rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #22
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Opinion on 255 BPM 32nds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZtar View Post
I'm not insinuating that the high difficulty by itself is grounds for likely rejection, I agree that the top-end players need access to more files in the 110+ range. The reasons we don't have more are:
1. Few songs are suitable for files that difficult
2. The exclusivity of the process most of the hardest files have gone through to get in game. (This is a whole other can of worms that I'd rather not open on a public forum).
Most great players are now on stepmania (etterna thing) and having no files to play on ffr main engine makes it way less attractive.

"Oh but only 3 playes can play such high difficulty" yeah well those 3 players are basically the image of the game online, so mayyyybe we should make them stay.

Anyway this thread is about 255bpm 32nds and all I have to say is Yes do it and if it's properly structured I'd accept it tbh.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #23
SpaceGorilla
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i would argue, rather, than the lack of files making ffr less attractive, that it's probably got something to do with uhhh the engine maybe?
just an idea that i'm throwing out there uh it probably isn't right at all

br2pac

play this ^
SpaceGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

yeah its certainly partly the engine but only having like 10 charts that are even remotely difficult for moderately high level players definitely doesnt help
Old 10-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #25
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGorilla View Post
i would argue, rather, than the lack of files making ffr less attractive, that it's probably got something to do with uhhh the engine maybe?
just an idea that i'm throwing out there uh it probably isn't right at all
There was lots of activity even when we only had legacy/velo engine. We're lacking files and it shows.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #26
maximemoring
FFR Player

Video of said stepping: https://youtu.be/YHN58SFUUio
As you can see, I've followed the melody for the 16th stepping, thing is, I don't want to do a 24th step, as it would be unfollowable with the melody.

I did it that way, because I noticed that audibly, the beginning of each 4th seemed to "lead" the melody in this part. So it seemed like a good idea to put emphasis on the first 8th

I wouldn't mind doing another 16th step, though I really am not sure how I should implement the instrumental change to give it a more intense feel if not by making them 32nds.

SpaceGorilla, I understand it.

Last edited by maximemoring; 10-22-2017 at 11:45 PM..
maximemoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #27
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

why
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #28
DarkZtar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximemoring View Post
Video of said stepping: https://youtu.be/YHN58SFUUio
As you can see, I've followed the melody for the 16th stepping, thing is, I don't want to do a 24th step, as it would be unfollowable with the melody.
You didn't actually read my first post did you.
At 255 bpm, nobody is going to be following an arpeggiated melody. The player won't notice the lack of precise music relevance at that speed. If you want to go hard with 32nds then fine, do that, just don't have weird bursts of 32nds when the synth is continuous.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #29
maximemoring
FFR Player

Quote:
You didn't actually read my first post did you.
At 255 bpm, nobody is going to be following an arpeggiated melody. The player won't notice the lack of precise music relevance at that speed. If you want to go hard with 32nds then fine, do that, just don't have weird bursts of 32nds when the synth is continuous.
This isn't about whether people notice if it follows the melody or not. I find it fun to make chiptune files that follow the melody, as it's complex melodies are one of the main draws of chiptune. Which is why I said I don't want to make a 24th, as it would be impossible to follow it, not that it's not better. But I understand, I'm just not sure how I could possible make a harder 16th at that point, or if I should be doing, let's say, a 32nd roll that switches direction along with the melody. Though, there would be a lot of 32nds that are on the same note only one 16th apart (1-2-3-4-3-2-1 The threes, for example), is that a problem?

Oh also, can someone define a "jumpthrill"?

Last edited by maximemoring; 10-23-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 AM   #30
DarkZtar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Then go hard with 32nds. Don't let your memes be dreams.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #31
maximemoring
FFR Player

Quote:
Though, there would be a lot of 32nds that are on the same note only one 16th apart (1-2-3-4-3-2-1 The threes, for example), is that a problem?

If possible, can you answer these two questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquellex View Post
In all seriousness, I can only suggest a more rigid 16th stream passage at this stage in contrast to the ordinary 16th runs from that track.
That could be useful info, what do you mean by "rigid"?

Last edited by maximemoring; 10-23-2017 at 12:47 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #32
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

someone please end this torment i am in literal agony
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 AM   #33
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Though, there would be a lot of 32nds that are on the same note only one 16th apart (1-2-3-4-3-2-1 The threes, for example), is that a problem?

Question 1: Yes. 510 BPM staircase patterns are definitely a problem. I'd say ~200 BPM 32nd would be absolute maximum for stream with any kind of anchoring or minijacking like this
Question 2: I think you mean jumptrill. If you don't know what that is, and you're attempting to step a brutal file for FFR, yikes.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 10-23-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #34
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

no
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #35
maximemoring
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Question 1: Yes. 510 BPM staircase patterns are definitely a problem. I'd say ~200 BPM 32nd would be absolute maximum for stream with any kind of anchoring or minijacking like this
Question 2: I think you mean jumptrill. If you don't know what that is, and you're attempting to step a brutal file for FFR, yikes.
1: Yeah, that's what I thought.
2: I'm pretty sure I know what it is, just the way people used the term in this thread (namely jumptrill rolls) gave me the impression what I think it is isn't what it is, as I've never really considered jumptrills to be rollable. We're talking of [13]-[24], [12]-[34], [14]-[23] right? Thanks for being an ass, though. :I

Last edited by maximemoring; 10-23-2017 at 03:23 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #36
DarkZtar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alright I'll say it, I don't think you're ready to make a file of this difficulty, at least not one that is up to FFR's standards for acceptance through the batch. Just looking through the various questions gives me the impression that you really aren't sure of what you are doing at this point (and the video of that part of the file basically confirms that). Again, not trying to be the naysayer that says you should just stop trying, but temper your expectations accordingly for how you expect the file will probably be received.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #37
maximemoring
FFR Player

Quote:
aren't sure of what you are doing at this point
Why do you think I came here with a question? Because I've got everything figured out? Do you seriously think not answering the question and instead analyzing me is going to help anything?

I came here for some insight, not to know whether or not you think I'm "ready" to make the file. That just sounds elitist.

Last edited by maximemoring; 10-23-2017 at 04:29 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 AM   #38
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
1: Yeah, that's what I thought.
2: I'm pretty sure I know what it is, just the way people used the term in this thread (namely jumptrill rolls) gave me the impression what I think it is isn't what it is, as I've never really considered jumptrills to be rollable. We're talking of [13]-[24], [12]-[34], [14]-[23] right? Thanks for being an ass, though. :I
It's as simple as using a jumptrill instead of hitting a 32nd wall as individual notes, since you can get away with it without dropping accuracy, especially at this speed. The concern several people in this thread have made is that if the 510 BPM stream isn't jumptrillable, it shouldn't be included. An example you can look to is the FFR song "-+" which includes a few 550ish BPM walls (and when I say 550, I'm referring to the speed it would be if it were a 16th string, which is the standard). If these walls were not at least 90% jumptrillable (and they're 100% jumptrill) I'm pretty sure you'd see an autorejection in the judging process.

And as for being an ass, sure I was, but the concept of jumptrilling rolls is an extremely basic one that anyone attempting to step a file of this difficulty should at least have already known about before starting.

As for the sample you posted earlier, the 32nd bursts are a no-go. The 16th js section is underlayered especially if you're gonna drop that wall hammer on people straight after, and I actually can't hear why you would step any 32nds in this section period just because the type of sound changes. The actual frequency of notes remains the same. Slow the song down to half speed and listen for yourself.

I'd say you have three options, all of which involve killing the 32nds altogether:
1) Keep the layering you have in that first section the same, step a similar stream you have to the first part but with heavier layering for the part you currently have as 32nds. This would create a nice difficulty increase for the heavier section without going overboard. Currently you only have the main drum beats as jumps, where you could put jumps for the second melody that is going on in front of the part you stepped as 16th stream or even the more minor drum beats as well.
2) Apply this layering to all streams that fit the above description and use color theory to make the heavier section more visually interesting.
3) Switch up the patterning while maintaining the same jumpstream structure for the heavier section so that it feels more unique.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 10-23-2017 at 04:51 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #39
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If you step it like this you can retain a sustainably difficult chart without overdoing the difficulty for the 32nds, players can choose to hit them as rolls or jumptrill them.

all in all i think the real question that needs to be answered is how does the rest of the file compare to the 32nds?, if they are far more difficult than the rest of the file then they should be reduced in difficulty, or the rest of the file should be harder. That's my opinion.

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 10-23-2017 at 04:37 AM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #40
DarkZtar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Why do you think I came here with a question? Because I've got everything figured out? Do you seriously think not answering the question and instead analyzing me is going to help anything?

I came here for some insight, not to know whether or not you think I'm "ready" to make the file. That just sounds elitist.
I didn't feel the need to answer the question because several people before me pointed out your viable options. Even after the initial question, I gave you some advice. You then post a video later on of the file showing that you chose to not heed any of said options or advice. Not sure what you expect people to conclude from that. And with regards to your usage of the forum as a resource, yes it is a good place for insight, but there is kind of an understanding that you should have a good grasp of all the basics before you go hard with a 105+ file. Frankly I don't care whether you want to know whether you're ready or not, I said that in the interest of trying to get it through your head that it is probably in your best interest to take a step back and get a grasp of things so that you produce a better file when all is said and done. You're responding as if I'm antagonizing you and daring you to fail but as a fellow stepartist, judge, and someone that wants to see more hard files get into the game, I honestly want you to succeed. Going forward with making a file that you're likely not ready for isn't the fastest way to improve.