View Single Post
Old 08-2-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

Updating the first post with a new Warmen file! I'll leave all the general comments about the file here.

There were quite a few challenges when it came to stepping this file. The first being the intro. There were a total of 23 notes played at the beginning before the groove starts, and trying to make that transition as smooth as possible was tedious. I decided to go with two groups of 5, a group of 4, and three groups of 3, to make my life just a little easier. It looks neat and it definitely flows well.

The next challenge was the guitar and keyboard solo. I wanted to make them different in style of how the notes were laid out. So I went with how each solo sort of felt. They keyboard solos for the most part have very quirky looking patterns that are very fun to hit, while the guitar have very nice and straightforward patterns that are really pleasing to the eye and are nice to hit as well.

In regards to the bass guitar solo, its so bloody difficult to step bass guitar accurately, so there are probably mistakes in that solo in some of the fast licks. I tried to go with whatever felt right to the ear, so its nothing to hard.

You'll be surprised to know that there really isn't any baq12 syndrome outside of the solos. Shocking right? I tried avoiding that as much as possible by changing the tempo from certain points to where it would sync as constant triplets, that way it would look good and feel good to play rather than be awkward. I used that method quite a lot on the drum solo, which is what I'll be talking about next.

Finally, the damn drum solo. This was by far the hardest part. Syncing this was an absolute bitch. I decided to not make this a complete rainbow fest here and went with stepping it as accurate as I can without having to resort to rainbow notes, and what resulted was a very tedious time of having to change the tempo constantly. In the second half of the solo, there were measures where I had to change the tempo on every single note, and they weren't like 8th notes or 4ths, they were 16th notes. Yeah.... that took some time there. The solo came out really well though. Feels amazing to play. Probably one of the best parts I've ever stepped.

Overall, its a really challenging and super fun file. Perhaps one of my best files in recent years (though I haven't had too many releases since ODIpack3). Hope you enjoy it! Stay tuned for more files to come soon!