Old 07-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
KLiTz
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default VSYNC or not to VSYNC

Goldstinger made a thread about correcting lag spikes in FFR.

For reference, I WAS playing VSYNC ON ------- 144FPS on a 144HZ monitor and I kept getting these weird frameskips where even if I felt like I was going to nail a step, BOOM ITS A GOOD.

I followed the steps in the guide, setting priority of FFR, logging out of MP etc. Also suggested was to turn on/off VSYNC as one of the steps.

Well, sure enough it considerably helped my PA. Like, a lot. Id love to have the same results on my original settings, HOWEVER, the frames are choppier than the grill at your local Hibachi restaurant and its really messing with my eyes.

Is anyone else having this issue or any other suggestions OUTSIDE of what was mentioned in the guide. Also, it was mentioned to switch to the HYBRID version? I was looking around and I havent seen any info on how exactly to switch versions. Maybe I can get away with VSYNC on and buttery smooth note flow in the other version.
KLiTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #2
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: VSYNC or not to VSYNC

i use the OT 1.0.1 and use 240 frames in the game, vsync off
if you're using 144 fps it might be beneficial to just crank it up to 240 fps and let your gpu drop the extra frames or w/e
Old 07-23-2021, 03:44 AM   #3
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLiTz View Post
Is anyone else having this issue or any other suggestions OUTSIDE of what was mentioned in the guide. Also, it was mentioned to switch to the HYBRID version? I was looking around and I havent seen any info on how exactly to switch versions. Maybe I can get away with VSYNC on and buttery smooth note flow in the other version.
Hybrid version is available alongside the Normal version download link on the download page for FFR (it's on the right side). It's made with a different, older compiler that may be better for lag on specific hardware, but due to the age of it, it doesn't have a vsync option, so it is permanently stuck to its default, ON.

I still hold to my opinion that you should only use Hybrid if you absolutely need to. If you get coke lines (horizontal lines of note judges on the results page accuracy graph) with vsync on, then you should not use the Hybrid version. The vsync option being OFF is a feature exclusive to the Normal version of the engine, and problems there can be resolved with a little bit of elbow grease, as you mentioned.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll make sure to update my lag/stuttering post so people know where to find the Hybrid version, in-case they missed it on their initial download.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 07-23-2021 at 03:54 AM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Untimely Friction
D6 Challeneged
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I corrected lag spikes by just using 0.0.8 original at 59 fps. Old school best school. Hybrid did a lot for me when I had a potato, and used a lot of my own feedback on my potato specs. It was genuinely better on my low spec machine at 59 or higher fps.

Having upgraded my pc though, 0.0.8 is the only stable version again. It's pretty weird. I firmly believe versions after 0.0.8 have new issues that cause "sync bounces" if you will.

At the end of the day in so many setups I find vsync adds weird polling issues, which are absolutely unacceptable in terms of trying to play accurately at any kind of higher speed.
Untimely Friction is offline   Reply With Quote