Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Super Smash Bros. (3DS and Wii U)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
You most definitely probably only reached a certain level of skill in melee to say that brawl is an equal for you. One who understands the sheer technicality and mastery over spacing to punish an opponent worthy of mention would never say that. In truth, very few people are ever qualified enough to make comparative statements between smash bros games in general in my experience. Basically, everyone thinks they're good at super smash bros. lol.

Brawl isn't a *horrible* game, it's just not melee. If you're as good at melee as I am at least, then you should be able to find that one niche character that enables you to pick apart an undeserving noob preying upon the nerfed mechanics giving the illusion that he has some sort of skill, because brawl is very good at doing that which in result sort of frustrates the smash bros. players who truly learned with grueling effort the technicalities of smash through melee. The thrill of a fast paced, neutral stage fox vs falco, or grueling yet chess like spacing game of a peach vs jigglypuff will never be known in brawl or the original. Brawl and the original however can be fun when you want to stroke your ego at a random party of those claiming skill.

Like brawl, this game isn't going to be melee at all. Regardless, it's always fun to stroke the ego when its a video game you're good at. I can bet that the online network will be virtually lagless in comparison to brawls failure of a network in order to win back members of the community and receive new ones. I was negative about this game at first, but I don't want to underestimate what this game might have in store for us. I'm sure the spectrum was heard regarding what people had to say about brawl. I can only hope enough was done in response to the diehard communities feelings, to create a new game altogether that makes talking trash in smash worth something again.
I may or may not be as leveled as you in melee but I'm pretty sure we all know that most of Nintendo's multiplayer games are meant for, dare I say, fun ; for parties and shxt. Who knows if they changed their mind for this upcoming SSB, but in all opinion it's most likely going to be similar to brawl.
Also, if I wanted to "...pick apart an undeserving noob..." I'd go to capcom for that. But, that's just my preference.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Fml why does Mega Man have to be in the new Super Smash Bros. D:
That's just taunting me to buy it ;_; (I don't even have a Wii U though)
Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

The biggest problem is that Nintendo never intended Smash to be a competitive fighter. It's meant to be a party-fighting game, so in the end they'll always keep the "balance" in mind with item usage, stages, Smash balls, and many other factors in part of the main game.

In all honesty, they'll keep on adding some random factors to top off tripping and items and etc. Sure it's not good for competitive at all, but it's great for casual play since it not only gives everyone equal chance, but also gives everyone fun with a different match every game for hilarity and fun.

tl;dr, Nintendo will always make casual games and disregard the competitive scene entirely. Deal with it.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Few things are more satisfying than walking in a room full of confident smash bros. players, and dancing around them like they've never played the game. On the same note, I love getting 2-3 stocked at a tournament by a regional pro who showed me what I need to incorporate and account for in my game. I'm not quite sure what you mean mentioning capcom unless you're alluding to the popular argument that melee in general shouldn't even be considered a competitive game like so many street fighter players like to often say. Which is retarded.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticklydude View Post
wii fit girl trailer:
...what
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean mentioning capcom unless you're alluding to the popular argument that melee in general shouldn't even be considered a competitive game like so many street fighter players like to often say. Which is retarded.
Once again, it's just a matter of preference niggo'

also v
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
The biggest problem is that Nintendo never intended Smash to be a competitive fighter. It's meant to be a party-fighting game, so in the end they'll always keep the "balance" in mind with item usage, stages, Smash balls, and many other factors in part of the main game.

In all honesty, they'll keep on adding some random factors to top off tripping and items and etc. Sure it's not good for competitive at all, but it's great for casual play since it not only gives everyone equal chance, but also gives everyone fun with a different match every game for hilarity and fun.

tl;dr, Nintendo will always make casual games and disregard the competitive scene entirely. Deal with it.
exactly
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Well the only thing I have to say in regards to people liking/disliking Brawl vs Melee is that Nintendo just wanted to expand its audience. In doing so, that detracts a bit from hardcore gamers, but honestly it's a smart marketing move, considering that "casual" gaming is what Nintendo excels at the best.

Also, it's incorrect to say that Nintendo "will always make casual games and disregard the competitive scene entirely". There are many hardcore Nintendo games out there; it's just not worth the sacrifice to focus solely on that select audience towards the most popular series.

Last edited by bmah; 06-11-2013 at 03:29 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You most definitely probably only reached a certain level of skill in melee to say that brawl is an equal for you. One who understands the sheer technicality and mastery over spacing to punish an opponent worthy of mention would never say that. In truth, very few people are ever qualified enough to make comparative statements between smash bros games in general in my experience. Basically, everyone thinks they're good at super smash bros. lol.
Well put!

Can someone get good at brawl? Absolutely, but it's NOWHERE near as technical as melee was. At my peak I placed 2nd in a statewide tourney and faced many tough players, all of which knew how to use their main extremely well, not just run around randomly smashing the C-Stick lol, so I know what it takes to master that game. I would honestly say that out of all the kids that thought they were good and challenged me back when it was popular, 90% either got 4 or 5 stocked and were terrible because they only knew how to play it as a party game where competition is typically very low and they probably won out of luck lol.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbmchamp View Post
Well put!

Can someone get good at brawl? Absolutely, but it's NOWHERE near as technical as melee was. At my peak I placed 2nd in a statewide tourney and faced many tough players, all of which knew how to use their main extremely well, not just run around randomly smashing the C-Stick lol, so I know what it takes to master that game. I would honestly say that out of all the kids that thought they were good and challenged me back when it was popular, 90% either got 4 or 5 stocked and were terrible because they only knew how to play it as a party game where competition is typically very low and they probably won out of luck lol.
which state

i was pretty active back in 2007-8 in the state tournament scene in the westchester ny area but there was a pretty serious skill gap between pc/cort and the 4-6th place players where i usually sat at

when i went to uni i played a lot against cactuar/scar/king and my god cactuar was something else

man those were some good times

also lol comparing brawl to melee is like comparing hungry hungry hippos to chess
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Few things are more satisfying than walking in a room full of confident smash bros. players, and dancing around them like they've never played the game. On the same note, I love getting 2-3 stocked at a tournament by a regional pro who showed me what I need to incorporate and account for in my game. I'm not quite sure what you mean mentioning capcom unless you're alluding to the popular argument that melee in general shouldn't even be considered a competitive game like so many street fighter players like to often say. Which is retarded.
it shouldn't be

comparing smash to mvc in terms of competitivity (is that even a word) is like comparing the end-game raiding of wizard 101 and WoW/Rift

smash was always geared as a party game and getting mad that it's following that trend instead of gearing away from it is naive
Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
which state

i was pretty active back in 2007-8 in the state tournament scene in the westchester ny area but there was a pretty serious skill gap between pc/cort and the 4-6th place players where i usually sat at

when i went to uni i played a lot against cactuar/scar/king and my god cactuar was something else

man those were some good times

also lol comparing brawl to melee is like comparing hungry hungry hippos to chess
It was in Buffalo, NY back in 2006, somewhere near the UB campus. basically 2006-2008 was my peak and I never really got any better because I had no one that could provide a challenge lol. But yeah those days were great!
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticklydude View Post
wii fit girl trailer:

edit:developer commentary gameplay:
That is just brilliant. Taking the most bland, useless, forgettable character ever and making it badass. Do want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #33
QueenChrysalis
Queen of Flukes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to QueenChrysalis

Hype
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

I was pretty impressed what I saw all those Snakes sliding across the map shooting mortars at my first legit Brawl tournament haha. Never had anyone to play with or theorycraft with so I would just practice by myself for a few hours a day. Meta/Diddy used correctly is also hella scary.

Most "good" Brawl tourneys nowadays have modded Wii for on tripping at the very least, which makes it less about ****** luck lol.

Anyways pretty hype for this game, I don't think it could be bad no matter what they do~

4th Official Tournament - D1 34th Place
5th Official Tournament - D3 Last Place
8th Official Tournament - D3 3rd Place
TSR's Summer Golf Tournament - D4 2nd Place
FFR Multiplayer Tournament 2013 - D5 12th Place
YoshL's Tournament of Mediocrity - 2nd Place
TSR's Rates Tournament - Standard 2nd Place
DRG's Team Tournament - Intermediate 1st Place
9th Official FFR Tournament - D5 35th Place

HalfStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
loop123456
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to loop123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
I hope they don't take out Sonic for Megaman, as cool as he is.

He was my bro alongside Luigi :V
Sonic was OP as fuck is what he was

loop123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #36
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop123456 View Post
Sonic was OP as fuck is what he was

As debatable as tier lists are, Sonic is still pretty shitty lol

4th Official Tournament - D1 34th Place
5th Official Tournament - D3 Last Place
8th Official Tournament - D3 3rd Place
TSR's Summer Golf Tournament - D4 2nd Place
FFR Multiplayer Tournament 2013 - D5 12th Place
YoshL's Tournament of Mediocrity - 2nd Place
TSR's Rates Tournament - Standard 2nd Place
DRG's Team Tournament - Intermediate 1st Place
9th Official FFR Tournament - D5 35th Place

HalfStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #37
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

I wish people would just stop arguing about how good melee and brawl were and just move on to talking about the new game. Its game mechanics look similar to brawl but a lot less slow and with a good bit less lag time after moves, which means you don't have to rely so much on your safe moves and can actually use more moves in more situations. It looks to be shaping up to be a very good and fun game, and all the newcomers they've shown so far will be very unique an interesting, especially Megaman.

The game will be highly hyped using the Smash Bros. Dojo like they did in brawl. Just go to smashbros.com and clear your cache if you still see the brawl version of it.

Also, from the info. so far, I have thrown together what I think the roster is likely to be.

Brawl's Roster
-Lucario and Snake
+Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Ridley, Mewtwo, Some new 3rd party character, and Some Fire Emblem newcomer.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #38
DragonIIDX
Not dragon, but dinosaur
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DragonIIDX

I would like to see Ridley too but my hopes aren't too high for him being playable. If he does, he would probably be scaled down... a lot but it would be cool if he'd be playable. If not him, then some of the hunters from MPH or MP3: Corruption maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasko1000 View Post
banned for having an affair with peach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
d-guy and d-guy skype pals 10/15/13
Simfiles Updated 11/30/13
DragonIIDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I have a feeling it'll feel a lot more like Brawl than anything else
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Yet again, hoping for Vyse from SoA as a new character.