View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
Gilly G
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: So I'm going spread..

I played index for nearly one year, during which I attempted to switch to spread twice. The first attempt failed because of frustration. The second attempt (which happened to be 3 months later) was a bit better, I stuck to it, improved quickly, and it became natural very quickly.

The only tips I can give are stick to it no matter what, it may seem very awkward at first, you may make mistakes, but you will adapt with time. It will take some people more or less time, but you will improve if you stick to it.

At the very beginning, play songs with one arrow at a time, maybe a few jumps here and there, maybe try extremely slow stream, keep it very simple at first. You'll have trouble adapting to a new playing style if you start too difficult too quickly because too many arrows will come at once and your brain will work on reflexes, and so you will either play with your original style (which won't work in your spread position), or have a moment's hesitation where you don't know what to press at all.

With this said, if you want to improve, you must practice. It won't come immediately, it will come gradually. Start simple, and VERY slowly go up. Even if you could AAA guru songs one-handed, you must start with beginner songs in spread.

Good luck!

EDIT - I won't give you many tips for hand position because that is to decide for yourself. Although if you want to play spread correctly, you must use both index and middle fingers, and I recommend both keys be directly next to each other, and not in a diagonal otherwise your arm may be in an awkward position (eg. On the numpad, don't use 8 and 6 for up and right, use 8 and 9). But this is not for me to decide, it is entirely up to you. You choose which keys you want to use based on what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Last edited by Gilly G; 05-16-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Gilly G is offline   Reply With Quote