Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 08-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: do you ever just play rhythm games in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFP_D0pey View Post
tl;dr - i played rhythm game at school and made people go wow :0
All the people that go 'wow :0' are keepers as friends, all the people that go 'you just memorized the whole thing' & 'I can do that after some practice' or 'naw you're hacking/cheating' are not.

Heads up advice from someone that also did this in school.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 08-14-2021 at 01:17 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #22
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

I remember playing on the bus. Wasn't comfortable at all but no one really noticed.

I've also charted a couple files on the subway to/from work + while at work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #23
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
All the people that go 'wow :0' are keepers as friends, all the people that go 'you just memorized the whole thing' & 'I can do that after some practice' or 'naw you're hacking/cheating' are not.

Heads up advice from someone that also did this in school.
I dont even get how people think like this. Like, you REALLY expect me to memorize a freaking JS file??? It's not impossible to memorize a easier map (ahem piguy314159) but for stuff closer to a person's skill level its nearly impossible

bitch i cant even remember what i had for lunch yesterday do you really expect me to remember a whole chart

And why the heck would anybody try to hack on FFR or SM???????? It's a waste of time

Last edited by ToonE156; 08-14-2021 at 02:47 PM..
ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #24
Matthia
🍍Pineapple Man🍍
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Played in school computer lab like once or twice, just got reactions that are nothing out of the ordinary, the usual 'wow that is insane' or 'he is really good at that game'. Reactions coming from the internet though is skewed in such a way that seems to lead into mostly joking around about it or coming up with an unoriginal humorous comment that grabs more attention, because the system(s) incentivizes people to do such (farming youtube likes/reddit upvotes/etc.) will reward them and make their responses float to the top of the comment section, leaving the rest (some of which may be 'ordinary reactions' like the ones I got in the computer lab) lost in the ocean of comments

Matthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #25
FFP_D0pey
FFR Player

ive had fun reading these stories lol also arcades dont count grrr

Last edited by FFP_D0pey; 08-16-2021 at 10:44 AM..
FFP_D0pey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Here's how my messed up brain works:

Doing anything in public means you're putting on a performance. You're putting yourself out there to be judged by an audience. It's for this reason that I usually avoid playing in front of people, unless I feel it's the right audience or occasion.

I'm imagining a viral video of a man sitting at a piano in a busy mall struggling through chopsticks or something and people are pointing and giggling at him... and then without warning.... *DUN* he bangs out the opening chord to Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, and as his left hand dances down the keys the giggles quickly turn into gasps. Before long a crowd has gathered, cell phones are out and recording the event. Then just as the final notes ring out the man's smile lights up triumphantly and the whole crowd erupts into raucous applause!!

Man would I love to be alive for something similar to happen with a rhythm gamer...I think we're a long ways off there lol

Another example: talent show, there's varying levels of success here I'd say, which is impressive for a video game imo

Try substituting other video games in place of rhythm games for this. Are there any other games that people would find more entertaining to watch at a high level than a rhythm game? The only one that comes to mind for me is Tetris.

Last edited by Dynam0; 08-16-2021 at 10:51 AM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #27
evanescence_death4ever
where'sTHEdrain?!
FFR Veteran

It's always interesting when you have a cab that isn't at an arcade (for example, the cab in this video used to be at a bar/restaurant that had a video game focus, then was moved to an "esports" place).

Video of me playing an ITG (in the groove) 13. ~four panel dance game ~

When it was at the bar (years ago), I would spend 15ish hours a week there (not on busy nights), usually showing up in workout clothes, a towel, etc. If I ever went on an event night (cosplay night/halloween/nothing but clothes party), I would dress up (for example, nothing but clothes party night, I made an outfit out of a garbage bag & two ribbons, wore a silver wig, platforms, etc), no one would recognize me, and sometimes I'd get to challenge an unsuspecting fella to a vs game. Let's say that never went well for anyone else

(Video for reference, ITG 13, Vanishing Point)

By the way, I don't recommend playing dance games in a plastic bag. Very sweaty ^0^/

Below images for contrast to the normal "dance game player" look. Wore these things to the bar, still played dance games, fooled some unsuspecting folk

I guess if it's worth anything, my highest ITG pass is one 15, OceanLab Megamix, which is just 15 minutes straight of 140BPM 16ths. Other than that, I'd say I max at 14's. No where near my friends, not even competitive in the dance game scene, but I'm ok with that.

Anywho, people crowded around on the busy nights, but I usually went on slow nights, since I was just there to work out/eat tasty food. Goal for the norm wasn't to get extra attention, but of course you're going to get the "wtf wow how do your feet move so fast" factor. That said, usually people would just ask "wow how long have you been playing" and occasionally the drunk dude who would stand right next to the cab screen and be like WOAH OMG CAN YOU KEEP GOING IF I PUT MY HAND HERE.

Anywho, dance games -- thumbs up. Good stuff.

#charu4president2016

"Life is always downhill, everyone is heading towards death every day. It's up to you to look for the hills you can climb up instead
Or something
I just made that up but it sounds good" ~alloyus~

Last edited by evanescence_death4ever; 08-28-2021 at 09:56 PM..
evanescence_death4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #28
evanescence_death4ever
where'sTHEdrain?!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Here's how my messed up brain works:

Doing anything in public means you're putting on a performance. You're putting yourself out there to be judged by an audience. It's for this reason that I usually avoid playing in front of people, unless I feel it's the right audience or occasion.

I'm imagining a viral video of a man sitting at a piano in a busy mall struggling through chopsticks or something and people are pointing and giggling at him... and then without warning.... *DUN* he bangs out the opening chord to Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, and as his left hand dances down the keys the giggles quickly turn into gasps. Before long a crowd has gathered, cell phones are out and recording the event. Then just as the final notes ring out the man's smile lights up triumphantly and the whole crowd erupts into raucous applause!!

Man would I love to be alive for something similar to happen with a rhythm gamer...I think we're a long ways off there lol

Another example: talent show, there's varying levels of success here I'd say, which is impressive for a video game imo

Try substituting other video games in place of rhythm games for this. Are there any other games that people would find more entertaining to watch at a high level than a rhythm game? The only one that comes to mind for me is Tetris.
I think for dance games *specifically* (not other rhythm games), your comparison to the piano/mall situation has happened, or could very likely be pulled off, if cabs were located in more "regular" spots.

For example, as I mentioned in my post, I trolled a few folks in a similar way (playing like level 3-4 in ITG with them in versus, kind of stumbling, missing notes), then picking an 11 next song (which, is not a high difficulty, but for someone who has never played dance games/or for a super casual, it's like throwing them back to when Max 300 was considered "hard").

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if friends (who play ITG 18's-25's...even the disgusting 26's), have trolled people in public similarly, as ITG cabs often were not exclusive to arcades (similar to finding random DDR cab's lying around).

#charu4president2016

"Life is always downhill, everyone is heading towards death every day. It's up to you to look for the hills you can climb up instead
Or something
I just made that up but it sounds good" ~alloyus~
evanescence_death4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:11 AM   #29
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I've drawn a crowd or two in my day

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #30
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I think I did it a few times in high school but that was about it.

For the most part, I really hate doing things that draw attention to myself in public.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #31
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I used to play at my college's cafeteria/break room. Had a few people tell me how good that combo was and what not. Shame nobody watched me unlock Oni though as that's where I got it.

Nowadays I'm not as mobile when it comes to playing VSRG's. Most I do is tell FB friends I'm streaming fiffer on twitch and a person or two would come in to watch me suck. They haven't yet reminded me to play in front of them when they come over. Perhaps next week I'll play a few games in front of them.

There IS a gaming café here. One day I'll overcome anxiety and show up and maybe show off some Etterna or FFR or something. It'd be more about getting people from my area into VSRG's more than myself showing off. :P

"You too can be a D6 guru!"

Last edited by badman7772; 08-30-2021 at 01:52 PM..
badman7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:26 AM   #32
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

I guess as a sports person and generally competitive soul, I love playing in front of other people. Since a majority of my friends don't do the rhythm gaming thing it's always fun to bring them to an arcade or play at a house party and wow people who haven't seen me play when everyone is drinking/chilling. Gets some fun reactions for a little bit, then people move on, such is life.

I love when people really get into it and request certain songs/genres as it pushes me to actually play well for the audience.

Craziest story is at one of my local arcades we have an ITG2 Cab and often-times an entire Jewish community will bring busloads of people to mostly take over the arcade, as well as some schools and camps during summers. I've had upwards of 50 kids-teens and their parents/guardians/counselors watching me at times in the past, it gets pretty insane but is always a good time.

Standard questions include:
"How long have you been playing?"
"Can you play the hardest song in the game?"
"Do you have THIS song?"
etc.

Good times.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:12 PM   #33
KillerScythe0
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I used to play a bunch in the commons and after class in high school. Played a bit in the halls of community college. In-person classes are finally back for big boi college, and have been thinking if I have time from doing homework and projects to sit in the CS lounge and play a bit just to see if anyone else has played FFR.

Best AAA: Child Protective Services Theme Song [Heavy] [63]
Best Blackflag: Mirrorball Airride 2012 [65]
Best SDG:Crimson Flood [70]
Best FC: JULIA [76]

10th OT - D1 - 6th
11th OT - D3 - 22nd
14th OT - D3 - 2nd

KillerScythe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2021, 12:59 PM   #34
Zeldagurlfan1
FFR Player

One time I had a Karen tell me to stop gaming FFR and proceeded to explain lengthy explanation to probably hide why she doesnt own a pair of headphones still. Unfortunately for her, us Scene Kids back then were assholes so I kept playing.

Plus, I played SOO much DDR at home and in arcades that it doesnt phase me if people see me game rhythm games. If youre not over the embarassment of playing DDR in public, then you didnt live it out to the fullest. Whether i try out new files or replay old ones i mastered out of muscle memory; for me, if anything, it's awesome! i dont mind the attention during ddr sessions. i earned it at this point.
Zeldagurlfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2021, 01:07 PM   #35
Zeldagurlfan1
FFR Player

If you have nerves over gaming in public, just know this game exists.

My friend sent me this one:
Motion censored Jpop dancing in a Mall
https://youtu.be/LkJ_lBFmkSI

Ended up in a rabbit hole:
Id so try this shit if i could dance :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya_z...1%95%E3%82%93-

Last edited by Zeldagurlfan1; 09-1-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Zeldagurlfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2021, 01:47 PM   #36
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

ITG, NUFF said.

katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2021, 04:02 PM   #37
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

i used to a lot
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2021, 10:14 PM   #38
Akaunei
FFR Veteran

"People like you are the reason i stopped playing Roblox FNF"
Akaunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-6-2021, 08:04 AM   #39
melonpapes
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioamor View Post
yeah i kinda came here to post this lol i was playing rhythm games in public with no shame when i was like 8
Old 10-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #40
Tantive72
Horse
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tantive72 Send a message via Yahoo to Tantive72 Send a message via Skype™ to Tantive72

I used to play FFR in my high school photography class while I was waiting for my film to develop. It was years ago now, but I remember my teacher being interested in my FFR playing lol.

i have a website now too:
https://codenametostr.com/

Until next time, have a happy BEAT PLAY LIFE

Last edited by Tantive72; 10-17-2021 at 09:39 AM..
Tantive72 is offline   Reply With Quote