Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions

Old 06-9-2020, 11:19 PM   #41
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: request: EXTREMELY EASY songs batch (difficulty 1 songs and lower)

Quote:
Originally Posted by springyboard View Post
As a new FFR player and Pokemon fan, I completely agree! Seeing Lavendar Town among the easiest songs was a huge motivation for me and I SDGed it before FCing some difficulty 2 and 3 songs. In fact, it is the only song that I have an AAA equivalent of at least 1 (other than the only 3 songs, all difficulty 1, that I AAAed on).

Is it true that to reach level 1, I need an AAA equivalent of 1 on at least 15 songs?
Glad to see that file has had an audience

For me on making easier content, it would feel weird to simplify say frictional nevada, compared to say my simplification of freedom dive. It’s really hard to find a song that you can chart an engaging part at a simple level. Examples being excite bike or fastest finger pointer. Finger pointer in particular is probably the only easy file in this game I don’t like.

I like making easier files, but not only do I not want to flood submissions with simplified recharts - because I easily could - I want them to... not be finger pointer either.

If that makes any sense. Not bashing finger pointer, that one is just me.

Edit: I guess a good in game example would also be Sleep, part two. Its made in the same style as freedom dive v2.

Last edited by XelNya; 06-9-2020 at 11:21 PM..
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 AM   #42
springyboard
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
It’s really hard to find a song that you can chart an engaging part at a simple level. Examples being excite bike or fastest finger pointer. Finger pointer in particular is probably the only easy file in this game I don’t like.
Speaking of Excite Bike, I am still nowhere near FCing it after 13 tries, despite at least FCing all other songs from difficulty 1 to 6 (including two that I purchased with credits) and even FCing one difficulty 9 song on my very first attempt at it.

Quote:
Glad to see that file has had an audience

I like making easier files, but not only do I not want to flood submissions with simplified recharts - because I easily could - I want them to... not be finger pointer either.
How about submitting very old songs (old enough to be in the public domain) that beginners are more likely to be familiar with? I am surprised that Happy Birthday is in Very Difficult.

Last edited by springyboard; 06-10-2020 at 04:00 AM..
springyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #43
trumaestro
I don't get no respect

Quote:
How about submitting very old songs (old enough to be in the public domain) that beginners are more likely to be familiar with? I am surprised that Happy Birthday is in Very Difficult.
We would require a performance that is also in the public domain or certain Creative Commons licensing or obtain explicit permission from the performer. Ever since pdmusic.org stopped having midis or performances on their website this has become somewhat difficult to source.

The most recent example of an easy file like what you're describing that I remember is Pictures at an Exhibition, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
edit: for me the important thing is songs I want to play
you see me struggling with GSC elite 4 because it's a fun song, nobody wants to play lame power
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
Players who are newer to the game deserve really good songs too.
This. I didn't start playing FFR because I could play a song like Pictures at an Exhibition. I started because of Trip to the Moon and Mario 80s Remix. I see lots of easy files have been made with ambient music that doesn't go anywhere. Trying to clear these files for AAA count or whatever is desperately boring for me. Such a snoozefest. It's the exact opposite of the excitement rhythm games can provide.

So, I think making a good easy file is more song choice than it is actually stepping. There are different avenues for this. You can use a song from a harder file and reduce it (weak-ish idea imo but can work). You can use a song that would be somewhat repetitive to be stepped "normally" but through "representation theory" turns out much better as an easy file (better). Some sorts of novelty also work (like Mario 80s).

Slow ambient stuff is a logical choice, but it doesn't work well for arrowsmash.
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #44
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I try to submit easier stuff when I can. Make Eggs, Eat Eggs was made with that specifically in mind (not beginner level but still). I have 5 submitted for the easy batch and have more easy stuff in my backlog to step, including some ITG songs that haven't been stepped yet.

More people should submit easy songs.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #45
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
I mean, I could do that, but not only would songs in that field be a lot harder to sync, I don't think there are many that interest me personally.

My point was that we could go back, and grab songs from the game and flood the batch with 1nps V2's, and that'd work, but when I personally do a V2 I want it to be very tasteful.

We don't have a shortage of music to chart, I just wanted to talk about why I personally didn't want to flood the batch with V2's from the game, as someone with two of them in game currently.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #46
s1rnight
( ¯u¯)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

i think the idea of “make a chart that expresses the soul of the song” works well for the higher end of difficulty (so there aren’t “dump files”), but it could probably be waived a little for the easier end. imo a batch of charts with very fun to listen to songs that have a label like “tutorial mode” on them might be a good idea...

look, they have “baby areas” in mcdonalds too where they have all ur favourite characters but cartoony and theyre relaxing places to be in!!! thats all im saying...
Old 06-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #47
s1rnight
( ¯u¯)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

(i think it might be funny if they were midi versions of popular songs tho, hehe. then u cld play the real version when its harder)
Old 06-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #48
flashflash account
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
The thing is we're a community content game, so people when they step a song generally step it in the difficulty range they play (not always but this is how it is most of the time) I try to usually make at least two difficulties when I make something so I can hopefully reach different skillsets, but not everyone is up for doing it.

You're always welcome to step something and submit it to us, and we're always happy to help out people learning how to make charts.
I made a super galaxy rumble file a long time ago that is still probably on the forums somewhere idk how I'd find it tho

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #49
springyboard
FFR Player

Speaking of easy songs, I have one question: the FFR Level Ranks page shows two difficulty 1 songs (Trip to the Moon and SuperMario 8-bit 80s remix) that I cannot find at all in the song list (not even with instructions on how to unlock them). How do I play them? The easy song Geno's F-Forest Zero is locked and requires a pass on SuperMario 8-bit 80s Remix with at least 100 combo to unlock.

P.S. After FCing all level 7 songs and even FCing some level 10 songs on my first attempt, I finally managed to FC (even SDG) Excite Bike!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #50
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Quote:
Speaking of easy songs, I have one question: the FFR Level Ranks page shows two difficulty 1 songs (Trip to the Moon and SuperMario 8-bit 80s remix) that I cannot find at all in the song list (not even with instructions on how to unlock them). How do I play them? The easy song Geno's F-Forest Zero is locked and requires a pass on SuperMario 8-bit 80s Remix with at least 100 combo to unlock.

P.S. After FCing all level 7 songs and even FCing some level 10 songs on my first attempt, I finally managed to FC (even SDG) Excite Bike!
You need to go into options and click the box to show legacy files
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:27 AM   #51
springyboard
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
You need to go into options and click the box to show legacy files
Thanks! Managed to find them.

Just some feedback as a new user: I can understand hiding songs that no longer meet modern standards. I can understand songs that can only be unlocked by passing others. But combining the two is very confusing for new users, who will not know how to find the (legacy) song that they need to pass in order to unlock the song they want.

Another thought on legacy songs: Could some be "updated" to meet modern standards? That would increase the songs available especially at lower levels. The backgrounds are really nice and I wish some "modern" songs had them (though there should be an option to turn them off to reduce distraction when going for AAA).
Old 10-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #52
trumaestro
I don't get no respect

Bumping this thread.

The release of Control has shown something pretty neat, at least to me. Look at the level stats page. A lot of the non-AAA scores on there are from brand new accounts.

From a tiny sample size of one it looks like releasing really easy files spurs some people to create accounts. Whether it's from the "accessible" nature of such an easy file or something isn't entirely clear. But I think this is something we need some focus on in hopes of growing or at least maintaining the game. Hopefully some of these new accounts stick around to play more.

Make more really easy files.
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #53
VisD
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I don't know about a whole batch for this (as it is half the Easy batch is still unjudged) but I will +1 the need for more really easy files. Under difficulty 10, and even lower if possible.

Furthermore ideally some of those files would also have fun, energetic music - you know, the kind of jams that upper-level players enjoy. Lower level players deserve that. I have nothing against slow piano songs, but Tasselfoot's playthrough stream a few months ago showed that FFR's bottom-end is heavily overrepresented by trance/slow techno/slow piano. I don't have anything against files like that, but want to encourage some song choice diversity at the easier range too.

That said I'll try to walk the talk and intend to submit at least 1, but basically fill up leftover submission slots with very easy files of this nature for a few batches at least

Last edited by VisD; 10-10-2020 at 05:01 PM..
VisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisD View Post
Furthermore ideally some of those files would also have fun, energetic music - you know, the kind of jams that upper-level players enjoy. Lower level players deserve that.
hell yeah brother
Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #55
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

aite, time to whip out my Undici v2
ositzxz369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #56
sff_writer_dan
FFR Player

Quote:
Finger pointer in particular is probably the only easy file in this game I don’t like.
T_T
sff_writer_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #57
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ositzxz369 View Post
aite, time to whip out my Undici v2
YOU WOULDN'T DARE, SIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
@ULTIMEGA, dank meme genie.

HIGHEST AAA:Necropotence [90]
HIGHEST SDG: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
HIGHEST FC: Six Acid Strings [101]
HIGHEST SCORE: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:49 AM   #58
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I am dedicating at least 2 of my 5 submissions each batch for files level 10 and under (Monstercat songs). Already have my current batch and next batch submissions stepped!
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote