Old 02-4-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
SubaruPoptart
da kyo~
Number Judger
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Wiki StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SubaruPoptart
Default Refresh Rate + FPS Conversions?

I've been complaining about this on the discord for a bit and figured I'd make a thread tbh.

So what I'm wanting to know is, is there like a concrete way to determine what FPS I would use to mimic the same settings as I would on a different monitor with a different refresh rate? I currently have a 60 hz monitor that's quite a bit bigger than the monitor I always used before I got a new computer. That older monitor was 75 hz so this one's a bit "slower" than the other one, if that's how that works.

My settings were always 55 FPS 2.55x scroll speed on the 75 hz monitor and I'm wanting to know if there's a way to figure out what settings I'd use to recreate that same feel on a 60hz monitor. I've always been playing 0.0.8+1.3.0 if that also helps.

At the same time though it might be because I'm using Windows 10 now instead of Windows 7 like I always was. If that's the case that kinda sucks but I'll get used to it I guess :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrrbrbirbel View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamerai View Post
damnit subaru
Quote:
if cocoa flips town, n2 vig should shoot zenith obv
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
Okay, I'm 7 pages deep and this is a shitfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
wolf gurls exist awooo owo ¿furries? owo awoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
My beak is bigger than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Oh God it's Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
ㅤㅤ

SubaruPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
mangeHD
FFR Player

Default Re: Refresh Rate + FPS Conversions?

The main reason you have a different feeling on the 75HZ monitor compared to the 60HZ is simply the fact that you are pushing less frames than the monitor is able to display per second and hense you are actually experiencing your monitor just not displaying a new frame when it is able to do so.

this can also cause major input lag depending on how bad the desync is, when running the game at 55FPS you are looking at five refreshes the monitor simply can't make since your game doesn't have a new frame to display, on the 75hz this is instead fifteen refreshes.

also since the monitor generally isn't synced up to your hardware you should generally be aiming for the highest FPS you can consistently get stable because that way your system is able to pick the most recent frame to display which makes for less input lag, you could also use vsync but that introduces other issues since it basically makes your system wait for your monitor to refresh and that also introduces lag.

if you really want to go ahead with getting that feeling then set your FPS lock to 45FPS, i wouldn't recommend doing so but feel free to do that.

hope that helps!
mangeHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
SubaruPoptart
da kyo~
Number Judger
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Wiki StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SubaruPoptart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeHD View Post
The main reason you have a different feeling on the 75HZ monitor compared to the 60HZ is simply the fact that you are pushing less frames than the monitor is able to display per second and hense you are actually experiencing your monitor just not displaying a new frame when it is able to do so.

this can also cause major input lag depending on how bad the desync is, when running the game at 55FPS you are looking at five refreshes the monitor simply can't make since your game doesn't have a new frame to display, on the 75hz this is instead fifteen refreshes.

also since the monitor generally isn't synced up to your hardware you should generally be aiming for the highest FPS you can consistently get stable because that way your system is able to pick the most recent frame to display which makes for less input lag, you could also use vsync but that introduces other issues since it basically makes your system wait for your monitor to refresh and that also introduces lag.

if you really want to go ahead with getting that feeling then set your FPS lock to 45FPS, i wouldn't recommend doing so but feel free to do that.

hope that helps!
hm... so what I'm gathering from this is that if I was playing at 55 FPS with 75 hz, there's 20 more refreshes so that's why it ran the way it did, and since I have 45 FPS with 60 hz now, there's still only 15? So how I'm interpreting this is 40 FPS might be better for me right?

Cuz I've completely ruled VSync out as a whole because I know for a fact coke lines run rampant with VSync so that's never happening unless I'm hella desperate. 45 FPS seems to work SOMEWHAT but there's still some issues. I'mma try adjusting to 40 and see how that works real quick.

EDIT: Yeah that worked holy shit- thanks for the explanation there. I don't think I understood it 100% correctly but it definitely restored the same feeling I had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrrbrbirbel View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Quote:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamerai View Post
damnit subaru
Quote:
if cocoa flips town, n2 vig should shoot zenith obv
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
Okay, I'm 7 pages deep and this is a shitfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
wolf gurls exist awooo owo ¿furries? owo awoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
My beak is bigger than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Oh God it's Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
ㅤㅤ

Last edited by SubaruPoptart; 02-4-2021 at 09:24 PM..
SubaruPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2021, 09:29 PM   #4
mangeHD
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruPoptart View Post
hm... so what I'm gathering from this is that if I was playing at 55 FPS with 75 hz, there's 20 more refreshes so that's why it ran the way it did, and since I have 45 FPS with 60 hz now, there's still only 15? So how I'm interpreting this is 40 FPS might be better for me right?

Cuz I've completely ruled VSync out as a whole because I know for a fact coke lines run rampant with VSync so that's never happening unless I'm hella desperate. 45 FPS seems to work SOMEWHAT but there's still some issues. I'mma try adjusting to 40 and see how that works real quick.

EDIT: Yeah that worked holy shit- thanks for the explanation there. I don't think I understood it 100% correctly but it definitely restored the same feeling I had before.
you understood it basically totally correctly yes, pretty much what you are feeling is lag that derives from there not being enough frames for it to display a new frame every single time the monitor refreshes so basically you just have insanely high frame times, how you can play like that is beyond me but i commend you for it, with the amount of lag that should cause you are basically stepping one judge up in difficulty
mangeHD is offline   Reply With Quote