Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

View Poll Results: Should D9 be called "Revolutionary"?
Yes, "Revolutionary" is good 34 46.58%
No, I'd prefer another name 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-3-2022, 07:58 PM   #101
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
 
CrashTheBoard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Missouri USA
Age: 26
Posts: 41
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

D1 Beginner
D2 Novice
D3 Intermediate
D4 Adept
D5 Advanced
D6 Expert
D7 Master
D8 Legendary
D9 Godly

Clear progression between stages, titles roll off of the tongue, and it loosely sticks to the old structure.
I like this one quite a bit
CrashTheBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 08:17 AM   #102
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 75 billion club, NE
Age: 30
Posts: 12,630
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

it's neck and neck folks
__________________


rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 09:53 AM   #103
Pretentious
FFR Player
FFR Veteran
 
Pretentious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

no more names, just use the numbers.
Pretentious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 10:05 AM   #104
justin
Event Staff
FFR Event Staff Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile Author
 
justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kingsport, TN
Age: 29
Posts: 128
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

D1 Beginner
D2 Novice
D3 Intermediate
D4 Adept
D5 Advanced
D6 Expert
D7 Master
D8 Legendary
D9 Godly

Clear progression between stages, titles roll off of the tongue, and it loosely sticks to the old structure.
I first thought about Beginner > Novice > Intermediate too, but Beginner and Novice are in essence the same word.

"a person new to or inexperienced in a field or situation."
"a person just starting to learn a skill or take part in an activity."

Those are the definitions for Beginner & Novice, in no particular order -- if you had to place one before the other which would you put first, why, and would it really make sense to have those 2 cover the first 2 of 9 total divisional thresholds for skill?

I don't personally feel like Adept is much better than Competent either, but I don't feel like I need to die on that hill.

I do like that you pulled Guru too though!
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 01:44 PM   #105
Lights
owo
FFR Veteran
 
Lights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 147
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I first thought about Beginner > Novice > Intermediate too, but Beginner and Novice are in essence the same word.

"a person new to or inexperienced in a field or situation."
"a person just starting to learn a skill or take part in an activity."

Those are the definitions for Beginner & Novice, in no particular order -- if you had to place one before the other which would you put first, why, and would it really make sense to have those 2 cover the first 2 of 9 total divisional thresholds for skill?

I don't personally feel like Adept is much better than Competent either, but I don't feel like I need to die on that hill.

I do like that you pulled Guru too though!
I disagree. I feel, contextually, Novice is a step above a Beginner. In my interpretation, a Beginner is someone who just started learning a particular skill. Whereas a Novice is someone with undeveloped skills but is not necessarily brand new to the task. They both mark initial stages of skillset development (which is, imo, what we want), but i feel Beginner distinguishes itself as the newest of the new players. I look at it as No experience vs. minimal experiance.

Adept denotes being skilled, which falls nicely between intermediate and advanced, IMO
__________________
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 03:58 PM   #106
Matthia
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
Matthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pacific Timezone, USA Age: 20.6
Posts: 461
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

D1 - Red
D2 - Blue
D3 - Purple
D4 - Yellow
D5 - Pink
D6 - Orange
D7 - Cyan
D8 - Green
D9 - White


D1 - Novice
D2 - Intermediate
D3 - Advanced
D4 - Skilled
D5 - Expert
D6 - Master
D7 - Legendary
D8 - Mythical
D9 - Godly
__________________



Matthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 04:19 PM   #107
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 75 billion club, NE
Age: 30
Posts: 12,630
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthia View Post
D1 - Red
D2 - Blue
D3 - Purple
D4 - Yellow
D5 - Pink
D6 - Orange
D7 - Cyan
D8 - Green
D9 - White
wait a minute.. he's onto something
__________________


rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 05:49 PM   #108
justin
Event Staff
FFR Event Staff Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile Author
 
justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kingsport, TN
Age: 29
Posts: 128
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthia View Post
D1 - Red
D2 - Blue
D3 - Purple
D4 - Yellow
D5 - Pink
D6 - Orange
D7 - Cyan
D8 - Green
D9 - White
Yo I know this was a joke suggestion but given the ties to the rhythm gaming note color sequence for FFR that is actually quite genius for coloring, even if it doesn't really address the "name" piece. I love it lmao
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2022, 09:04 PM   #109
Toxicity783
FFR Player
 
Toxicity783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Age: 18
Posts: 40
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretentious View Post
no more names, just use the numbers.
Life could be a dream
__________________
Toxicity783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2022, 04:06 AM   #110
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran
 
PaperclipGames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 29
Posts: 647
Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthia View Post
D1 - Red
D2 - Blue
D3 - Purple
D4 - Yellow
D5 - Pink
D6 - Orange
D7 - Cyan
D8 - Green
D9 - White
Not gonna lie, I love this.
__________________

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2022, 08:11 AM   #111
xXDeltaXx
FFR Player
FFR Veteran
 
xXDeltaXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts,USA
Age: 28
Posts: 929
Send a message via AIM to xXDeltaXx
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

I agree, the visuals that colors provide to the leaderboard/progression are more important than titles to me.

I know FFR wants to be unique and "historical" with term usage, but there's a reason a lot of games use gems/metals and their associated colors as cutoffs. The names and colors work well with visual progression and are easier to distinguish than unique naming conventions.

In my opinion, I like Matthia's note color suggestion since its true to FFR and if you really wanted to add titles, associate each color with a gem/metal or a similar categorical naming convention.

My two cents if it helps.
__________________
Leaving profile/sig the same for nostaglia apologize in advance for the profile lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Co-hosted Delta & Micky's 1st Themed Tournament

Tournament Results:
1st Place Finishes: 5
2nd Place Finishes: 3
3rd Place Finishes: 2
xXDeltaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2022, 10:48 AM   #112
Dragolord
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author
 
Dragolord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 20
Posts: 11
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

matthia's "joke" suggestion is actually p good lmao
tho preferably the less saturated version of those colors other than white

I'm not too sure about division names bc it's never something I really took notice or cared about(?) - was more of a "that's cool" and move on sort of thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring here.

D1 Beginner
D2 Novice
D3 Intermediate
D4 Adept
D5 Advanced
D6 Expert
D7 Master
D8 Legendary
D9 Godly

Clear progression between stages, titles roll off of the tongue, and it loosely sticks to the old structure.
I like this one so far but Adept seems so out of place to me idk why

beginner -> novice -> intermediate seems fine to me even tho beginner/novice literally mean the same thing ( maybe it's bc novice sounds fancier )
Dragolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2022, 02:34 PM   #113
FlynnMac
FFR's Gambling Addict
Just here
Event StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
FlynnMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 19
Posts: 503
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

what if it was just

D1 - Beginner
D2 - Beginner 2
D3 - Beginner 3
D4 - Beginner 4
D5 - Beginner 5
D6 - Beginner 6
D7 - Beginner 7
D8 - Beginner 8
D9 - Beginner 9
__________________
FlynnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2022, 03:22 PM   #114
Lights
owo
FFR Veteran
 
Lights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 147
Default Re: Leaderboard D9 new name and color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragolord View Post
matthia's "joke" suggestion is actually p good lmao
tho preferably the less saturated version of those colors other than white

I'm not too sure about division names bc it's never something I really took notice or cared about(?) - was more of a "that's cool" and move on sort of thing



I like this one so far but Adept seems so out of place to me idk why

beginner -> novice -> intermediate seems fine to me even tho beginner/novice literally mean the same thing ( maybe it's bc novice sounds fancier )
I've stated below the contextual difference between beginner and novice in terms of the ordering for the divisional names- i think theres enough distinction for the ordering to work out fine here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I disagree. I feel, contextually, Novice is a step above a Beginner. In my interpretation, a Beginner is someone who just started learning a particular skill. Whereas a Novice is someone with undeveloped skills but is not necessarily brand new to the task. They both mark initial stages of skillset development (which is, imo, what we want), but i feel Beginner distinguishes itself as the newest of the new players. I look at it as No experience vs. minimal experiance.
As for adept, its the most succinct word I could think of that would fall between Intermediate and Advanced- referring to being "skilled" at a task.
__________________

Last edited by Lights; 08-5-2022 at 03:24 PM..
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution