View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: New Build, halp!

Built my PC about 4 years ago. Still in it's original configuration and still going strong today. I don't exactly stress it much, but it still runs fine for stuff like TF2, or the stupid little indie games I buy and forget about and then find in my Steam catalogue and install and then don't like

Spent about CDN$1200 when it was new, i5-2500k OC'd on stock fan to 3.9, Gigiabyte z68 motherboard, 8gb ram, good power supply, decent case, and comparatively skimped on the video card, which is the only upgrade I should need to make for quite some time to come. Maybe some more ram would be nice though...

Thing is, I can do that. I can buy parts and throw them in and have them work. That's why you build your own. You have room to add in more ram, or a better video card, or another video card, or more hard drive space. You might not necessarily have that with a pre-built. Plus you get to choose what the box looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzas View Post
I am not against buying a pre-built computer or making my own, I've heard pros and cons from both so i need a little swaying on where to go.
Don't be scared of building your own. Think of it as a big expensive lego kit with like 8 pieces. You only need a screwdriver to put it together. It's easier when you know what to expect going in though.

A good place to read up is /r/buildapc. Also Youtube. There are a lot of people with videos up where you can see a computer being built. I'm partial to Carey Holzman and any of his "how to build a computer" videos.

Don't cheap out on the power supply, and don't forget your motherboard standoffs. You'll be fine.

Last edited by trumaestro; 06-28-2016 at 12:37 PM..
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote