Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Why do you AAA?

it just happens by accident
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
sweet2kill210
I'm okay I guess
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sweet2kill210 Send a message via Yahoo to sweet2kill210 Send a message via Skype™ to sweet2kill210

Like others have already said, the feeling of achievement is nicest with AAAs for me. Although I still get excited when I get an FC on a song of a very high difficulty level (86+ FCs excite me).

Whenever you finally AAA a song it's like you've completely mastered the rhythm of that song and that patterns within it. It shows definite improvement and in addition I feel like the more I'm able to AAA the more difficult songs I'm able to actually read the notes on harder songs better.

For example, sometimes in easier songs there will be the same pattern that shows up in a more difficult song, but slower or in a nicer setting (with less notes surrounding it) to where I can actually see the pattern easier and that way I'm more likely to recognize it when I see it amidst a cluster of other arrows surrounding it in a more difficult song. Going back to master those easier songs makes it to where eventually I can master the more difficult songs.

Thanks Gold Stinger, you are amazing!

sweet2kill210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #23
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
i have 0 public aaa's and i'm borderline d2-d3.

i know for sure i'm in the minority but i don't see the point in literally trying to hit every single arrow perfectly, it's way too much effort and luck, especially when i get random goods in easy (or hard) spots where i have no clue what i did wrong. i believe that in ffr a good is called a "good" for a reason, and that the way people tend to interpret ffr timing judgements suggests that perfect/good/average/miss should be renamed average/bad/terrible/cataclysmic. why ffr players are so self-deprecating is something i'll never understand.

i only really play this game to waste time and for enjoyment, and trying to hit every arrow within the three frame window certainly fulfills the first objective but not really the second.
Well, its not exactly luck to get a aaa, its actually quite easy. If youre almost D3 you can EASILY get 300+ aaas without even trying. I know for a fact you can go aaa excite bike right now and you wouldnt even lose sleep over it. You just have the midset of "im never getting a aaa because im stubborn". Even if you just played the game for fun why wouldnt you want to get them? Makes no sense.

For example, im going to play mario kart for fun just to pass the time but im never going to get first place because its way too hard and just luck based. I mean why worry about it right? Second or 5th place are just as good... And you dont even have to try

Edit: And my point stands, if you can aaa this you can aaa almost anything 50 and under.... EASILY. You played it 20 times so cant just go with i got it first try or anything

Rank ▴ D Level Score P G A M B C Played
1 65 OMGWTFT0k3N 925,350* 597 0 0 0 0 597 20

Last edited by SK8R43; 06-14-2014 at 03:17 AM..
SK8R43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:35 AM   #24
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronely View Post
I've always found the most pleasure in rhythm games when playing my favorite tracks, casually hitting notes and jamming along, but it seems the general consensus on this site is that going for AAAs is what you're supposed to do. That's super cool and I love watching replays of people smash songs, but what about it keeps you guys grinding for that perfect run?
Ex-High D4 player here, I've AAA'd probably less than 30 songs in my lifetime and
Quote:
I perform worse when under the pressure of trying for a AAA. Makes me anxious and I stress every movement I make
is the reason I've never given a shit. What I've gotten are by accident. I've even had some really nice runs ruined by misses, so fuck AAAs. Just play for fun or you'll hate this game sooner than you should've.

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 06-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: wanted to insert some credibility
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #25
beary605
FFR Veteran
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
[AAAing] just happens by accident
pretty much what happens for me

i'm with zap, i'm pretty lazy and dont want to slave through 2000+ charts i wouldnt enjoy (!! damn FFR is huge!), playing them 1~10 times to AAA them all

i just play songs that i enjoy, to see how far i can push myself, and pat myself on the back for hitting some ridiculous section that was difficult before
beary605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

excluding vrofl, the difficulty cap in FFR is so low that, barring maybe at most 10 files, if the score isn't a AAA, I don't consider it to be good (I recognize this isn't a healthy mindset to approach the game, but in terms of playing competitively, it's true)

SM on the other hand is a different story...and for that very reason I find SM much more enjoyable to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #27
Tim Allen
B^)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Allen

it's because we're a bunch of nerds D U H
Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #28
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

FFR gives a mix of both accuracy and speed, but is more focused on how you can approach files.

Stepmania you can force a lot of patterns and not get boos, and you can consider chord cohesion. On the other hand in FFR you can't take advantage of chord cohesion or you get averages/boos, so you need to try another approach. It also gives you a more accurate display of your splitting tendencies on jumps/hands/quads.

In other words, you have the extremes in Stepmania: You can watch Staiain's plays on stamina draining and fast songs, you can see OldCartoon getting scores with ridiculously low perfect counts even if other players can get better greats and CBs. FFR is unfair when you consider lag issues, but I don't see anyone getting 1/4 my perfect accuracy on FFR songs. If anything, my accuracy is generally pretty close to the "most accurate" players in FFR, but on Stepmania my perfect count is much worse.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Because it's fun to do well on hard things

It's also fun to see yourself improve over time. Setting goals and then meeting them, etc.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Was anyone else reminded of a certain Batman Begins quote upon seeing this thread title btw :P
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Deidara837
For a New Beginning
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I tend to AAA usually by accident, attempting to unlock something like Oni, or trying to beat someone else's score in a tourney or rivalry. I'd call myself high D4, so I know I can do more, but there's not a strong enough incentive for me to burn through and AAA a solid 500 songs without it providing some first-link comparison or achievement, especially with the semi-limited amount of time I have to play.

_9th OT: D2 - 13th Place
10th OT: D5 - 45th Place
11th OT: D6 - 12th Place

EMG Rivalry | EMG Spreadsheet
Deidara837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #32
Yulanik
♬♪♫ ヾ(*・。・)ノ ♬♪♫
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Yulanik

It's representative to someone's skill, consistency, and dedication. The more you have, the better you are at the game. If for whatever reason you're D4 and up and don't have a lot of AAAs, you're lacking in one of those 3. If you have all 3, no problem at all to get over 1000 in your AAA bar.

I lack in the consistency department big time, even though I have enough skill to AAA 70+ songs now it likely won't happen due to my inconsistency. So I stopped going for AAAs since it just pisses me off most of the time, but whenever I do get a AAA it's a nice surprise since I'm not expecting it. I usually just let it happen naturally instead of forcing it.
Yulanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Because drawing scores against eachother is the only way to determine whether you are better than someone else, getting a perfect score is the perfect way to beat your opponent. Also I guess it gives a certain feeling of satisfaction knowing you ''beat'' the song. Me personally I am very satisfied to go 20 goods on a song. I think AAA'ing is too frustrating.
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Zapmeister
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Well, its not exactly luck to get a aaa, its actually quite easy. If youre almost D3 you can EASILY get 300+ aaas without even trying.
i literally can't sightread aaa anything.

yeah sure if i actually wanted to get an aaa on any particular song under like 30 i could probably do it with enough patience, but certainly not on the first go, except for *really* easy things. if that was necessary like if i was in a tournament or something i'd have to play it over and over to get the aaa. if i'm playing for fun what's the point in playing an easy song a lot of times trying to hit every note perfectly and getting frustrated when i get a good on a random arrow on an easy part, just to get the aaa?

i would demonstrate by giving a replay, but i haven't in fact played this game in a few months (check my last played dates) since i'm stuck with this shitty laptop keyboard that gives me random misses all the time especially on repeated notes. this includes typing.

Quote:
Edit: And my point stands, if you can aaa this you can aaa almost anything 50 and under.... EASILY. You played it 20 times so cant just go with i got it first try or anything

Rank ▴ D Level Score P G A M B C Played
1 65 OMGWTFT0k3N 925,350* 597 0 0 0 0 597 20
i got this score a long time ago when i was low d2 and getting single digit goods on like mid-30s and unable to read things in the high 40s at all.

i vehemently maintain that this song ought to be given a rating in the low 30s, like 32-33. what you may find hard (in this case the arrow gimmick) may not be hard for everyone, though i'm probably finding this on the easier end. you could similarly say that since i find it fairly easy to do the 2-4-6-8-10(12) thing on excite bike to unlock omgwtft0k3n and gammablaster can't do it even on the r^3 engine then that makes me mid d7.

the 20 plays don't include several hundred restarts. i have a screenshot of the aaa posted in the 2012 scores thread that i'm too lazy to dig up but it has 160ish restarts and that was only on the last day when i was improving it from a black flag or 1-0-0-1 (can't remember which) to an aaa, and i only did that to reinforce my point in the thread about the song being hugely over-rated.

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:18 AM   #35
Bronely
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Because it's fun to do well on hard things

It's also fun to see yourself improve over time. Setting goals and then meeting them, etc.
I feel you.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #36
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Quote:

Last edited by GammaBlaster; 06-15-2014 at 05:26 AM..
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #37
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I don't

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #38
Kawaiimachine
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
perfect/good/average/miss should be renamed average/bad/terrible/cataclysmic.
I'm liking this idea.
Kawaiimachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #39
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

i too adopt the "screw that" mindset mainly for this reason:
Quote:
i'm playing for fun what's the point in playing an easy song a lot of times trying to hit every note perfectly and getting frustrated when i get a good on a random arrow on an easy part, just to get the aaa?
If I wanted to get my AAA's up I'd have to spend hours drudgingly playing slow, unchallenging songs and getting frustrated. I still sometimes have nightmares about Spontaneous Hydroxide. it's #6 in my top 10 most played songs (and that's not even counting restarts) and I haven't even AAA'd it yet. the other songs are in the top 10 because i actually like them.

Most my AAAs are done unintentionally, the rest are pre"F-that" mindset.

Last edited by MrPoptart; 06-15-2014 at 10:46 AM..
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #40
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

i want to see how good i can get. my stats represent that, on a personal level. competition wise its completely different, but the more people i can get a lower rank then the harder i will play to pass the next one