Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 07-8-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default [Pack Release] Sharpnel Instrumentality Project

yeah yeah i know this pack should've come out last month whatever

Click on the banner or this download link to download the pack.

Welcome to the Sharpnel Instrumentality Project -- the next evolution of stamina jumpstream charting and stamina capabilities in general.

Sharpnel Instrumentality Project is a 16-chart project that primarily consists of jumpstream stamina charts -- MSD difficulty range of 19 to 24. It was initially an 11-chart project, but after some discussion with a couple of people who have organised successful packs of a similar nature, I believe that a 16-chart project would have more staying power and general appeal as a pack.

I initially started this project because I felt that osu!mania and Etterna heavily lacked jumpstream (stamina) charts that had particularly strong structures (from a charting standpoint), and I felt that my jumpstream patterning ability was very lacking relatively, so I wanted to make a pack that would accomplish two things: a project that would hone my charting ability in areas that I've ignored for a long time, and a set of charts for a skillset that is very high in demand for a long time but has treated as a joke from a charting structure because of how the charts have been made over the past few years.

Songlist:

No chart descriptions because no one really reads them anymore and Etterna has a chart preview function that everyone should use.

While working on this pack, I realised that charting jumpstream with a substantial structure is much much harder than it seems on paper. Not only are you forced to create structures that are more or less on point since the rhythms repeat so many times in a song, but you have to apply charting techniques that don't necessarily apply to charts with non-continuous streams. Pitch relevance in the most conventional sense is usually completely useless if not detrimental to a jumpstream chart, and charters have to rely on a combination of varied densities (which usually is accompanied by a lot of syncopated rhythms), painstaking attention to hand/finger motions when designing jumpstream, and figuring out what makes jumpstream sequences/patterns memorable to players. The experience is both frustrating and rewarding, and I do hope that players will enjoy the charts that will come out of my experiences with JS patterning when I'm finished with the project. I certainly feel as if I've learned a lot, and I hope to apply this new philosophy of patterning into other charts in the future as well.

As for why I chose DJ Sharpnel out of any other artist, it's mostly a nod to extant Sharpnel pad packs out there, primarily SHARPNELSTREAMZ and Rebuild of Sharpnel. For anyone who wishes to learn more about pad patterning, those packs are excellent places to start, especially Rebuild of Sharpnel. Another reason I chose DJ Sharpnel over other artists is that DJ Sharpnel makes j-core that I believe is more rhythmically interesting than other j-core artists at the moment. The pack name is a nod to Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is a series that DJ Sharpnel samples very often in their music.

Credits:
- aperson, Tim/Valedict, Wh1teh, and Jole for being heavy playtesters of the charts I've made for the pack and giving very constructive feedback.
- Guilhermeziat for his initial chart for Dokudenpa and indirectly giving me inspiration to more or less expand the size of the pack.
- AutotelicBrown for giving me feedback for Quadra Girlz as I was charting it.
- VisD/aeoliancarp for going through Strangeprogram, Tactical Railroad, Fake Promise and Magic Cycles.
- heather for letting me use her artwork for Blue Army, Dokudenpa, and Moonearth. You can check out her work here.
- Izzz for letting me use her artwork for Black Chocolates. You can check out her work here.
- tosh/Miothres for letting me use her graphics for Shine!!.
- Fullerene-/Caliber and Wh1teh for being around whenever I needed help with organising a pack of this nature, I really appreciated the input that you two gave when it came to pack sizes and other things for a scoring-oriented pack.
- Various, various people for being around whenever I needed someone to talk to about my charting insecurities. Autotelic and Tim have been particularly helpful in this, so major thanks to you two especially.
- Many many people for playtesting through my Sharpnel charts in general (afrono, Lethal, Diatonic, Phil, too many to list). Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Be sure to check out the sister pack Nightflower Complex as well if you're more into something less jumpstream-oriented. I hope that there's something for you to enjoy in either this pack or Nightflower.

Last edited by Wiosna; 11-11-2021 at 09:22 AM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
CammyGoesRawr
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran

Default Re: [Pack Release] Sharpnel Instrumentality Project

sharpneljumpstreamz paq

I think alot of people will love playing this and the constant work you put into it won't go to waste, thank you

CammyGoesRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Matthia
🍍Pineapple Man🍍
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Time to PFC everything

Matthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:31 PM   #4
JustinEve
FFR Player

Guess there is another session today ��
JustinEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:31 PM   #5
AnMaO
Godly
D8 Godly Keysmasher

insane.
AnMaO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
Mipha
Zora Princess
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

ayyy
Mipha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-8-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
StarrySergal
FFR Player

This is literally Rebuild of Sharpnel but for keyboard

...and i love it, the concepts and backstories/philosophies of both albums are kind of similar and very interesting, im really hyped to play this pack!

StarrySergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2021, 01:23 AM   #8
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySergal View Post
This is literally Rebuild of Sharpnel but for keyboard

...and i love it, the concepts and backstories/philosophies of both albums are kind of similar and very interesting, im really hyped to play this pack!
I definitely used Rebuild of Sharpnel as a reference for this pack -- Zaia was probably what got me into figuring out what people were doing when they were making streams in footspeed/stamina charts tbh. His World Sound chart from SSv2 really opened my eyes to how pad streaming worked and it was an on-and-off project for me to figure out how I could translate some of the kinaesthetic feelings I got from it but on KB.

I've had this very large respect for stamina/footspeed steppers in the ITG community since, and in a sense this pack is meant to be a love letter/tribute to their contributions to the rhythm game scene because it has left a very profound impact on me as a stepper
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2021, 03:23 AM   #9
Wh1teh
FFR Player

Finally, good jumpstream
Wh1teh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I love tpz
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:21 AM   #11
TerminusC22
FFR Player

once again thank you for using my photography, it was very surreal going through this pack and going "oh fuck this is mine" everytime i saw one of my own photos being used