Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology

Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Default Laptop restarting/crashing while gaming only??

So My ASUS laptop overheats a bit, but recently when I am playing League of Legends it will start to freeze and then it restarts on me, but it's not a normal restart It shuts off I can't start it back up by myself, and about a minute later it will restart by its self.

I am thinking the processor or something is overheating? I have it on minimum graphics etc.

Is there any fix for this? I ended up selling my new asus so I only have this old crappy one.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
emerald000
the Mathemagician~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to emerald000
Default Re: Laptop restarting/crashing while gaming only??

This is most likely due to overheating. My laptop was doing the same thing a year ago, and since I did this, it works perfectly.

First, you can try opening the laptop and removing all the dust inside it. You should use the canned air spray they sell at most computer shops; it works great. You can find the maintenance guide for your laptop online that gives all the details on how to open it. It's best when you have a second computer nearby to have the information at hand.

If this doesn't work and/or you are feeling adventurous, you can change the thermal paste of your processor (and graphic card chip if you have one). You can get a small tube of paste for a couple of dollars. First, remove all traces of the old paste with a cotton-swap dipped in rubbing alcohol. If it isn't enough, you can try to gently scrub with a credit card. Then, put a small pea of thermal paste and spread it somewhat evenly with a credit card. Put the processor back on it and swoosh it around on the paste, to make sure the paste takes the shape of the processor. You can then reattach it and pray you didn't make a mistake. There are a lot of videos showing how to do it floating around the Internet if you need.

And if you have any questions, I'll be pleased to answer.
emerald000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Could I blow through the fan? I don't feel safe taking it apart... Lol. Or I'll just get it cleaned by someone who knows something about computers.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
emerald000
the Mathemagician~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to emerald000

That won't really be effective. It is actually quite easy. There should be a guide on how to dismantle it step by step available for your specific laptop. A couple of screws (well a lot) on the bottom and the plastic case should come off. Then you can access pretty much everything. I was worried too the first time I did it, but it is actually much more simple than it looks. If you have ever opened an old VCR or something like that, it is pretty much the same, but with instructions included.
emerald000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

Pretty much what emerald said. You will not believe how much crap your fans pick up after a couple months of use.

Also, pulling a laptop apart isn't too much of a challenge; service manuals exist for a reason. Just be thorough and you'll be fine.
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote