View Single Post
Old 10-1-2016, 04:06 PM   #101
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Re: Make Stepmania Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I guess I just don't see it because there is only so much you can do. If the person isn't already getting into the game the first few days, then you can pretty much bet that they probably won't play it regularly or try to be on a higher tier of play. You can take the horse to water, but you can't make the horse drink.
I personally think we're currently not bringing the horse to water though, we're more bringing the horse to the middle of NY and saying "yeah there's some ponds and rivers and such, enjoy the water!", which is good for some horses but some horses might need a taxi or something, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I know you didn't literally say that you weren't trying to prove anything, but it kind does in some sense. If someone is already an Osu player, you kind of have to prove why this game is better - that way, you have successfully got someone else into the community; however, if someone has never touched a rhythm game in their life, then you have to hope the person has a good enough experience to stick around.
I think it's silly to attempt to conquer the pissing contest of which is the superior rhythm game. I guess it could be argued doing this is implicitly attempting to convince people that stepmania is superior, but I think it's more just to enhance the game as a whole on it's own; if it ends up making the game seem superior, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Evans View Post
Stepmania was a hell to setup at first if i didn't go around and asking top SM players from osumania pm's, while i left stepmania for a while because of how i got frustrated at not knowing the difficulties, i went back to osumania and played animu songs that has a (bad but works) difficulty system, i would have probably stayed at stepmania if i knew what packs are the type of difficulty i'm catered towards to, i would probably

stayed there before i returned to the game a year later, but if i haven't played osumania and didn't get tempted to play the game again and had tons of peoples help setting it up again, and i was a completely new player, i would have probably not come back to stepmania
This wouldn't be the case for many other players but i'm basing this off of my experience with finding this game.

Please don't derail this thread by calling me bs, i'm just really lazy making a third video after i fucked up three of them.
That's exactly what I'm thinking; the setup being confusing to some and difficulties being arbitrary act as quite the deterrent I'd say. Why did you get tempted to play again though? This kind of thing is valuable to really figure out what draws people in.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote