Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology

Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Teach me CS stuff for interviews

So I may be interviewing at a place to make a jump to the realm of CS/analytics type stuff, but I also suck at CS interviews because I haven't ever bothered to use stuff like suffix trees / implementing my own linked lists / hashtables / basic sorts / etc. I pretty much just do what I need the program to do and look stuff up if I don't know it.

Sooo, any advice would be welcome. What sort of shit should I know how to do cold / can you explain the basics in a simple way / offer good resources / etc?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Teach me CS stuff for interviews

disclaimer: I'm not actually a CS major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
can you explain the basics in a simple way
I'd like to give it a shot. Any topics in particular? Here, I'll start off with something you listed.

A hash table stores data. More specifically, a hash table uses a hash function to map a key to a value. Giving a key to the function will always produce the same value. Thus, if we store each key at its proper location (value) in the table, then we can look stuff up in the table really fast.

Given a key to store, a hash function produces some place to stick it in (ha). A good hash function gives each key as unique a value as possible, because collisions suck. A hash collision occurs when more than one key maps to a single value.

We have to deal with collisions somehow. Replacing the old key would be dumb, because we're storing these values so we can look them up later. A better way to deal with collisions is probing (ha).

Linear probing checks slot S, then slot S+1, then slot S+2... until there's an empty spot. The performance of linear probing would be terribad with a weak hash function; if a bunch of keys hash to the same value, then we end up checking a lot of spots before finding an open one.

Quadratic probing checks slot S, then S+1, then S+4, then S+9, then S+16... until there's an empty spot. Pretty dope. The performance is extra dope if we use a prime number for the table size and grow the table if it becomes half full. That's because, uh, wikipedia says so.

Another alternative for handling collisions is "separate chaining hashing." That's a ridiculous name for such a simple concept. Upon a collision, add the new key to the list for that value. So if keys 'A' and 'B' both mapped to the value 37, then the lookup for value 37 will give us A -> B. Linked lists can be used here. Again, performance degrades if a bunch of keys map to the same value.

Quote:
What sort of shit should I know how to do cold
Hearsay from professors and other students:

- reversing a linked list
- choosing and implementing a sorting algorithm (apparently Quicksort reigns supreme)

The types of questions would largely depend on where you're applying and what they're looking for, I would think.

Quote:
offer good resources
Someone in my class posted this link, but I hadn't bothered to check the site out until now. (Stupid me.) Looks excellent.

http://teachingtree.co/
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm not even sure what I should be studying -- I just figure stuff like home-rolled linklists, hashtables, suffix trees, SVL trees, binary search trees, red/black trees, insertion/selection/merge/bubble/shell/heap/quick/radix sort and their runtimes blahblah, graph theory, stacks and queues, priority queues, dijkstra/A*, breadth and depth-first search, blahblahblah I have no clue honestly. I'm just listing off a bunch of stuff I don't really know how to do from scratch without looking it up to see the general idea.

Basically I suck at the basics but I am good at solving problems / getting stuff working well in practice when I need to.

edit: Looks like an interesting site -- thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

yup. Just gotta get through the interview, and then looking stuff up as needed should be fine.

The fact that you can rattle off all of those topics should be encouraging. Are you looking for a refresher on the general ideas, or would translating the ideas into code be the bigger concern?

edit: leonid posted. /thread. mega helpful

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 04-12-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Read Introduction to Algorithms

You should know what data structures to use for certain problems right away, and the efficiencies of them in Big-O notation
Master basic sorting algorithms; know the efficiencies for best, average, and worst cases in Big-O

You should be able to write simple codes on a whiteboard
Know how to code in C (or C++), JAVA, and Python

Learn some OOP; Know how to plot starter classes to solve complex problems. Learn about inheritance, encapsulation etc etc

Read aloud anything that goes through your mind while solving a problem. If you are on the right track, interviewer will mark that positively. If you aren't, interviewer might add subtle hints to help you out

If in doubt, shout "HASH TABLES" and you will probably be right

If you have mentioned your previous works on your resume, interviewer might ask you about them.. Be prepared to briefly talk about it. If those are too old for you to be recalled, just get rid of them (interviewers hate long-ass resumes i.e. more than two pages)

Proud member of Team No

Last edited by leonid; 04-11-2013 at 11:59 PM..
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
Read Introduction to Algorithms

You should know what data structures to use for certain problems right away, and the efficiencies of them in Big-O notation
Master basic sorting algorithms; know the efficiencies for best, average, and worst cases in Big-O

You should be able to write simple codes on a whiteboard
Know how to code in C (or C++), JAVA, and Python

Learn some OOP; Know how to plot starter classes to solve complex problems. Learn about inheritance, encapsulation etc etc

Read aloud anything that goes through your mind while solving a problem. If you are on the right track, interviewer will mark that positively. If you aren't, interviewer might add subtle hints to help you out

If in doubt, shout "HASH TABLES" and you will probably be right

If you have mentioned your previous works on your resume, interviewer might ask you about them.. Be prepared to briefly talk about it. If those are too old for you to be recalled, just get rid of them (interviewers hate long-ass resumes i.e. more than two pages)

Resume less than one page

I have intro to algs (third edition, nickname is CLRS iirc?) but it's so effing verbose and 10000x longer than it needs to be. Having a hard time figuring out how to study from it. Feels like it can be condensed to maybe 100 pages max.

Ask some random questions (tomorrow or sth) maybe, and I'll try to answer without using external sources

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-12-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

anyone?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Resume less than one page
[loophole]fontsize 2[/loophole]
Sorry I'm not being useful, I'm not a CS major.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Why would you want to know about counterstrike if you're being interviewed
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

A singly linked list has integer as data in each node. Write a function to delete a node from the list given an integer as the argument. (Assume all the nodes have unique integers.)

question blatantly stolen from here
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeahhhh last time I wrote linked lists was in like, high school. exactly the sort of thing I'd just look up /copy/paste/edit to my needs if I needed to use such a thing

But I'd say something like

let LinkedList be the name of the class which implements the linked list

edit (removed earlier code for being stupid)

edit2: You know what I am going to start over. god damn it.

Code:
void LinkedList::delete(int value){
    LinkedList *traverser = head;
    LinkedList *prev;

while (traverser != NULL){
        if (traverser->getData() == value){
            if (traverser == head){
                head = traverser->next;
                delete traverser;
                return;
            }
            else{
                prev->next = traverser->next;
                delete traverser;
                return;
            }
        }
        else{
            prev = traverser;
            traverser = traverser -> next;
        }

} //end while

} //end delete function

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-12-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Here's what I did for my 'linked list from scratch' when I had to do it last year. Pretty sure it's at least 90% correct, I haven't looked it over recently or anything, this is just a copypaste lol

http://puu.sh/2yI5D

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

One way to impress: if they ask what is the best sorting algorithm is, tell them that the best comparison based sorting algorithms run in O(n*logn) but there exists non-comparison based sorting algorithms that run in linear time (the most popular being radix sort). There's also counting sort which is also O(n) but the coefficient on n and the constant that is dropped is kinda big to the point where its only more efficient than nlogn algorithms if the data set is extremely huge. These non-comparison based algorithms were only briefly acknowledge in my cs class (our professor just let us know of their existence) so someone can correct me if my details are wrong.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

My understanding is that the right sort depends on 1. the framework, 2. the size of the data, 3. other assumptions about that data

For example if you know your list will be close to being sorted, insertion sort or bubble sort may not be a bad idea because for a sorted list, they run in O(n) time. It's just that for randomized lists they tend to run in O(n^2) aka O(shit) time for average and worst cases.

If you know your dataset is massive, then clearly you wouldn't want something that runs in O(n^2) time

Also depends on memory -- some require n extra memory, others only constant memory, so if you're under constraints there, that matters too.

Or maybe if writes are more expensive speed-wise in your framework you wouldn't use insertion sort which is moving shit around all the time. Or if comparisons are more expensive you wouldn't bother with something like selection sort.

Quicksort and radix sort I don't know too much about yet.

EDIT: danceguy: I do know (IIRC) that quicksort's n^2 runtime is worst-case. On average and best case I believe it's n log n time. The n^2 runtime is extremely rare since it'd require that all your elements are pretty much in the exact random order needed to completely mess with the recursive pivoting at each substep -- although I guess this depends on how you choose your pivot?

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-12-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Code:
void LinkedList::delete(int value){
    LinkedList *traverser = head;
    LinkedList *prev;

while (traverser != NULL){
        if (traverser->getData() == value){
            if (traverser == head){
                head = traverser->next;
                delete traverser;
                return;
            }
            else{
                prev->next = traverser->next;
                delete traverser;
                return;
            }
        }
        else{
            prev = traverser;
            traverser = traverser -> next;
        }

} //end while

} //end delete function
sweet. Looks good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
One way to impress: if they ask what is the best sorting algorithm is, tell them that the best comparison based sorting algorithms run in O(n*logn) but there exists non-comparison based sorting algorithms that run in linear time (the most popular being radix sort). There's also counting sort which is also O(n) but the coefficient on n and the constant that is dropped is kinda big to the point where its only more efficient than nlogn algorithms if the data set is extremely huge.
http://programmers.stackexchange.com...sed-more-often

Interestingly enough, Quicksort runs in O(n^2). Big-oh doesn't always tell the whole story.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
sweet. Looks good to me.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com...sed-more-often

Interestingly enough, Quicksort runs in O(n^2). Big-oh doesn't always tell the whole story.
I was just going to edit my post stating that quicksort was O(n^2) haha. Although, I didn't make any conjecture saying that quicksort was the best comparative based algorithm so its not like I lied :P although, quicksort does have an average run time of O(nlogn) (I forgot which Greek letter denotes average time, my bad). And I believe the coefficients/constants are also decent if you consider f(x) where f(x) "=" O(g(x)). Also, I'd say each of the popular sorting algorithms has its pros and cons compared to others, you can only say which one is best depending on the situation imho (ex: merge sort is simple and elegant but uses up a lot more space)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Also, simply memorizing the time efficiencies of common algorithms may not be good enough, you should be able to look at the code yourself and do some analysis to determine the Big-O yourself. Your interviewer may hand you some code and ask you what the worst case time efficiency is.

These are from a simple review quiz I had on my first day of class. If you can do these you should be fine.

Find the Big-O of the following functions / code fragments
Code:
static long Fibonacci(int n) {
    if (n==1||n==2) return 1;
    return Fibonacci(n-2)+Fibonacci(n-1);
}
O(2^n)

Code:
for (int i=0,j=0; i<n; i++)
    for (double d=1; d<n; d*=2)
        j++;
O(n*logn)

Code:
int[] a=new int[n];
for (int i=4;i<n;i++) {
    for (int j=i-3,sum=a[i-4];j<=i;j++)
        sum+=a[j];
}
O(n)

Code:
private static long gcd(long n,long r) {
    if (r==0) return n;
    return gcd(r,n%r);
}
O(log(n))

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Code:
}
Without memoization, I'd say O(2^n). I know there's something called the Master Theorem that can be used for linear recurrences but I haven't learned it yet.

With memoization, O(n)

Code:
        j++;
O(n log n)

Code:
int[] a=new int[n];
for (int i=4;i<n;i++) {
        sum+=a[j];
}
what the fuck this code lol
uhh, O((n-4)*4) = O(4n-16) = O(4n) = O(n)?

Code:
    if (r==0) return n;
    return gcd(r,n%r);
}
mofuggin euclidean algo ftw
and yet I have no idea its runtime. hmmm.
I don't know what the runtime contribution is like for the modulus operation, which in itself can be pretty expensive IME. I'll ignore it.
Overall though I'll just say log n, feels right but I don't know how to really prove that rigorously

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-12-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

responses in bold
Quote:
Code:
}
Without memoization, I'd say O(2^n). I know there's something called the Master Theorem that can be used for linear recurrences but I haven't learned it yet.

With memoization, O(n)

Yeah, O(2^n) is good. You can kind of figure out it by noticing that for each call of the function, you have to recursively call the same function twice.

So say fib(4) took n steps to complete. If you calculate fib(5), you'd have to call fib(4) (which is n steps) and fib(3) (which is about n/2 steps considering half the work for calling fib(4) is in calling fib(3).) So total, it'll take about 3n/2 steps to complete fib(5) compared to the n steps it took for fib(4). We see that it took about 1.5 more steps to complete the algorithm when we increased the data size by 1. This is analogous to about O((1.5)^n) which we can declare 2^n to be an upper bound. (If you go in depth with the fib(n) algorithm, you'll find that a tight bound is O((the golden ratio)^n) or about O(1.618^n) but this takes a lot more analysis to derive.)

Code:
        j++;
O(n log n)

yup

Code:
int[] a=new int[n];
for (int i=4;i<n;i++) {
        sum+=a[j];
}
what the fuck this code lol
uhh, O((n-4)*4) = O(4n-16) = O(4n) = O(n)?

it's ok, that's what I thought when I saw that code too lmfao. Analysis is good though :)

Code:
    if (r==0) return n;
    return gcd(r,n%r);
}
mofuggin euclidean algo ftw
and yet I have no idea its runtime. hmmm.
I don't know what the runtime contribution is like for the modulus operation, which in itself can be pretty expensive IME. I'll ignore it.
Overall though I'll just say log n, feels right but I don't know how to really prove that rigorously

This one is a bit tricky. For the sake of the quiz, I believe that is was assumed that % ran in constant time. Anyways, you can kinda derive this from the division algorithm. The division algorithm states that for any two numbers, a and b, there exists a unique q and r such that a = bq+r where 0<=r<b. Say a>b but b is at least one half of a. Then b can only go into a once and your remainder with be a = b*1+r -> r=a-b < a-(1/2)a = 1/2a so r will be less than (1/2)a if b is greater than 1/2 of a. Consider the case where b is less than 1/2 of a, well, r can only have values up to b so r will still be less than (1/2)a. You can then conclude that your remainder will always at most be (1/2)a. Thus you can kinda see how you are at least "halving" your work with each step of the recursion.

That was a sloppy, half-ass proof that I just came up with off the top of my head (I'm hoping I didn't slip up with some assumption I shouldn't have made.) There's a
more rigorous proof I can find in one of my textbooks but it's a bit confusing and convoluted.

Edit: mofuggin Euclidean algorithm ftw \o/

EDIT2:

ok, I found what I was looking for, for that gcd one.

So, by Euclidiean algorithm, you follow the procedure to find your gcd of (a,b): (assume a>b>0)

a = b*q_1+r_1, 0<r_1<|b|
b = r_1*q_2+r_2, 0<r_2<r_1
r_1 = r_2*q_3+r_3, 0<r_3<r_2
r_(n-2) = r_(n-1)*q_n+r_n, 0< r_n < r_(n-1)
r_(n-1) = r_n*q_(n+1), r_n = gcd(a,b)

It's obvious that the above process takes about n steps if you take each line as a step (or n+/- 1 or 2 or something, but for the sake of big-O, we can just say n for simplification.)

Note for the above process, q_i >= 1 for all i. Also, q_(n+1) >= 2 because r_n < r_(n-1). If q_(n+1) = 1, then that would imply that r_n = r_(n-1) which we can't let happen. We already established that all q_i >=1 so q_(n+1) can't be equal either. So it must be at least 2. From that we have the following:

r_(n-1) >= 2*r_n >= 2 = f_3 (the 3rd Fibonacci number)
r_(n-2) >= r_(n-1)+r_n >= (2)+(1) >= 3 = f_4
r_1 >= r_2+r_3 >= f_n+f_(n-1) = f_(n+1)
b >= r_1+r_2 >= f_(n+1)+f_n = f_(n+2)

So we have that b >= f_(n+2). If you know some of your properties of Fibonacci numbers, you'll find that:
f_n > [(1+sqrt(5))/2]^(n-2) (this would be a whole other proof to show this which I don't feel like going through atm >.<)

Therefore b > [(1+sqrt(5))/2]^(n-2).

You do some fancy manipulation and change of base crap and you end up with n < 5*log(b) (log is base 10)

Since n is the number of steps, we have that the big O is O(5*log(b))

EDIT3: The above proof is known as Lame's Theorem (with an accent mark over the e)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by reuben_tate; 04-12-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I probably would have failed that gcd question had I been asked in a live interview. I would have said log n just because it "felt that way" to me based on my experience, and how modular arithmetic generally cuts things down hardcore, but I think I would have screwed up trying to prove it.

I think I could only do it by talking about it in steps of 2, to go through a full cycle.

So if I am talking about gcd(a,b), after the first step I call gcd(b, a%b), and then once again, so I am really talking about the transformation from

a and b
to
b and a%b
to
a%b and b % (a%b)

So in other words, analyzing the effect of a, b to a%b, b % (a%b)

We know the modulus operation n % m = r is the same as n = mk + r

so a%b = R is the same as a = bK + R
R = a - bK
then b % (a%b) = r is b = (a%b)k + r = (a-bK)k + r
r = b - (a-bK)k = b - ak + bKk = b + bKk - ak = b(1 + Kk) - ak
Now let's say this isn't a trivial case, so K and k are at least 1 each
r = b(1+1) - a
r = 2b-a
a+r = 2b
b = (a+r)/2

and so around this point I would start braining myself with a car battery trying to make the argument that after two iterations of the GCD algorithm, b is of order magnitude of half of what a was or something, and therefore overall it's log a time or something. I have no idea if that math even checks out