View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #353
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Video Game Mega Pack 4 (RELEASED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsDragon View Post
I get that this is a personal preference, but I really don't understand what "non-sightreadable" is supposed to mean in this context. Every BPM change in Commodore, aside from the two slowdowns, is purely for visual flair; the notes still line up with the exact rhythms that they're charted to. They're honestly really tame. And isn't the point of a sightread to learn what's going on in the chart so you can do better the next time? I dunno, that's my personal thing with gimmick files.

I mean, I can understand what about that section would make it feel like it wouldn't align; the pauses come right before the next notes instead of right after the notes just so you can see the upcoming notes before you play them, but mathematically speaking there's no reason why it shouldn't align properly.

Also why does everyone read the title as Your Worst Nightmare, I get that's an actual common phrase but it's Your Best Nightmare :P

Now this is totally fair, I can understand the own-chart bias because I experience that all the time with Guitar Hero charting. The heavy was basically my original chart and then I was asked if I could add an oni with more layering and jacks and I did that.

Although telling me that it "isn't what I wanted out of it, the experience feels incomplete" doesn't really give me much to work off of for future charts, so I would like to know what this really means.
Of course I typo the title

But shouldn't the pause be ON the note rather than before or after? Like this:
(It's the yellow number)

I also calculated the time between 16th (maybe it's the 32nds it's been a while since I made this) notes and that's how long the pause is for the sake of sync and because I didn't need to add anything during the pause.

I mentioned that I was charting it myself because it 1. Let's any bias I have be known 2. It shows that I'm just not shooting shit and that I've gone through it myself.

But to mention kinda like the whole "it feels incomplete, it's not what I wanted" deal, you're right in that it's not really helpful so I'll try to explain it (might fail.)

When I was playing the intro of the heavy version the intro is a bit dense with a LOT of mini jacks that I just don't understand their purpose / what they're to. Then @34.107 you have this really tame jumpstream going on and in oni it's more like what I did, but it's still a bit tame and I think some hands would have spiced this up better than wherever else you've used them in the oni file.

Like here's what my section @34.107 looks like for reference:

Like you could pull out the mines and it'd suit your oni chart a little better I think.

Just neither your oni chart or the heavy chart hit that nice blend of simple yet effective I was looking for. One is too dense, and the other has parts like 34.107 that are just, I dunno why it'd be jumpstream even in an easier version of the file.

Hopefully that gives you more to work with, at the end of the day this is purely down to preference and just two people approaching it differently. Which is sometimes why charting can be really fun.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote