Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 10-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Blackskull305
Sippin' tea in yo hood
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Electro Muscle Stimulation Devices for Enhancing VSRG Performance

So I just had this wild thought occur to me.

The TENS Twin-Stim muscle stimulator is a programmable device which can be programmed for constant pulses ranging from 2 Hz - 150 Hz with variable wavelengths and stim durations.

I think it might be possible to connect this type of machine up to your right and left forearms to create a slight, constant, involuntary wrist-jacking motion for enhancing long-jack / chordjack performance on 4 key files.

For example, jackhammer madness has 200 bpm 16th note long jacks. So if you could set the machine to a 13.33 Hz pulse frequency with a 200-300 microsecond wavelength (200 bpm x 4 notes per beat / 60 sec per min = 13.33 Hz), so that you achieve a slight involuntary wrist-jack motion of 13.33 notes per second, then you could - hypothetically - greatly enhance your performance on this file.

Furthermore, this type of involuntary wrist-jacking motion could be tuned to lower intensities to boost stamina recovery, and generally increase stamina overall during a session.

Has anyone ever experimented with this type of performance enhancement before? Thoughts?

Edit: I suppose one downside is that the machine can only be adjusted in 1 Hz steps. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to achieve a perfect 13.33 Hz frequency, and would have to settle for a rounded 13.00 Hz. Furthermore, it may be difficult to synchronize the EMS waveform with the down-beat of a given file. Also, it might not be possible to use this effectively on files with highly variable bpm changes.

One of the major benefits with this machine is that the involuntary muscle stimulation would be synchronized between the left and right arms, allowing for efficient jump/quad jacking, and better control with two-handed patterns in general.

Last edited by Blackskull305; 10-20-2020 at 09:45 PM..
Blackskull305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Electro Muscle Stimulation Devices for Enhancing VSRG Performance

Stim Pack

Marines and firebats double their rate of fire and increase their movement rate for a limited period of time.

Stimpacks will not activate if the unit has 10 or less hit points left. Activating stimpacks again before the previous use has worn out resets the timer and subtracts additional hit points; the unit's cool down does not decrease further.

Use medics to get the most from stimpacks.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

im calling the anti doping rhythm gaming organization
Old 10-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
RadiantVibe
PUNKTURE DERBY

I had this same thought years ago, would be hilarious to actually try it
RadiantVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I have a similar machine. I doubt you could reliably set one up to actually hit jacks. Using one of these also kind of overwhelms your nerves/muscles. Meaning you can't really control the muscle while the pulse is going.
I don't think you can generate the actuation force needed for most keyboard switches by using one. Even if you could somehow hold down keys just enough to barely need to press further down to actuate, you still can't control it well. You'll get random misses and have a larger potential to hurt yourself by using it on both hands.

Very bad idea imo to use it while playing

But I have found it very useful in its intended purpose, to help with pain I sometimes get in my wrists/knee. Whether that counts as helping with vsrg gameplay idk

Last edited by trumaestro; 10-20-2020 at 09:48 PM..
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
Blackskull305
Sippin' tea in yo hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumaestro View Post
I have a similar machine. I doubt you could reliably set one up to actually hit jacks. Using one of these also kind of overwhelms your nerves/muscles. Meaning you can't really control the muscle while the pulse is going.
I don't think you can generate the actuation force needed for most keyboard switches by using one. Even if you could somehow hold down keys just enough to barely need to press further down to actuate, you still can't control it well. You'll get random misses and have a larger potential to hurt yourself by using it on both hands.

Very bad idea imo
This is a good point, and you may, in all likelihood, be right in your judgment. However, I think that, with very low intensity, this sort of stimulation might be all one needs to push oneself to the next level - assuming that one has already developed a high degree of control/familiarity with the patterns near full speed.

Last edited by Blackskull305; 10-20-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Blackskull305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Dynam0
The Dominator

There's more than just muscles involved in pressing keys so as trumaestro said you wouldn't end up achieving consistent actuation forces with that machine. You would need something mechanical to physically move your finger/hand up and down. At that point you might as well make robotic arms and program them as you see fit lol

Edit: not saying the pulses wouldn't do anything but they would hijack the electrical outputs from your brain and you would lose voluntary control.

Last edited by Dynam0; 10-20-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

stepmania????
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
WildZapdos
FFR Player

unless this does exactly what simply did minus having to believe some pseudo homeopathy i think my vsrg career is still over
context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkf9__pm3lA
WildZapdos is offline   Reply With Quote