Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-8-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
tunsz555
FFR Player

Default Metal pad recommendations?

Long long time ago I heard about Cobalt Flux. I have been wanting metal pad from that time but does not have enough money. Now that I have a job it seems that it is not on sale anymore so I want some recommendations about this. Thanks.

Ps. I have researched and found Precision Dance Pad which seems to be a special kind of pad that is more durable than foam but not the same as metal because the pad is completely flat (no recess), and another real metal ones from ddrgame.com. I am currently leaning towards Precision ones, but not sure if anyone has experienced it or have something better.

Last edited by tunsz555; 01-8-2017 at 07:00 AM..
tunsz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
coulenez
FFR Player

Default Re: Metal pad recommendations?

You might want to wait for the impulse platforms to get released this Fall. They have a Facebook page and look really promising.

I've played on a precision dancepad for 2 years. I improved a lot on this pad, but it has issues. I'm not happy about it. Also people say it's overpriced for what it is. It does allow me to play though and it does its job to some extent.

If you want to play right now it might be your best option, but try to look up if you can have machine access, or buy a machine, build your own pad, etc.

Softpads can be good for learning the game too, if you've never played before.
coulenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

impulse pads should be literally everything you could ever want in a metal pad, and are intended as pretty much arcade pad replacements

the caveat being that they release this fall.

i own a cf and theres plenty of misfiring problems, where i know a couple people with the precision pads that hate it because after extensive use, it starts to stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
DDRBaller123
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DDRBaller123 Send a message via MSN to DDRBaller123 Send a message via Yahoo to DDRBaller123 Send a message via Skype™ to DDRBaller123

hopefully the impulse pads are cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
you sound like a nerd and your girlfriend is trying to make you sound less nerdy because your nickname for your ex is m'lady dragonborne or some shit and she don't wanna be seen with no scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
The asshole in me wants to tell your girlfriend to stop being a pussy bitch about it.

The concerned forum poster in me wants to tell your girlfriend nearly the same thing.
DDRBaller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

$600-800 USD

https://www.facebook.com/pg/impulsep...=page_internal

Looks like they're first releasing the "full package" type deal, with 9 panels, and a good functioning bar with height adjustment.

Later they'll also do cheaper versions that have the expensive/superfluous parts stripped as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
DDRBaller123
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DDRBaller123 Send a message via MSN to DDRBaller123 Send a message via Yahoo to DDRBaller123 Send a message via Skype™ to DDRBaller123

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
$600-800 USD

https://www.facebook.com/pg/impulsep...=page_internal

Looks like they're first releasing the "full package" type deal, with 9 panels, and a good functioning bar with height adjustment.

Later they'll also do cheaper versions that have the expensive/superfluous parts stripped as well
welp precision dance pads here i come lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
you sound like a nerd and your girlfriend is trying to make you sound less nerdy because your nickname for your ex is m'lady dragonborne or some shit and she don't wanna be seen with no scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
The asshole in me wants to tell your girlfriend to stop being a pussy bitch about it.

The concerned forum poster in me wants to tell your girlfriend nearly the same thing.
DDRBaller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
tunsz555
FFR Player

Good to know about Impulse Platforms. I am not quite a beginner and can do up to 13-15 in the real DDR machine. I might get a PDP at this rate because I also like that it is thin and easily storable, but plus international shipment (+150$) the PDP goes up to 510$ and that sets me back a lot. (would rather go to the arcade, go for a Japan trip, or get a PS4+FF15 at that price) Anyway, thank you.

(If I know how to build a custom PDP from scratch it might actually worth the effort..)

Last edited by tunsz555; 01-9-2017 at 10:22 AM..
tunsz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-4-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

I've been under a rock. I will have something to save for! This really really excites me! Thanks for the fb link, yoshl
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2017, 03:25 AM   #9
CaptainAhab
FFR Player

Those look quite nice, but I'll be holding off for the lowest-end models. Will be keeping tabs on that page, thanks.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2017, 04:23 AM   #10
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I have a Precision Dance Pad in the mail now actually. I'll report on how I like it when it gets here.

Everyone I know who has one reports that they're pretty legit. This thread is the first I've heard that they've had problems. Hopefully the one I get is good to go

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelle View Post
I've been under a rock. I will have something to save for! This really really excites me! Thanks for the fb link, yoshl
Holy shit what's up Hazelle?

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I have a Precision Dance Pad in the mail now actually. I'll report on how I like it when it gets here.

Everyone I know who has one reports that they're pretty legit. This thread is the first I've heard that they've had problems. Hopefully the one I get is good to go

Also:

Holy shit what's up Hazelle?
Please do. I have one of those basiccc ones but i got a new one about a year ago and since it's never been really used, it works fine until it'll wear out. (Heavy play with those = I better be looking at a good pad to get in about a year).

Haha nothing much. Just been focusing on getting married and house hunting - i guess the usual grown up stuff (Minus kids - we feel they take away the fun).

I discovered the international girls rhythm league about a year ago. Ever since that's been my drive to play more seriously...without bar. That's the only hiccup but it might be managed who knows. I'm only at 9's still but maybe in 2018 I become a qualifier, or something...

How's it been with you? A lot of people still regularly post here I see. I've been trying to stay here somewhat regularly. I miss it.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

It might actually be awhile because I just found out they are just now shipping November and December orders out and making January's so who knows when it'll get here. I was told there was a wait time but I was kind of hoping for quicker :/ But yeah will do.

----------------------
Oh shit marriage? Time does fly.

I'm just working and chillin'. My serious relationship crumbled and the girl I was dating after that moved out of state so I'm just kind of in this weird state of doing whatever. I'm taking trips now so that's cool---Went to Arizona for Christmas! Beautiful state. Also Jerome is haunted as shit hahah

And yeah some of the old timers are actually still around. It's nice to see everybody again after all this time.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Quote:

I've had mine for quite a while now and I love it. The only problem I have is that each arrow is just one big sensor, so sometimes it's really hard to lift completely off of the button. I end up getting stupid misses on jumps since I'm so used to just lifting up my heel to hit it, but with the precision pad I have to lift my foot completely off of the button or else it won't trigger. So as long as you can figure out how to deal with that, it's really good.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
coulenez
FFR Player

Quote:
Everyone I know who has one reports that they're pretty legit. This thread is the first I've heard that they've had problems.
My perspective is different.
ht*tps://ww*w.facebook.com/groups/565890830137096/permalink/1315650328494472/
(remove the two '*')

It's true a lot of people have said PDPs are good though. I've almost never played on anything else so I can't really compare PDPs to other pads from my own experience. Hence I've always kind of assumed they were the best homepads that you can buy.

That's why I've suggested buying one could be your best option if
-you don't mind spending ~500$ for something that shouldn't cost that much
-you don't want to wait for something better to come out (several months)
-you can't have access to a "real pad"

It looks like maybe a few people in this thread would rather buy a PDP because it's cheaper. In the end it's all up to how you gauge you own needs for quality, and balance them with cost, but I think that would be a poor investment, especially when Impulse prototypes are said to be better than ~5k$ machines.

Adding to the PDP reviews here : I'm not quite on the same page with people who did like PDPs as I never really liked mine, but several people and myself can confirm that they do get worse over time. I've recently given up on playing on mine because the arrows ended up triggering less consistently than what I could deal with.

EDIT : also apparently PDP is late on their orders since last summer, it can take a couple months to get your pad after your order

Last edited by coulenez; 02-12-2017 at 02:43 PM..
coulenez is offline   Reply With Quote