelings on who he is / might have actually been. It's all pretty sound advice, plus the idea that the universe is total random explosions never sat right with me.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 AM   #12
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

I know Moria, that's why I typed 'haha'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moria View Post
An open minded zealot? Are you sure?
That was funny. Yea, I guess I'm not really a zealot but when all's said and done I am and have been a very religious person for quite some time.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 AM   #13
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Not a religion, but my own playful interpretation.

Though I refer to organisms, for this metaphor I'll just use animals.

Organisms are made of cells, individually not very significant but still remarkable.
They can form clusters and work towards a common goal to become a liver, a brain, veins, blood, the like.
This collection of collaborative clusters form the organism.

Life on earth is made of organisms, individually not very significant but still remarkable.
They can form clusters and work towards a common goal to become health care institutions (liver), scientific communities (brain), infrastructure engineers/road workers (veins), transporter/delivery services (blood), the like.

With that my debatable religion is my belief that life on earth is a living organism.
Through it I can easily get a perspective on what the point of my being is and my goals are by comparing me to a cell in my own body.
In a way it makes me feel at ease and can help me focus.

edit: aka Gaia I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE

Last edited by SKG_Scintill; 11-30-2017 at 04:42 AM..
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Religion usually tries to address the existence of a god, although I propose another option: the existence of a god is not relevant to the problems we face today on this planet (i.e. apatheism).

The only consistent part of religion I've seen is inconsistency. Which god is the real one? (So much violence has happened over this question, it's ridiculous) Why are there so many religions? Why is God personified when in fact we'd be talking about an entity so powerful to create an entire universe that has no reason to exhibit any sort of human characteristics? What basis do assumptions of God have to our current problems today?

What does remain consistent is findings from the scientific method. It's mostly common sense if you think about it: an observation is made, you make a hypothesis and test it. Then you support or refute the hypothesis.

Advancements in quality of life and technology were not handed down by some God. Sure, this hypothetical God might have defined the rules of the universe (such as gravity) but does not propose solutions to our current problems.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Art
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Religion usually tries to address the existence of a god, although I propose another option: the existence of a god is not relevant to the problems we face today on this planet (i.e. apatheism).

The only consistent part of religion I've seen is inconsistency. Which god is the real one? (So much violence has happened over this question, it's ridiculous) Why are there so many religions? Why is God personified when in fact we'd be talking about an entity so powerful to create an entire universe that has no reason to exhibit any sort of human characteristics? What basis do assumptions of God have to our current problems today?

What does remain consistent is findings from the scientific method. It's mostly common sense if you think about it: an observation is made, you make a hypothesis and test it. Then you support or refute the hypothesis.

Advancements in quality of life and technology were not handed down by some God. Sure, this hypothetical God might have defined the rules of the universe (such as gravity) but does not propose solutions to our current problems.
I agree with this a lot, but my religious friends propose that while we currently face problems on Earth, in the end, these problems are inconsequential and that focusing on reality precludes many people from seeking unity with God. So, instead of thinking about things the way you do, their thought process is, "Focusing on problems on Earth are vain. Our real life objective is to come back to God."

edit: ight still goin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Raised a Southern Baptist, much more of a Taoist at this point; still identify as a Christian although I'm by nature a pretty shitty person so I'd be the worst example you could find of one.
People who call themselves shitty people tend to not actually be shitty people, in my experience. The real shitty people don't notice or acknowledge their shittiness, lol.

How did you get into Taoism, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I’m still claiming to be a Christian but I feel like that it just helps me cope with reality. It’s hard to explain but when I started to really become s believer, I noticed that it made life have more meaning and I didn’t feel so lost.

I am writing this post while drinking so im having s tough time elaborating.
I related to this a lot two years ago and sought religion to find meaning in my life. Now, my life is driven a lot more by goals, and that has made my life seem meaningful enough for now.
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 11-30-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #17
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

No, lack of evidence
Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

No.

I was also expecting this to be a Shodzzy thread.

Will read thread and elaborate if needed.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 11-30-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #19
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

shodzzy's a cool dude
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 11-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Yes, Christian.
I'm more comfortable talking about faith and personal matters in general over PM/Facebook rather than on this public forum, though.