View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: Braeden's Files! 5 packs, 100+ songs

so I downloaded this out of curiosity. Got ITG pack, DDR B3

I of course played Akasagarbha, having stepped it myself.

The file's sync is slightly early (something like 0.015 early). The steps themselves are quite bland and don't accentuate much in the song. The patterns are very basic. The 16ths at the end are pretty inconsistent and are all over the place. An expert chart probably could've been made out of this, but max difficulty being 9 I imagine this is for your target audience. So I looked for some harder files of yours since I'm used to playing 13+. I then notice you have all kinds of harder files. Great, straight down my alley.

I find my song, Dumpstream.

oh boy.

I notice a lot of songs are re-steps, but has a few original songs that I'm familiar with that I haven't seen stepped yet, which is nice.

Most songs don't even have graphics, which makes it seem like a very rushed project. Graphics do make quite a difference when selecting a song; visual appeal encourages a player to play said simfile because it gives the impression that effort was put into it. Your .sm files also have banners and backgrounds that no longer exist, and getting that error in StepMania is pretty annoying every time I select a song.

So I settled on Renard's Future Destination as a "harder" file to play. I played this on pad mind you.

The file is a step up from Akasagarbha, but there are a lot of things upsetting about it. First of all, the holds don't really follow or accentuate anything. They seem to be thrown in for the sake of having holds in the file. The mines don't particularly add anything to the file since they are thrown in intermittently and don't really add any difficulty, nor are they relevant to anything that's going on in the song.

The patterns in this file could use a bit of work, especially some of the 16th note runs. Most are staircases or awkward patterns that kill the flow of the file. The song is abruptly cut at the end, which is another indication that some more effort could've been put into this pack in general. Wasn't very impressed.

My impression of this pack in a nutshell.