View Single Post
Old 01-4-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: MAX Forever [8 or 9]

It is hands down a 9 but it is nearly ingrained into us that it is the cutoff for all 8's; and I accept that, since it being a low 9 technically puts it above all 8's ever, it being the ultimate 8 does the same job. It's the same thing by a different name, highest 8 ever or one of the lowest 9's. Frankly, I'm used to it at an 8 and I think it's a good symbol of the wall to overcome. I view 9's as the starting point for technical FFR playing, because that's when the files really put on their technical hats (Divinity, Tori no Uta, long stream files and tricky jumpstream start appearing here as well).

Using Max Forever as the boundary between the peak of casual playing and the beginning of technical playing has always seemed like a good idea. Casual playing in my eyes is being able to do straight, simple, readable, comfortable patterns, but of varying speed and length. Max Forever takes simple patterns in stream and jump and says 'so you've think you've mastered it? Here's a marathon testing all you've learned, how long can you last?'.

And if you make it, it's like restarting at a slightly easier level that tests different skills and develops them. Like how a boss song in (earlier) DDR games on standard may be harder than low heavy's, but it's a nice barrier between the two before you start learning heavy files and the technicality they throw at you (like how crossovers and gallops used to be near non existent in standard charts)
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)