View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #18
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: are most thoughts useful or useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
i've been debating this internally for a while. my opinion is that most thoughts are useless and therefore shouldn't be outputted unless you wanna waste your or other people's time
Thoughts are actually just a piece of the puzzle that fuel your entire daily life.
Thoughts are useful.
Thoughts will waste your and others time.
Thoughts will also help you move forward with everything.

Quote:
i feel like there has to be a way to discuss this, even if imprecisely (i.e. there should be a generally agreed upon value for some things/thoughts/ideas)
Here's the framework of thoughts if you put all the pieces together:
---
Event -> Observation -> Filter -> Thinking@Thoughts+(Core Values) -> Decision.
---
An Event is something that happens that is considered a fact.
Observation is putting yourself into a context.
Filtering is taking your life experience/beliefs and drawing your own picture of how you perceive what is happening. (this is different depending on who you are because otherwise everyone would think the same thing)
Thinking is simply organizing information based on what you see, what you know and what could be relevant based on your experience in general.
Core values are the fundamental beliefs of a person. It defines how you will take action after you think about something.
Decision is mostly taking action to reflect everything else you did before that point. It can be frustrating if you're not decisive, but you'll get there with practice hopefully. (shoutouts to second guessing)
---
Example:

Funny gets on Flash Flash Revolution. This is an event.
Funny observes the thread "are most thoughts useful or useless"
Funny filters the information given to her by the other users who are posting in the thread.
Funny thinks about what she's going to post.
Funny decides to post something.
---

tl;dr: You guys are overthinking "thinking" because it's just a part of a bigger mechanism which is the entire decision making of a person.

Most thoughts are useful because they help you draw a picture of the current reality which will help you understand what you should do about what's around you to reach your goal.

So, the more you think, research, ask others or even a group about what you want; the more likely you are to get a full understanding of what you're looking for without bias.

I wouldn't be surprised if thinking also had mental health benefits because it may feed creativity and open the door to enjoying your life more by asking yourself the right questions to potentially reach new positive situations.

Quote:
wow im very unobservant. sorry haku. i just didnt notice you turned 30
It's okay, I'm going to pretend you didn't notice that you noticed I turned 30.

Quote:
i get my flaw here is assuming that a thing's value is fixed and contextually independent.
A thing's value is fixed.
A thing's value is dependant of the person.
A person's view of the thing is independant and may change over time.

tl;dr overall:

- Thoughts are useful because they are part of a bigger mechanism that is your decision making which is really important in life.
- It can be influenced by yourself, others or both at same time.
- Everything you think about matters because you decided to invest time thinking about it.
- You wouldn't invest time thinking about something that doesn't matter to you because it doesn't matter to you.
- If you invested time thinking about something that doesn't matter to you, it means you decided to place value into it therefore it's no longer something that doesn't matter to you.
- Useless thoughts would be thoughts that you decided to discard because they were no longer relevant to your reality. Every other thoughts would be meaningful/useful.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 04-20-2019 at 06:32 AM..