View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127
Default Re: Official FFR Keyboard Review/Discussion Thread

Official Reviews

Logitech K120

Overall: Looks like you basic standard keyboard, fairly nice size to it. Keys are about mid height so nothing too bulky. Good if you are urgently in need of a new keyboard and are low on cash.

Gameplay: Your typical membrane keyboard, but this one really didnt play too well. May be because I didnt let it break in enough, but overall it just wasnt a good play. Couldnt really ask much from it though given the price, but if you arent picky about how a keyboard plays I guess this one will hold you over for a low price.

Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Overall: This keyboard looked neat hence why I decided to give it a shot. Decent keyboard, but I personally wasnt too fond of it. The keyboard itself is not too thick, but the wristpad (non removable) attached to it is fairly steep. Comes with red back lighting that is adjustable, but still seems pretty dim even on its highest setting. The F1-F12, print screen, scroll lock, pause break, and escape keys are all extremely tiny which is annoying, especially the escape key. The keyboard and keys all have a glossy finish to it which may be a negative to some. It includes six macro keys with a setting to switch between sets, so you have 18 programmable macro keys to use as well as media keys and a record button to record keystrokes for your macro keys.

Gameplay: Couldnt get used to this keyboard, the glossy finish was kind of a hassle to play on, and the membrane switches on this are not the best when playing FFR. Would be a nice keyboard for someone of a lower skill, but as you become more advanced of a player, this is not a keyboard that would be good to use. Upside to this keyboard is it can register up to 26 keys at one time, so pretty much every setup can be mapped on it.

Razer Lycosa

Overall: This keyboard has a nice look to it and the blue backlit keys are a nice touch to have, especially since they have different lighting modes such as full lighting, no lighting, only lighting the ASWD keys, etc. The media touch pad on the top right corner of the keyboard is a pretty sweet feature as well. This is not the mirror edition, so the keys have a rubber coating on them. Comes with a detachable wrist pad which is always a good option to have. Overall not too bad of a keyboard to have if you are a casual gamer or want a cool keyboard sitting on your desk to use.

Gameplay: I used this keyboard for a decent amount of time and at first it wasnt too bad to use, but over time I started to not want to use it. The rubber coated keys can be a hassle to play with especially on hard songs imo and that rubber coating wears off after awhile, so you will have a good amount of blank blue lit keys. When some of the keys got broken in pretty good they didnt seem to play so well, so had to switch setups quite a bit. From what I remember (since I gave away this keyboard), this keyboard had trouble getting some setups to work due to ghosting issues. So if you can deal with your setup possibly not working and arent too worried about rubber coated keys/membrane switches, this keyboard wouldnt be too bad for a casual player.

Logitech Illuminated

Overall: This keyboard was one I wanted the moment I saw it. It looks great with the backlit keys, clear rim around the outside, very slim keyboard overall, media/back lighting controls, and has a slight wrist pad on it. Some minor things I didnt like such as some of the keys not being backlit, the bottom row keys being elevated higher than the rest of the keys, and the LED's for num/cap/scroll lock being located under the number pad, but nothing really that would make one not want to at least give this a try. I kind of like to look at this keyboard as the mechanical keyboard for flat keyboards. For a scissor switch keyboard this one holds up pretty well. The keys kind of have a fragile feeling to them, but when typing its not really noticeable.

Gameplay: This is a very nice keyboard to play on and certainly pars up with the other top slim keyboard to play with. As mentioned before the keys kind of have a fragile feel to them, but you adjust to it after a bit. This keyboard is very nice for speed as well as warming up. Not to fond of it for jacks because for some reason it doesnt seem to function well with them. I would probably play on this keyboard more often if it didnt give me wrist issues for whatever reason, but I do recommend it for those looking for a very good quality keyboard to play on and have for casual use.

Logitech UltraX

Overall: Fairly simple looking keyboard, nice black/silver color scheme, and some media keys at the top. Pretty slim keyboard overall, nice laptop style keys.

Gameplay: This is probably one of my favorite keyboards to use. One of few keyboards that is pretty comfortable for overall play of any skill. Good for speed, nice for jacks, vibrating, etc. The keys are pretty solid and have nice keytaps when playing. I wish this model wasnt discontinued, would like to get another one due to my current having issues. The other model is pretty much the same thing, just a different look to the keyboard and has a PS/2 port instead of USB, but if you can get a hold of either model of this keyboard I really recommend it for FFR.

Kensington Slimtype

Overall: Pretty small keyboard if you are worried about space, the arrow keys are pretty small which could be an issue. Keyboard includes some media keys at the top as well as a sleep button for the computer which is pretty nice. Good keyboard for the price (if you can find one) and good on space.

Gameplay: This keyboard is one of my favorites just because of the keytaps. Playing wise though it is a solid keyboard, nice sturdy keys, and good for playing MA songs. I eventually ran into issues when using it for endurance or heavier songs, but really wasnt an issue when I used it as my main playing keyboard. Decent on jacks, faster jacks and vibrajacks a little iffy, but its a pretty good keyboard for the price they were selling at.

Razer Blackwidow

Overall: The keyboard itself is pretty big and has some weight to it which helps it not move around on you. Came with Cherry MX Blue mechanical keys which are really nice for typing due to the clicky sound and small amount of effort needed when pressing a key. I did have some issues with some of the switches jamming up even when the key had never been used before, so quality wise it didnt really impress me too much. Not all that bad though if looking for a lower end mechanical for casual use.

Gameplay: Even though I am not fond of this keyboard I still end up using it to play at times. The Cherry Mx Blue switches are really nice for MA style charts, charts that are more simple and straightforward. My Issues came as I got into harder charts. It may be because the keyboard doesnt fit my playing style, but it seemed like the blue switches do not like half assed key presses such as when the key is already pressed down, it doesnt like to register until you basically fully lift up then press again. This becomes a problem on like quick mini jacks, fast jacks, and faster songs if you dont quite have the speed for them. Overall its a decent playing keyboard, only complaint other than my dislike of the blue switches was the durability after playing on it for some time. Switches started to jam up and not work.

Last edited by Plan_Bsk81127; 12-28-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote