Old 09-3-2008, 07:10 PM   #81
Breakdown16
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: How to get better at FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessydonut View Post
What's PA ?
Perfect Attack. I think of it as Perfect Accuracy though. Be right back with a thread link.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=37697

Perfect Attack: Getting a good ratio of perfects to goods.

Made by arrekusuof93 at Ye Olde Photoshop Shoppe
Who remembers this thread? Brings back great memories XD
Breakdown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2008, 09:16 AM   #82
Redsky139
The cat's away; Go Play
FFR Veteran

I think this thread needs some more suggestions about how and what to practice.

1. There should be some notes about focus and distractions. This game requires a ridiculous amount of concentration and a conscious effort to keep yourself focused. This is actually a very complex topic, so I don't have the time to go into it now.

2. There are a number of different skills that require separate practice, in my opinion.
There are:
a) Technique issues. There are general ones like minimizing the motion of your fingers, so they don't need to go as far to hit the notes and specific ones like working on left handed trills (or up-down trills for one-handers).
b) Stamina issues. As you get to the higher levels of difficulty and have developed your reading skills and technique to a certain degree, you may start to make mistakes simply because your muscles are tired. There are several ways to combat this - play through the pain (finish the song even though your hand is about to fall off) and playing songs that are even more tiring (e.g., MAX forever) to train, etc.
c) I feel like trying for a new FC requires a different skill set than trying for a new AAA. To oversimplify, the difference is is between practicing precision versus practicing speed (both reading and playing speed). I do think they are intrinsically linked, though. When I first started playing, I neglected working on AAAs because it was time consuming and required a lot of focus. Now I find when I practice AAAs, the additional discipline on, for example, hitting triples with good PA, can help me FC a tough song I'd been having trouble with before.
d) Anti-PA is a completely different skill set, but I'm not sure it's worth mentioning here. I've found one can improve their skill at mashing, as well, but that's not something to be encouraged.

In general, I find that you should be able to easily AAA songs that are 5 easier difficulty than you can FC (e.g., if you can FC very difficult songs, you should be able to AAA very easy songs without any trouble), and it's possible to AAA at 2-3 difficulties below your FC threshold with some work.

I'm sure there's more that could be said, but I can't think of anything more right now.

One-hander that does alright sometimes.

Are you one of the best one-handers on FFR? Show it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card Man
I think this will give both of us pleasure because it will take long. (I think)
Redsky139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2008, 09:23 AM   #83
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lxDestinyxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsky139 View Post
I think this thread needs some more suggestions about how and what to practice.
Ok...

Quote:
This is actually a very complex topic, so I don't have the time to go into it now.
Please don't. But I do have a reason why I don't include the more finer points of getting better at FFR. This is a fundamental base for starting off FFR. It is basically the essentials. The furthermore complex ideas on improvement will eventually come to the player, without the assistance of a guide. I don't think any more should necessarily be added to what there already is.
Old 09-7-2008, 09:39 AM   #84
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

i think the best way to get "better" is to play songs that u cant beat normally without mashing. like EHHS or some other songs thats constant like that try reading the notes
Old 09-7-2008, 10:27 AM   #85
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
i think the best way to get "better" is to play songs that u cant beat normally without mashing. like EHHS or some other songs thats constant like that try reading the notes
Read tip #3. It pretty much explains that keeping yourself to one difficulty won't improve your excelling on FFR.
Old 09-7-2008, 11:55 AM   #86
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

you should change the part about speedmods b/c they changed i guess
Old 09-7-2008, 12:14 PM   #87
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Thank you. I'll work on it ASAP, but for now I need to complete a crime fiction oral presentation, due in 6 hours.
EDIT: I won't update until the feature becomes public.

Last edited by lxDestinyxl; 09-8-2008 at 04:39 AM..
lxDestinyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-8-2008, 09:08 AM   #88
frozen fire
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

well the best way on how i got better is first to change your speed. if you are new at this then start with a 1.25x and slowly work your way up. Second is that i have my key configuation changed so that i dont have my hands all squished together on the arrow key (i use zx./). Third is to do game lvs that u can do without dying in them. Last but not least (this is all i can think of right now) NO MASHING.
frozen fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #89
LizahB
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to LizahB Send a message via Yahoo to LizahB

I just practice the same way I practice arcade style DDR...
Play like a total spazz, the more you play the more you get used to it and you can start trying harder things. ^o^
LizahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #90
shadmantut
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to shadmantut

Hey man. Thanks for that great tip. I've been playing this game for like 2 years, using the one hand, arrow keys method, it has helped me tremendously. Thanks alot. XD
shadmantut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #91
L0NEvvolf
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to L0NEvvolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxDestinyxl View Post
Ok...

Please don't. But I do have a reason why I don't include the more finer points of getting better at FFR. This is a fundamental base for starting off FFR. It is basically the essentials. The furthermore complex ideas on improvement will eventually come to the player, without the assistance of a guide. I don't think any more should necessarily be added to what there already is.
Agreed find what works for you, everyone has a perfered playing style. That you must find by playing long and hard.
L0NEvvolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #92
Blade2030
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Blade2030

i play spread cause its way easier than any other style for me although i do one hand as well some do index which is crazy for me to think about lol but yeah i play spread.

Blade2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #93
digital love
FFR Player

I AGREEE

Last edited by digital love; 09-19-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: oopw
digital love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #94
joescoolpub
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizahB View Post
I just practice the same way I practice arcade style DDR...
Play like a total spazz, the more you play the more you get used to it and you can start trying harder things. ^o^
ohhh yaaa.... i definentily agree on that one
joescoolpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #95
joescoolpub
FFR Player

hey, thanks for the tips, when i tried the index setting thing, i was a whole lot better, and then i went up to 1,5 or 1,75 arrow speed, and that helped even more. now i can even beat some tricky songs!!!! thanks so much
joescoolpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #96
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Glad to help, young man. All I can suggest now is to read a little more in depth of the forum rules, and explore into the FFR forums a little more. You'll find that double posting isn't accepted except in rare cases, and using the "Edit" button in the bottom right hand corner of your post will take you a long way.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #97
ryanyoyoyo
FFR Player

i'am preety good already!
ryanyoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #98
4_teddybears
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Post Re: How to get better at FFR

Quote:

1. There should be some notes about focus and distractions. This game requires a ridiculous amount of concentration and a conscious effort to keep yourself focused......

2. There are a number of different skills that require separate practice, in my opinion......
I agree. Different practice is required for different aspects.

(1)Time spent playing the game will Improve your ability to read the arrows.

(2)If you are new to using your fingers in the way required, pushing buttons will seem awkward at first, especialy trills with one hand; even more so if it is your left hand (for a right handed person). It will probably be a lot easier if you have played a muical instrument like the piano. If not, it will take time to gain dexterity in your fingers. I don't think it is so much about building up the muscles, but more about being able to control them precisely.

(3)I do not believe that time alone is enough to improve your PA. This is about technique and concentration. You may be able to happily FC a song in any environment or whilst chatting to someone, but it a calm environment with no distractions you will certainly get a better PA.

Now, here's the technique, asuming that you have sufficient dexterity and co-ordination between you hands and brain, I believe the best single piece of advice that anyone can give you is where to look when playing. Actually, more specific, where to focus.
The difference being that you do need to look or be aware of more than one thing, but you can do this while focusing on something else:

Your focus should be on the line of stationery arrows, and possibly track back and forth horizontally on this line, although I find that just keeping focused on one arrow, will usually enable me to hit all the others perfect too.

Don't try looking hard at one arrow and telling yourself not to look anywhere else though; you are likely to miss a perfect because you were not aware of the arrow's vertical position in you peripheral vision.

You need to be aware of the arrows as they come up, but you should not follow individual arrows with your eyes. Following the arrow will make you unaware of when to hit it and you will probably hit it early.
On easy songs, you will probably find yourself following the arrows up, but this is ok as long as your focus is on the stationery line. Although you are following the arrow, your eyes should jump ahead at the last moment and focus on the respective stator.

(4) It is also important to listen to the music, to get you hands moving in the correct rhythm. unless it's a song that is deliberately off beat (I can only think of one), In which case you may wish to turn off your sound.

(5) Though you can play with you hands resting on the desk or laptop, It is sometimes necessary to to re-adjust your hands. Whenever I do this while trying to AAA, More often than not, I hit a good. For this reason It it is important to have your hands in a comfortable position and also be sitting comfortably before starting the game.

During harder parts of a song, it sometimes helps to lift your hands away from the desk/laptop. This can be done without any disturbance to your PA. You may want to play the whole song with your hands removed (away from the keypad, not resting on anything. Not lopped off!) if it gives more freedom.

There are many ways you can setup your keys and hold you hands, but I think these are of no great importance. The most important thing is to keep you hands relaxed and don't get tense at harder parts of the song.

Thank-you for reading, I hope that this has helped.
<jokes>Most of this material was taken from the bestselling paperback "FFR for dummies". Credit to the authors.</jokes>

Last edited by 4_teddybears; 09-24-2008 at 09:08 PM..
4_teddybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #99
Anbu_BluE
FFR Player

Practice makes perfect thats all there is to it
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #100
digital love
FFR Player

Oooooooooooohhhh snap!

Last edited by digital love; 09-29-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: i have