Thread: Frame Fix Log
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #87
Pizza69
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Frame Fix Log

On the topic of frame-fixes, I'd like to advocate for erring on the side of conservatism--certain charts have been framefixed *too* much, notably Stress Free Style (the 12th jacks, which are equivalent to nearly 200bpm 16ths, getting nerfed uniformly to 3-framers) and the jumptrill triplets in Fante and JSB (which got spaced out to the point that they're essentially just weird 12th jumptrills). I'm seeing some echoes of that again here. I didn't comment on it before because I don't really care too much and undoing it is far more trouble than it's worth, but I wasn't really a fan of removing all the 2-framers in Fox Tales--it's 174, so nearly half the 16th jacks should convert as 2-framers, and removing *all* of them feels strange to me, which is why I suggested only removing the problematic ones, i.e. the ones in the mini-trills.

Subaru's request for The Nature of Dying seems in this spirit as well. It's 171, so some 2-framers are expected--it seems unreasonable to me to remove *all* of them. The 3-note jacks pointed out are 180bpm post-conversion, which is not an unreasonable speed to approximate them by--certainly it's closer than 150, which they would be post-framefixes. The suggestion at Note 819 is fair, because that pattern is actually made significantly more difficult by being a 2-framer than a straight-up minijack without the jump, so turning it into a 3-framer is likely much closer to how it's meant to be played. The 4-note jack at 893 is actually already as good as it gets--that can't be framefixed out. Of course, it sounds like Subaru's been in contact with Xel, so obviously the will of the actual stepartist overrides all else.

But yeah, in summary, I recommend being sparing with framefixes and only doing them where a pattern really got messed up by conversion or at the will of the stepartist.