View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #30
regretful
FFR Player

Default Re: Guitar Hero. Awesome.

Okay, my one-post history isn't likely to lend me much credibility, but whatever.

I've been playing DDR for years. I love ITG and PIU. I even get into things like Technic Beat, Taiko Drum Master, and the most relevant to the conversation, Guitar Hero.

Yes, Guitar Hero is purely American. It's American Rock, like it or not. They're familiar songs, and most of the players can hum along with the melody as it plays. This is one part of the appeal.

Easy controls, yeah. The solos get tricky, and the middle sections get repetative, but it's an accurate representation of just what it tries to be. You play the full song, and with relative accuracy. The notechart has to match the music.

Sure, an accuracy rating would have been nice, but is it manditory because that is the standard Konami has set? If they really wanted to, they could tighten it up so it's perfect or nothing, and people would complain.

In the end, Guitar Hero serves a cause. It's mainstream. DDR has been breaking into the spotlight, yes, but it's still a niche game. Guitar Hero is slowly breaking out of that niche. Look at the original poster's brother. While the game isn't the cream of the crop, the hardest, the best implimented, or elite enough for some of you... It has an audience. And -any- music game that brings attention to the genre and gets great reviews is good for the genre as a whole. The more attention, the more marketable it seems. Konami is much more likely to bring over Guitar Freaks since Guitar Hero sells so well. Popularity sells games, and as such, don't insult the gateway game. Today Guitar Hero, tomorrow IIDX. Eventually, something greater than both.

Call yourself cutting edge, you know better, but the masses don't. You can insult them for liking a 'lesser' form of your passtime, or you can embrace them and show them what they are missing.

Damn, this is sounding a bit too preachy. I didn't mean to come off that way. I'd go retype it all if I weren't too lazy.

Bah.
regretful is offline   Reply With Quote