View Single Post
Old 07-7-2018, 04:57 PM   #43
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Entropy Gain for per-receptor NPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeLucien View Post
I'd need to experiment with it to get a definitive answer. I can see the value in having something like that, but it would be difficult to separate actual spikes/bursts from just natural variance in patterns (take a staircase for example: there are gaps of 5 notes between every left arrow, but only 1 between (some) down or up arrows, so the down/up arrows look much harder than the left/right arrows, and this could produce odd results for a difficulty change rate value. Would probably have to look at average difficulty over a short period of notes and use that to determine the difficulty change rate.
I'm not sure, why would you want to seperate those ? It would help me understand if you defined spikes as opposed to natural variance. Lets say we use the distance metric and focus on the up arrow of a long staircase: that receptor is now essentially receiving minijacks of 2 notes (seperated by 1 note on right) every 4 notes. The rate of change can then be computed like this:

up, ,up, , , ,up, ,up
__, ,0 , , , ,-2, ,2

vs

ri, , , ,ri, , , ,ri, , , ,ri
_, , , ,0, , , ,0, , , ,0

(changes between 0 and 1 have been normalized to the opposite of their inverse: 0.5 => 2 => -2)

Takes a minimum of 3 notes to have a variation in distance. While it's true that the average is the same (0), you could maybe take the range between the minimum negative value (biggest deceleration) and the maximum positive value (biggest acceleration).

Deceleration doesn't affect difficulty, don't forget that this is a per-receptor metric. A file starts at 0 difficulty with 0 notes. If you put a jack at x speed, then after a few notes its speed changes to x/2, the only problem is going from 0 speed to x speed, not from x to x/2. Gradual acceleration/deceleration aren't considered in this but you can get a primitive for it using this same concept. So, for the example of the staircase, if we discard the negative values, we get a max range of 2 on up and down, and a max range of 0 on left and right. And you dont aggregate those in any way because the min/max on each receptor is important.

Does that cover the type of example you had in mind, Renegade ?
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote